Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New video card, profiling woes - possibly

My old card was, well old and also causing crashes and mouse freezes on my pc. So I've bought a new GeForce gt710 and installed it. All good so far. I then ran displaycal to calibrate my BEnq2420pt, a monitor with a calibrated gamma. My calibration device is a now, long in the tooth, Spyder 3. I've read various things about whether this device is reliable on LED monitors and indeed whether the BEnq even needs calibrating.

I ran displaycal after downloading the Argyle plugins for the Spyder3, using the default settings. The initial appraisal of the monitor it does showed it not to need any pre-adjustment and so I moved onto calibration.

The results I've got are quite different from previously and now I doubt what i see. It could be the old card was just faulty and I immediately noticed better detail and more saturated colours but I'm not sure if they are right.

So for instance if I look at the lagom site LCD monitor test images in the white saturation window the square patterns take on a definite pink cast from 247 on, though I can distinguish all squares. For the Gamma test, well this has never worked for me in a browser and I generally download the images and view them in Photoshop and in there they display, with some variation, around 2.2, red being the furthest from this value, funnily enough.

To describe what I'm seeing, if I look at this website, I see a grey border and then, using the default style selector, a slight pink surround to the post box and indeed all quotes are in a slight pink box. The pink is darker and more obvious than it was previously.

If I remove the videocard gamma lookup tables using the option in displaycal, the whole display brightens slightly but my colours don't change. In general, colours look right in LR and PS but more saturated than previously.

If I run the windows calibration device and do it manually, I end up with a much brighter display, pretty similar to what I had before and the pink boxes on this website are more washed out but still visible and the pink cast on the lagom test almost gone.

The trouble is I don't know what to trust now. Help much appreciated.

07-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Closed Account

Original Poster
OK, as you were :-)

I ran it again and phew! No colour cast, I'm not seeing pink anymore. Not sure what I did first time around. I did start up the BEnq display pilot software the other day and that has a nasty habit of changing things. My colour space wasn't set to srgb but standard, I'm pretty sure Display Pilot did that. The other thing I did was download some colorimeter corrections but I'm not entirely sure if they were applied and how.

Back to Lightroom to change those pics I altered the saturation on now......
07-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
My colour space wasn't set to srgb but standard
After you run a calibration on a screen, you should be using that calibration, not sRGB or "standard"
07-07-2020, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
After you run a calibration on a screen, you should be using that calibration, not sRGB or "standard"
OK. It is, it's loaded the calibration profile but I wasn't sure of the relationship between the hard monitor settings and the profile. I was casting around for an explanation of why it was so wrong the first time.