Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #1

eBay purchases from JAPAN

Hello Pentaxians,

Anyone have experiences with eBay purchases from Japan? There are few Pentax items that I am interested in and I am leary of over seas purchases.

Thanks for any information

07-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #2

I ordered my FA35 f2 from Japan (high seller rating) and it was ok.
07-10-2020, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've bought from Japan sellers several times with excellent results. Check the feedback rating of the seller of course.

I found the packaging to be well done, the items to be in at least as good a condition as described and shipping to be prompt.

I would not hesitate to order from Japan again assuming the seller has good feedback rating.
07-10-2020, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've bought from Japan sellers several times with excellent results. Check the feedback rating of the seller of course.
I found the packaging to be well done, the items to be in at least as good a condition as described and shipping to be prompt.
I would not hesitate to order from Japan again assuming the seller has good feedback rating.
Same. I've had much better experience ordering from Japanese eBay shops than I've had from this forum.

07-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Over the past 10 years, I've made a number of purchases from Japanese sources on ebay. I have never had a problem with anything ordered, always well packed, reasonable communication, and interestingly sometimes a cute little extra item has been added. I will also add that I haven't had any problem with purchases on this forum either. What I would say about Japanese purchases, is that you get exactly what you see or are shown. Be sure to study both descriptions and images provided. I haven't had to ask a lot of questions but that's a good practice as well. There is usually a time lag on communications, perhaps due to time zone differences. Also, with any ebay purchase, have a look at the rating of the seller, doesn't have to be perfect but a bad rating would usually make me look elsewhere.

Bottom line, as said above, after fully shopping for a purchase on ebay, if the thing you want is from Japan and price is right, I would have no hesitation making a purchase from Japan.
07-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ditto for me. I have bought dozens of items from Japan and had no issues. The only problem might be the shipping method if you order a small/cheap item and postage is included. That usually means surface mail and it could take two months to get to North America. On the other end of the shipping scale I have received items from Japan and it only took three days to my home in Vancouver. (EMS) Example: I ordered a camera Sunday evening and I had the camera in my hands Wednesday.

Phil.
07-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same here. Bought one or two items from Japan. No issues.

07-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Same here have bought several from Japan... Recently a Pentax HD PENTAX D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Lens... only thing it didn't include was the case but the condition was superb like new.
As others mention pay attention to the seller rating on any Ebay transaction.
07-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good experiences here too. I have ordered a lot lately. One seller cancelled my order because he said Japan post is closed for international orders right now (which I googled, and it is). All other sellers must have used a different service because packages arrived in a few days, which is remarkable.
07-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I had a bad experience with eBay seller madokakubota. Item significantly not as described. I would advise you to avoid this seller.
07-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had 3-4 transactions from Japanese sellers, and they've all been good.
07-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gjm Quote
Hello Pentaxians,

Anyone have experiences with eBay purchases from Japan? There are few Pentax items that I am interested in and I am leary of over seas purchases.

Thanks for any information
What is their feedback? A seasoned seller should have 99% or better.
07-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
What I would say about Japanese purchases, is that you get exactly what you see or are shown. Be sure to study both descriptions and images provided. I haven't had to ask a lot of questions but that's a good practice as well.
I had a very recent issue with a Japanese seller and an FA85 he was offering.

I bought his lens before noticing a discrepancy between the photos in the listing and the photos in the description. Serial numbers didn't match. I sent him an inquiry and as it turns out the lens in the listing with that serial number wasn't actually available, nor was the serial number lens in the description.

He told me he had three in his warehouse which were in the same condition as the listing, Excellent ++++, and he'd even toss in the original case at no extra charge if I would accept one of those instead. I declined and to his credit he did not hesitate to refund me that same day.

Certainly possible it was a series of honest mistakes, but my advice is to pay close attention to those serial numbers.

And FWIW this was the first issue I'd had with a Japanese seller. I've bought a half dozen lenses from Japan sellers before and been extremely satisfied.

Oh, and a fellow forum member came thru with an excellent version of the FA85 with a better price and better than he described. I've never had an issue with a seller here so given the option I prefer to deal with the forum. Due diligence of course no matter who you buy from.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-10-2020 at 02:39 PM.
07-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with blackcloudbrew about carefully checking the pictures. I bought a 60-250 listed as "mint" and got a lens with no hood or foot. I checked the listing and the hood and foot were not pictured. I wrongly assumed that "mint" meant as from factory. Seems that "mint and "excellent++++" mean nothing. Apart from this one incident I have done fine with items from Japan.
07-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no concerns buying from Japan through ebay, but I do the usual buyer beware checks first, as for all potential purchases. My experience has also been that Japanese sellers tend to understate the condition of their lenses; or perhaps more accurately, my expectations have always been met and often exceeded.

Just one cautionary note - check Japan Post website regarding current parcel service levels for your country. I ordered a 6x7 Takumar earlier in the COVID-19 pandemic and it stooged around within Japan Post for a couple of weeks before being sent back to the seller. JP had closed down deliveries to many countries and I had to cough up extra dollars for courier delivery via China, which worked fine.