Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2020, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have bought several of my K series lenses from Japan. Ignore the rating system, and make sure you read the description.

07-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #17

I've bought some items from Japan without any issue, they even arrived fairly quickly though that of course may be different now with everything going on. As others have stated, of course be careful to check the seller ratings.
07-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far everything I bought from Japan (several items on Ebay and Sigma 17-50 on Amazon) met expectation. But read the description with attention. If description says: "lens in excellent condition but there us some fungus which does not affect pictures" just stay away.

Last edited by jumbleview; 07-10-2020 at 10:28 PM.
07-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #19
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gjm Quote
Anyone have experiences with eBay purchases from Japan? There are few Pentax items that I am interested in and I am leary of over seas purchases.

Thanks for any information
Last year I bought two lenses that I wanted new and at the best price...excellent purchases and in a daring way they were delivered to me after passing through customs.
the FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited and the FA 35mm F2 AL.

Tutto perfetto.

Seller: nyjbloom

Link ebay: Seller

07-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #20
gjm

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Last year I bought two lenses that I wanted new and at the best price...excellent purchases and in a daring way they were delivered to me after passing through customs.
the FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited and the FA 35mm F2 AL.

Tutto perfetto.

Seller: nyjbloom

Link ebay: Seller
Thanks for all the replies and information this is very helpful and definitely builds my confidence in purchasing from sellers in Japan. I love purchasing from this forum and I have had great experiences but somethings are just not available here in the US.
07-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #21
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
due diligence is necessary, but I've bought quite a few lenses from Japan via eBay.... never any issues...

be aware that shipping may be longer right now than expected, but should not be too much of a problem...
07-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ive had plenty of purchases over the years,Ive found the Japanese very honorable to deal with.So far all items have matched description.

Tom is a seller there who services everything he sells,probably had half a dozen from him.All good.

07-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #23
maw
Pentaxian

Thanks for all the replies and information this is very helpful and definitely builds my confidence in purchasing from sellers in Japan. I love purchasing from this forum and I have had great experiences but somethings are just not available here in the US.
If you happen to contact the store, the owner's name is Naomi...(no Campbell)
07-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #24
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Ive found the Japanese very honorable to deal with
Me too. As far as the description of the condition of the items I have bought, most have been called " Excellent " but were in reality " Mint."
The sellers are usually quite happy to answer any questions you may have prior to purchase.
But as with any purchase, due diligence and homework are advised. Good luck.
07-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I bought my FA* 300 from Japan. It was exactly as described, in good condition.
07-11-2020, 12:59 AM   #26

Good but expensive

HI,
My experience with ebay Sellers from Japan is basically good.
BUT IT IS MORE EXPENSIVE than you Believe.
If you buy from another country your home country's VAT will be added (calculated on cost, Insurance, freight, and customs duites if any) and in a addition to that normally a standard fee to the carrier for the customs procedures. With for example the Swedish VAT of 25 per cent this means that you have to calculate an addittion of about 1/3 to the list price in ebay.
The only exception to this (I am aware of) is purchases within the EU, where the VAT is normally levied in the export country.
07-11-2020, 01:18 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Japanese suppliers

I have bought from numerous Japanese suppliers, and have always received merchandise as good or better than described. The Japanese seem to take good care of their equipment, but what else can be expected from a country that individually wraps every piece of fruit in the grocery store instead of just pouring in a bushel of fruit from a big basket to cause bruises and other damage, which the U.S. public accepts. Delivery has always been good too. I ordered one lens on a Thursday evening and had delivery the following Monday morning, faster than I generally get stuff from within the U.S. I think the Japanese do not go on holiday between the times of booking orders and shipping them.
07-11-2020, 02:44 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought an FA 135 from Japan a year and a half ago. I would just say that the title description may say: mint, but if you read the verbiage written below it will then say "glass cloudy, some scratches on mount" or things like that. Which isn't really mint in my book, but as long as you know what you are getting and choose wisely there are some good deals on lenses you can't easily find elsewhere there.
07-11-2020, 02:46 AM   #29
Pentaxian

What I see from Japan are some crazy prices and very high postage rates, like :
sakura_mankai on eBay

Many of the same perfect pictures with white backgrounds, obviously stock, are repeated over and over again even from nominally different sellers (but are they really different sellers?). I recognised one set of pictures as having been copied from the box (I happened to have such a box). I also keep finding Japanese stuff coming up in a "UK Only" search (above the "International Sellers" line) - not hard to spot but some dishonest practice is going on.
07-11-2020, 05:31 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Pentaxians,

Anyone have experiences with eBay purchases from Japan? There are few Pentax items that I am interested in and I am leary of over seas purchases.

Thanks for any information
I've bought a few items from Japan. My Nikon F2s and three lenses came from there. One thing I've noted is that the stuff coming out of Japan always seems to be cleaner and in better condition that that coming from other places.
As far as overseas purchases go, much of what we buy these days is from an overseas supplier, shipping might be a bit slow due to the ongoing pandemic, but most people are honest, and I don't think we can look at any one country and say those people are any less honest than anyone else.
I've had two eBay transactions go bad on me, and both were from USA sellers (I'm in Canada). However, most of my eBay purchases have been out of the USA,. so on the balance of probabilities, the likelihood of my running into a dishonest seller is higher with USA purchases. I don't let it worry me, using eBay is rolling the dice and taking your chances. Occasionally, you will roll snake eyes.
Look at the sellers reputation. If it's good, odds are you will have a good transaction. If it's bad, assume that the odds of a happy transaction are not on your side and guide yourself accordingly.