Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2020, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Deep red light is good for older eyes

As photographers, our eyes are our most important asset, along with our brain. We've heard that looking at blue light can be bad for your eyes and brain. This article explains that looking at certain frequencies of deep red light is actually good for your eyes, especially if you are over 40.
Declining eyesight improved by looking at deep red light -- ScienceDaily

I'm interested to know if it would be possible to create an image file that is just a field of 970nm red. It may not be possible for my monitor to produce it. It's an IPS, but 970nm may be outside of sRGB or even AdobeRGB color space. I used to do a fair amount of color management years ago as part of my job, but I have lost track of the technical websites I used for deep diving into color. Some sites may have been related to Pantone or Munsell.

Anyone care to comment?

07-16-2020, 03:42 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
As photographers, our eyes are our most important asset, along with our brain. We've heard that looking at blue light can be bad for your eyes and brain. This article explains that looking at certain frequencies of deep red light is actually good for your eyes, especially if you are over 40.
Declining eyesight improved by looking at deep red light -- ScienceDaily

I'm interested to know if it would be possible to create an image file that is just a field of 970nm red. It may not be possible for my monitor to produce it. It's an IPS, but 970nm may be outside of sRGB or even AdobeRGB color space. I used to do a fair amount of color management years ago as part of my job, but I have lost track of the technical websites I used for deep diving into color. Some sites may have been related to Pantone or Munsell.

Anyone care to comment?
970nm is actually infrared and you can't see that far into the infrared spectrum. The LED output of a monitor before it goes through the red/green/blue filtering pattern is the determining factor and it's unlikely it has much if any 970nm light in it.

In reports I've read, the deep red you're referring to is the red at the end of the visible spectrum around 750 nanometers (650-780nm). For that, you can obtain some LEDs whose output is near this range and that would provide a good deep red source. DO NOT look directly at the LEDs since they are extremely intense and much brighter than they appear (due to eye sensitivity at those wavelengths) and can cause significant eye damage when focused as point sources. Use a good diffuser between the LEDs and your eyes. You can close your eyes because these wavelengths penetrate your eyelids quite well.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lumileds/L1C1-DRD1000000000?qs=W0yvOO0i...pd4fpaLQ%3D%3D

Last edited by Bob 256; 07-16-2020 at 03:51 PM.
07-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the response Bob 256. The article didn't go into detail about how the research was conducted. In my mind, infrared is beyond 'deep red'. You can't look at a red that you can't see IMO, so I think the article was a little misleading for those of us who didn't catch that 970nm is IR.
07-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The article you reference talks about 670nm:

"All participants were then given a small LED torch to take home and were asked to look into its deep red 670nm light beam for three minutes a day for two weeks. They were then re-tested for their rod and cone sensitivity"

07-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #5
Forum Member

Interesting. This bears some similarity to the Purkinje effect and the use of red lights in dark control rooms to maintain photopic vision.
07-17-2020, 12:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
The article you reference talks about 670nm:

"All participants were then given a small LED torch to take home and were asked to look into its deep red 670nm light beam for three minutes a day for two weeks. They were then re-tested for their rod and cone sensitivity"
I was reading the OP's post and wondered about 970 nm. My logic was 670 nm and you confirmed that.

---------- Post added 07-17-20 at 10:45 AM ----------

Thanks for the response Bob 256. The article didn't go into detail about how the research was conducted. In my mind, infrared is beyond 'deep red'. You can't look at a red that you can't see IMO, so I think the article was a little misleading for those of us who didn't catch that 970nm is IR.
Two Colari Vision 665 nm round filters will solve your problem. 😉
07-17-2020, 04:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No wonder I enjoy working in the darkroom so much!

Yes, as long as I've been making BW prints an OC (amber) filter has been standard,
but I couldn't resist the reference to the movie & TV stereotype of the red safelight...

Chris

07-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
The article you reference talks about 670nm
Oops, my bad. So, going back to my original question, is an IPS monitor capable of reproducing a 670nm field of red? If so, how do I go about creating an image file with this wavelength. Is this something I could do with GIMP or RawTherapee?
07-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
Forum Member

Oops, my bad. So, going back to my original question, is an IPS monitor capable of reproducing a 670nm field of red? If so, how do I go about creating an image file with this wavelength. Is this something I could do with GIMP or RawTherapee?
No, I don't believe so. Primary red for a typical monitor meant to span the sRGB color space is a shorter wavelength, ~610-615nm. Human sensitivity to red light dips extremely low in the high 600s, and I believe 670nm only excites your long-wavelength cone cells (most of the spectrum excites at least 2 types of cone cells, allowing for greater color resolution). Using a primary in that range doesn't have much benefit in terms of increasing the appreciable color gamut to a human observer.
07-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, that makes sense. Oh well, I'll just let my old eyes degrade naturally I guess.
07-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
970nm is actually infrared and you can't see that far into the infrared spectrum. The LED output of a monitor before it goes through the red/green/blue filtering pattern is the determining factor and it's unlikely it has much if any 970nm light in it.

In reports I've read, the deep red you're referring to is the red at the end of the visible spectrum around 750 nanometers (650-780nm). For that, you can obtain some LEDs whose output is near this range and that would provide a good deep red source. DO NOT look directly at the LEDs since they are extremely intense and much brighter than they appear (due to eye sensitivity at those wavelengths) and can cause significant eye damage when focused as point sources. Use a good diffuser between the LEDs and your eyes. You can close your eyes because these wavelengths penetrate your eyelids quite well.

L1C1-DRD1000000000 Lumileds | Mouser
Thanks I think I will give it a try. I'll keep you posted...
07-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Anyone able to post the actual original report from Journals of Gerontology...I located the original study but only available with a paid subscription. Would be interesting to look at the actual original study and data before reaching any conclusions.
07-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Anyone able to post the actual original report from Journals of Gerontology...I located the original study but only available with a paid subscription. Would be interesting to look at the actual original study and data before reaching any conclusions.
Here's something close - good reading.

Can Red Light Exposure Improve Eyesight?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/06/200629120241.htm
07-19-2020, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

That is the synopsis of the original study...I need the original study
07-20-2020, 09:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
That is the synopsis of the original study...I need the original study
You can always pay the fee for the complete report