Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 155 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2020, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

I don't think your problem or dilemma ever had anything to do with your gear or your talent. You already have more than you know what to do with. I recognize you're getting over it now, but I think the feelings you experienced that led you to make this post originally may have been borne of some kind of denial. I can't speculate beyond that because I don't know you, but there are numerous ways we all mislead ourselves like this, and we do it frequently. Perhaps there was something in your life you could avoid by becoming dissatisfied with your gear or direction, or something along those lines. It doesn't matter to me, and you don't need to share it with the forum if you're thinking of something specific right now.

What I'm suggesting is that you'll organically feel better for working through whatever led to those feelings originally, and it will help a lot longer than convincing yourself temporarily to go out and shoot more. Aim for being pulled out there to shoot more by your own self, rather than pushed. Ask yourself what you still need to accept in order to feel that pull again, and then chip away at yourself with questions. The problem with convincing ourselves of things is that it's self limiting based on our attention spans and past habits, and our degree of self honesty. Acceptance has a much more powerful effect on us, though it necessitates greater self honesty to get there about any given issue. You sound in a good place to do this now, because the intolerable feelings have reached their limit, for now. This isn't the first time though, is it?

Just ideas. This is an aspect of how I tackle myself, and if I weren't satisfied with how that's progressing, I wouldn't say anything about it. It's good to actively try to better understand ourselves all through life. It's not like we ever finish trying, no matter how hard we try.

07-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I don't think your problem or dilemma ever had anything to do with your gear or your talent. You already have more than you know what to do with. I recognize you're getting over it now, but I think the feelings you experienced that led you to make this post originally may have been borne of some kind of denial. I can't speculate beyond that because I don't know you, but there are numerous ways we all mislead ourselves like this, and we do it frequently. Perhaps there was something in your life you could avoid by becoming dissatisfied with your gear or direction, or something along those lines. It doesn't matter to me, and you don't need to share it with the forum if you're thinking of something specific right now.

What I'm suggesting is that you'll organically feel better for working through whatever led to those feelings originally, and it will help a lot longer than convincing yourself temporarily to go out and shoot more. Aim for being pulled out there to shoot more by your own self, rather than pushed. Ask yourself what you still need to accept in order to feel that pull again, and then chip away at yourself with questions. The problem with convincing ourselves of things is that it's self limiting based on our attention spans and past habits, and our degree of self honesty. Acceptance has a much more powerful effect on us, though it necessitates greater self honesty to get there about any given issue. You sound in a good place to do this now, because the intolerable feelings have reached their limit, for now. This isn't the first time though, is it?

Just ideas. This is an aspect of how I tackle myself, and if I weren't satisfied with how that's progressing, I wouldn't say anything about it. It's good to actively try to better understand ourselves all through life. It's not like we ever finish trying, no matter how hard we try.
Sure isn't the first time and it is good I am making past the intolerable at the moment. I need to - Recognizing who I am? What is it that I want? Where I am going? When will I know? Why do I want that? How will I get what I want? Only by being honest with myself and owning it will I get there.
07-20-2020, 12:15 PM   #63

mhsp1948,

Tons of good advice and personal statements on this thread.

I started with film in 1977. I have a Pentax ESII, Fujica, and Minolta (with lenses) in the closet. I have Pentax K2000, K200D, K-5, K-3, and K-1 with lenses back to the late 1960s (M42 & K mount) and use a mix of them. I have never shot Canon (have seen a lot), tried a couple Nikons (but stayed with Pentax), and don't regret it. Whatever I have "missed" hasn't mattered much to me. There is some nice old Nikon glass that can be adapted if you shoot manual, which I do quite a bit.

My advice, take your Pentax K-1 equipment, enjoy it as much as possible, and like a good truck....run it until the wheels fall off, then worry about what you are going to do.

Make good captures, be happy.

JB
07-20-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
Sure isn't the first time and it is good I am making past the intolerable at the moment. I need to - Recognizing who I am? What is it that I want? Where I am going? When will I know? Why do I want that? How will I get what I want? Only by being honest with myself and owning it will I get there.
Your last sentence there is key, and the questions are like the journey. I think you understand. "What are my values?" is another good starting point. I felt a bit bad for the brevity of my comment above, because I think I can offer more if it's wanted. I'm refactoring some of my ideas and when it's ready I could point you to the thread. There are a few things I want to share anyway. It might be a day or so. You absorbed this more easily than most people. IDK if it means anything but it's true and I think it bodes well.

07-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Your last sentence there is key, and the questions are like the journey. I think you understand. "What are my values?" is another good starting point. I felt a bit bad for the brevity of my comment above, because I think I can offer more if it's wanted. I'm refactoring some of my ideas and when it's ready I could point you to the thread. There are a few things I want to share anyway. It might be a day or so. You absorbed this more easily than most people. IDK if it means anything but it's true and I think it bodes well.
I will be watching and waiting for what you want to share.
07-20-2020, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Went out this evening and shot these photos with my KP and 20-40mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
07-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #67

Very interesting "gnòthi seautòn" thread ...
I love the third photo too such as the marvellous and surreal atmosphere of #49:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/173-general-photography/502994d1594998887-help-me-out-my-thinking-_img0831_edit_edit-3-1_pe-2.jpg

Meanwhile i'm going to read Philoslothical's essay on "humanity's root problem"...

Thanks

All the best
Ben

Last edited by Ben-G; 07-23-2020 at 10:07 AM.
07-24-2020, 06:38 AM - 3 Likes   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I have the exact opposite problem. A few weeks ago, my wife said to me, why don't you buy a better camera. I blinked and then said, I'm not sure i need a better camera...........
Man.... she must have done something bad...... I'd get a motor bike.....