Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How do you store your lenses?

How do you store your lenses when not in use? I have neoprene pouches which I use and put them lenses in camera bag which bag does not have pouches.

The problem with the pouches is that when I am in a rush to go I can't find the lens I want to use as I have to open so many pouches. Is it okay to store the lenses on a shelf, or will they become more dusty inside?

Back in my Pentax ME Super lifetime I had only two lenses, one attached to the camera and one in a case. So I always kept the camera and lenses in the bag. Now that I have 8-9 lenses I'd like to learn a best storage method.

07-08-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Put a name plate/ sticker on the pouch, at least you only have to stumble through the same size pouch for the lens you want
( how do I know ).

Dave
07-09-2020, 12:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I would never keep lenses in a pouch. Freely circulating fresh dry air is my preference. A cupboard with the doors slightly ajar in my case.
07-09-2020, 01:45 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
How do you store your lenses?
On the camera bodies... so good to go.

07-09-2020, 03:29 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I live in the UK, we have a climate that tends not to suffer extremes of temperature or humidity, which makes lens storage easier. I have a study (more like a hobby room) with cupboards, and I store my lenses on the shelves in those. I don't keep them in pouches, but I do leave both end caps in place...
07-09-2020, 03:52 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in a big grey box:

the big grey box project - or where am I going to store 50+ lenses and the rest of it - PentaxForums.com
07-09-2020, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you store your lenses when not in use? I have neoprene pouches which I use and put them lenses in camera bag which bag does not have pouches.

The problem with the pouches is that when I am in a rush to go I can't find the lens I want to use as I have to open so many pouches. Is it okay to store the lenses on a shelf, or will they become more dusty inside?

Back in my Pentax ME Super lifetime I had only two lenses, one attached to the camera and one in a case. So I always kept the camera and lenses in the bag. Now that I have 8-9 lenses I'd like to learn a best storage method.
. Only 8-9 lenses, and you have storage issues? Try dealing with 50-60

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I would never keep lenses in a pouch. Freely circulating fresh dry air is my preference. A cupboard with the doors slightly ajar in my case.
This is how I store many of mine., but I have a “GO BAG” to steal an expression from specialized Urgent response groups That contains my regular gear, so a minimal kit is always packed and ready.. my legacy glass is what is in cupboards, because when I am using it, I generally think much more about what I am going out to shoot

07-09-2020, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I use two hard cases to store my lenses. One Nanuk 935 rolling case with cube foam for my longer/larger lenses and a 930 for the more compact ones. I also have a Nanuk 960 for my lighting gear and a 920 for various and sundry"'stuff" I like to have along.

It's not all that uncommon for me just to throw all 4 cases (forgot about that 920) in the truck when going to a photo shoot. At least it stays organized for an hour or two and makes it super easy to load up quickly and not wish I'd brought lensX or speedlight B. Nanuks are on sale regularly at B&H, really as good as Pelicans IMHO yet FAR less expensive. I never buy them at the retail price.

BTW I recently added dessicant packs to all of them after another poster here made me aware of not only sealing out the weather but also sealing in moisture in these types of hard cases and in the worst-case accidently creating an environment for fungus to start. Mine don't stay shut all the time anyway and are stored in airconditioning when home but better to be safe. A pack of 60 color change ones is only $10 at Amazon.

I also have a padded Lowepro slingbag I'll generally store a pair of lenses in that I lean on a lot when going out into the unknown, but the specific contents are really for another thread. Keeping this one on topic.

Of course most of us probably have "that shelf" for those lenses we almost never use.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-09-2020 at 06:06 AM.
07-09-2020, 06:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My lenses are in bags as kits so I can just grab and go. I do have packs of dessicant in each bag just in case humidity becomes a problem but in reality we don't suffer from prolonged periods of humid weather.
07-09-2020, 07:21 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually store my Limited lenses in a hard case and my Takumar and other lenses in a Fish Tackle bag. (* not showing off just a proud Papa)
Attached Images

07-09-2020, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most used ones are either on camera or in the bag (with desiccant) ready to go, and the house is AC without humidity problems. Previously other lenses have been stored in lens pouches with desiccant or camera bags with desiccant. Some stored on a shelf. A few months ago I acquired a Ruggard Dry cabinet and several store in there. The quick bag is still used, but when I go out in damp conditions those all get put into the dry cabinet, which also contains desiccant. I have a small Pelican case for boat travel to close by islands. Sea air can be damp so they call get into the dry case when home,

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
A pack of 60 color change ones is only $10 at Amazon.
Thanks for that tip on the color changing desiccant, I need to restock anyway, so I just ordered before I forgot.
07-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in an area near the water that often has high humidity. Anything in a closed case/pouch seems at risk of moisture damage, so I keep them in a gun safe with a GoldenRod dehumidifier, and that has worked well.

GoldenRod Dehumidifier Rod 12 (Protects 100 Cubic Feet) Detachable
07-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I store my lenses in a small polyethylene zip-lock pouch placed in a labeled Pentax lens pouch with a small packet of desiccant in the poly pouch. The poly pouch is dust proof and the desiccant absorbs any moisture the lens may have brought with it. The Pentax pouch makes it easy to identify lenses and provides a degree of abrasion and impact protection. It's also important to check the desiccant periodically (get the color changing indicator variety) and replace if necessary since the poly can leak moisture long-term. The desiccant packs can be recycled quite a few times by heating them in a microwave or conventional oven to restore their absorbing qualities.

https://dryndry.com/

Last edited by Bob 256; 07-09-2020 at 08:49 AM.
07-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I'm on the road, I put my lenses in their original leather pouches and put them in a bag that looks like a lunch box. This way nobody knows what i have in there...
07-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've used similar lens pouches for the last 40 years with no problems, here in New England where we have cold winters and warm humid summers. I label the pouches for easy ID.

You can use 3D fabric paint for a permanent label, or painter's tape for hard to stick surfaces (my method)