Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2020, 09:04 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Walk around or stay in place? Both. "Street photography" can mean different things to different people, so my reply is in the context of unposed photos with people in them, rather than posed portraits or urban architecture.

Stay in place: This is what I do when I find a good scene due to lighting or the setting. I'll think about the shot I want, compose, keep the camera away from my face, then snap as people walk through the scene. The 1st photo below is an example of waiting.

Walk around: I see much more when I walk. That gives me more opportunities for inspiration, I see more architecture and other things as I move, and I can do some photography while commuting. My technique for shooting while walking is wide angle lens, manually focus around 8 feet in front of me before I start walking, stop down to get extra depth of field, and pick a very fast shutter speed. TAv mode works well for that. See 2nd photo for example.

07-21-2020, 12:57 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same as shooting birds really. Can go for a walk and shoot what you see..... can stake out a flowering bush.... from a pre determined perspective to make the most of light, background etc.... and wait for birds.... etc etc I like to mix it up.... generally I look for the possibility of that one extra element (at least) over normal or good.

The dog looking in sync with owner was the +1 for this shot (for me)

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-21-2020 at 01:03 AM.
07-21-2020, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

It's both. You walk around but over time keep coming back to the same spots at different times of the day. Soon monotony gives way to more acute observation whether it's the light or people's routines or local characters. You make mental notes about what might be worth coming back to. Almost all the photos I've taken in the last two months have been in my neighbourhood and within a dog's walk radius of where I live. This is more by necessity than by design. It's photography in a time of plague.
07-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks for all your contribution, it is very various but illuminating to me. I will give a try and shoot more photos to get know the street snapshoot.

07-23-2020, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
I think this question again and get an analog. To be a hunter or a fisherman in the streets. Thanks all.
07-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lpviva Quote
I think this question again and get an analog. To be a hunter or a fisherman in the streets. Thanks all.
That sounds Zen-like to me, since hunting and fishing can both be done by moving around, or staying in one spot for hours.

Fishing on a boat is a good example. If you're catching fish, stay where you are. If you're not catching fish, move.
07-25-2020, 03:29 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Here is one that I waited for after picking a spot:

This one grabbed my eye while walking around:

There is no hard and fast answer. It all depends on whether the fish are biting.

07-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be a hunter or a fisherman in the streets.
Good analogy. Many of the traits for hunting and fishing lend themselves to street photography.

Whether walking or waiting, one needs to be observant of the activities and attitudes of the people in an area. Oftentimes, I walk about, and stop when I notice activities or locations where people might be encountered.
The value of waiting and observing allows one get used to the rhythms of people moving in and area, and to anticipate the moment when a good image can be captured.

There are many threads for street photos, there is also a Pentax Forums Street Photography group that is always ready for new images

Last edited by robgski; 07-25-2020 at 09:39 AM.
07-26-2020, 02:03 AM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Walking around or stay in one place to snapshoot on streets
I tend to find a suitable location and then let the scene develop in front of me... but move after a wee while, cos there's always a better location just waiting to be found.
07-26-2020, 02:49 AM   #25
Pentaxian

For the most part I just move around. When I do see a good spot that is worth hanging around, I only take a few shots and move on.
12-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #26
Lev
Veteran Member

Dear All,

I am newbie here. All your ideas of this will be highly appreciated by me.

Just curious you are walking around or stay in one place to catch a glimpse you expected when you snapshoot on streets? Walking around on streets makes myself tired soon and out of focus. And you?
Same here. Actualy we are planning, mostly me and my friend to go out for shooting. we already know where to go. Having said that, you may find very interesting subjects by just walking around, it is just very time consuming and hard, especialy at uneven places.
12-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I took this one while walking around downtown Louisville with my dog and my GRiii. Not to stereotype too much but the juxtaposition of the rainbow window text and a manly man with a patriotic hat amused me. Even my gay friends were amused.

The crazy thing thing is there was a woman the gentleman knew across the street with a cell phone on a tripod shooting the same seen. She asked me not to photograph her. So what I first thought was a happenstance may have been staged.

The point is I was hunting. When I’m at the Big Four Pedestrian Bridge I’m more likely to be fishing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
12-07-2021, 01:12 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Walk around until you want to take a shot, shop/sit and blend into the surroundings. Then you are ready for anything....
agree, this is it, same for me
12-07-2021, 06:39 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Depending where you are, it might not be safe or diplomatic to stay in one place. It might be OK in a tourist spot or a park, but there are plenty of places in the UK (probably the majority) where hanging around can invite trouble. You could even be charged with Loitering with Intent or something similar. If you are taking candid shots, asI have done in London wholesale markets like Smithfields and Borough, it is best not to hang around after a shot - some of those market guys are touchy about photos.
12-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #30
Lev
Veteran Member

whole day walking with my K3 and DFA* 70-200 and my wife. not a single shot, she prefer shopping so I just follow :/ I'm sure I wouldn't be so tired shooting pictures.