Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2020, 03:06 AM   #1

Walking around or stay in one place to snapshoot on streets

Dear All,

I am newbie here. All your ideas of this will be highly appreciated by me.

Just curious you are walking around or stay in one place to catch a glimpse you expected when you snapshoot on streets? Walking around on streets makes myself tired soon and out of focus. And you?

07-20-2020, 03:24 AM   #2

Hello Ipviva,

I believe it is up to personal choice. Myself, I walked around to look for interesting spot and took my time to take photos. It is time consuming sometimes, though. If I know the area, I would stay at one spot to wait for my chance.
07-20-2020, 03:34 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and knowledge here

QuoteQuote:
Just curious you are walking around or stay in one place to catch a glimpse you expected when you snapshoot on streets?
for me, that would depend:

on what is going on - how active is the area - does it change or remain the same ?

on what my goals are ?

and I don't know if there is one single correct answer

personally I might stay in an interesting area and then decide to either go home or move on to another or I might just wander from the beginning

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-20-2020 at 04:44 AM.
07-20-2020, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I walk. Actually I walk a lot, especially when travelling and exploring new cities. I have used both gps and step counters, and it is very usual for me to cover 15 km in a day and/or do 30,000 steps in a day.

I find that if you just sit and wait, the chances of a “good shot” are very rare for me it is better to go out and find shots than wait for them to come to you

07-20-2020, 05:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't get to shoot streets that often, but I find walking gets more opportunities, but if you get tired stop and sit. Certain places with a lot of foot traffic could be a really good spot. Do whatever is best for you, but if you are getting tired, the exercise will probably help you. I do follow a couple of really good street shooters on Flickr, and they seem to have a combination of walking, and stopping to spend a little time at frequent places, as you can tell by the photos.
07-20-2020, 06:06 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do more event photography than true street but...Sometimes if I see an interesting background, graffiti, a street mural or store front I’ll stake it out and wait for someone to walk into the frame. Sometimes that requires me to walk around to find such a place. If I’m sitting at a sidewalk cafe, I’ll try to position myself where I have an unobstructed view and have my street camera handy.

I’ve made a few trips to the BLM protest site in Louisville. I try to keep an eye on the key players but because I’m old and get tired I often sit and pick people out of the crowd with a telephoto zoom.
07-20-2020, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends on the environment.

A fisherman with a honey hole will stay all day in one place - because success of his efforts are rewarded. A fisherman might also "troll" the waters in areas where it is harder to find fish.

Whether you go for a photo walk, or sit on a park bench waiting for the world to pass you by, you will find that your results will vary by the subject matter in your field of view. Put yourself in environments where you have lots of opportunity to get great results.

07-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't do much street shooting, but in a workshop I took years ago, the instructor talked about "the setting" and "the setting revealed". His technique was to find an interesting location, then wait for something to happen to bring life to the setting. Basically you're framing the stage and then waiting for the actors to appear, whoever or whatever they might be.
07-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I prefer to move around. It's harder but it keeps things fresh. Then again, if you spot awesome light and hang around, you can work it.
07-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #10
Forum Member

I do both. I will walk around to find interesting characters. If I see an interesting background I will wait until somebody passes between me and the background. It`s one of those questions that the answer is whatever works best for you and you feel most comfortable with will yield the best results.

Last edited by philanker2012; 07-20-2020 at 08:50 AM.
07-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philanker2012 Quote
I do both. I will walk around to find interesting characters. If I see an interesting background I will wait until somebody passes between me and the background. It`s one of those questions that the answer is whatever works best for you and you feel most comfortable with will yield the best results.
Ditto!

Walk around until you want to take a shot, shop/sit and blend into the surroundings. Then you are ready for anything....

Phil.
07-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Maybe staying at one location for a while, then moving on to another one would at least give you a chance at shooting different environments.
07-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum, I would say walking around may present a view you would otherwise miss.
07-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lpviva Quote
Dear All,

I am newbie here. All your ideas of this will be highly appreciated by me.

Just curious you are walking around or stay in one place to catch a glimpse you expected when you snapshoot on streets? Walking around on streets makes myself tired soon and out of focus. And you?
It's not really my genre of photography. However, the few times I've attempted it, I've had about equal success sitting and waiting for the pictures to come to me as I've had hunting them down.
07-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

In Chicago you truly don't have to move around alot to get plenty of great opportunities. Sometimes I like to hang around Buckingham Fountain, I can spend all day there. Between the Fountain and The Bean (cloud Gate), Millennial Park, there doesn't seem to be a great need to be extremely mobile. So, as far as I am concerned it depends on your location.

I have a few shots from the area I took a few years ago. I only have small files, I wish I would have saved the RAW data.

This was shot on film in the same location. Well, very near by in Millennial Park.

Last edited by kevinWE; 07-20-2020 at 07:20 PM.