Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Close up filter/lens question.....

A few weeks back I bought a supposed UV filter off eBay with a chrome ring. Been looking for a vintage UV with chrome filter ring for ages......

Unfortunately when it got here it turns out to be some kind of close up filter of uncertain diopter value. The lens/filter has a clear mensicus shape when viewed side on but it scarcely changes the focal range of any lens its put on. A 50mm will not focus to infinity and its out by a small measure. A test on a table top with a ruler shows that the closest focus point moves inwards but only by about 2”

Never having used one of these in my life before ( at least as far as I can recall ) can anyone advise how to find its diopter factor as I will sell it on and would like to be able to give some kind of accurate description. If the glass was removable I would take the lens out and replace with a UV for its chrome ring but the glass seems glued to the ring.

I did a bit if reading up on this but cant really find a simple method to calcualte diopter values and the change in foval length seems miniscule.

07-21-2020, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The easy way is to check the focal length with the sun.
  1. Hold a piece of paper in one hand facing the sun,
  2. hold the close-up filter in the other hand in front of the paper,
  3. steadily increase the distance and watch the diameter of the sunlight in the paper contract to a point (and burn a hole in the paper!!!!)
  4. note the distance between the paper and lens
  5. The distance between the paper and lens is the focal length.
  6. The diopter value is 1000/focal length.

(Note: don't worry too much about accurately measuring the distance. Chances are the filter is either a +1, +2, or +4 diopter filter which have very obviously distinct focal lengths of 250, 500, and 1000mm.)
07-21-2020, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The easy way is to check the focal length with the sun.

[*]steadily increase the distance and watch the diameter of the sunlight in the paper contract to a point (and burn a hole in the paper!!!!)

(Note: don't worry too much about accurately measuring the distance. Chances are the filter is either a +1, +2, or +4 diopter filter which have very obviously distinct focal lengths of 250, 500, and 1000mm.)
This can be great fun if you do it to someone reading a newspaper - news literally 'Hot off the press !'

Did this to a teacher using a magnifying glass over 60 years ago. 100 lines and six stripes. Worth it.
07-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A short lens like the 50mm won't show much change. Try a longer lens if you have one. I'm very curious.

07-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys....I’ll give it a go. My options on a long lens are limited as yhis dilter is a 55mm fit and most of my long glass has a wider dilter fit but. I will have to have a look, think I may have an old Paragon boxes up thats 135mm with a 55mm fit.
07-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Thanks guys....I’ll give it a go. My options on a long lens are limited as yhis dilter is a 55mm fit and most of my long glass has a wider dilter fit but. I will have to have a look, think I may have an old Paragon boxes up thats 135mm with a 55mm fit.
If you have a step ring it should work also. I've used a 62mm on a DA* 200 with a 62 to 72mm ring without noticable vignetting (the image is magnified so it doesn't require the full width. )

If you use a tripod you could even hold the "filter" in front of the lens for a quick test.
07-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do have step ups ( of course, I am a retro nutter ) but typically nothing for 55mm thats any help at all. I tried the sun test and it was inconclusive at best. Lens/filter wont come to a sharp point it produces a weird helix looking effect or nothing at all. Tried it on a 135mm and it does shorten the minimum focus distance by about 30cm. Which would seem a bit pointless to me. Who knows maybe macro folk have withered legs and cant move 12” closer to a target.

What I did notice though is the DOF ‘seems’ much shallower with this thing on the lens. I cant scientifically prove that right now. I would need to make up a test target and that seems a bit mad and a rigamarole.

Putting it over printed material seems to produce not much in the way of magnification.

Think I will just throw it up on ebay for 99p and see if anyone wants it. Misc camera stuff with no known application.

07-22-2020, 10:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It also could be a "Ghostles" filter

Look also at this link

Die Cast Pro - Asahi Pentax Filters
07-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ghostless ? i had a look but it isnst one of those. The glass isnt a doublet, what was really odd was when the lens was put up to the sun rather than producing a spot at focus its produced an infinity symbol ( a figure 8 on its side ), come in closer than an inch and the figure collapses to nothing. Further away and the figure just expands a little and then disappears.

I was wondering of its some kind of close field lens but will have to run some tests on its DoF and see.
07-23-2020, 05:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Ghostless ? i had a look but it isnst one of those. The glass isnt a doublet, what was really odd was when the lens was put up to the sun rather than producing a spot at focus its produced an infinity symbol ( a figure 8 on its side ), come in closer than an inch and the figure collapses to nothing. Further away and the figure just expands a little and then disappears.

I was wondering of its some kind of close field lens but will have to run some tests on its DoF and see.
Strange!

I wonder if the lens has more than one focal length like a "progressive" lens for "no-line" bifocal eye glasses.

If you point a camera and lens at a brick wall or book shelf so that the entire wall is in focus corner-to-corner and then add this filter, what happens? Does the entire wall stay in focus?... shift focus uniformly?.. Or does only a part of the wall go out of focus (but can be refocused)?