Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Different colour balance (or temperature) in each eye?

I can't recall if I've mentioned this before on PF, but I've recently become aware that my left and right eyes have a different colour balance or temperature

For some time, I've noticed that whites and greys on my calibrated screens have what I perceive to be a very, very slight reddish tint to them. Recently, I had a problem with my dominant right eye - I get frustrating, inexplicable and undiagnosed blurred vision in it at random times, thankfully quite infrequently - and whilst editing a photo I closed that eye to work on some detailed edits. To my surprise, I immediately noticed that slight red tint disappeared. My left eye gives me what my mind thinks is a more accurate white. Now, I don't know whether the left or right eye is more accurate, and since I don't have a baseline for what's really accurate, it's all perception. I can only think that when I was younger, the colour balance in both eyes was the same or less different, my mind became attuned to the resulting colour balance, and in later years my right eye has changed slightly... but, frankly, I don't know which eye to trust Since my right eye is dominant, and that's the one that - to my mind - has a slight reddish tint, that's what I see with both eyes open, and when looking through a viewfinder.

I was wondering if any other members have noticed this with their own vision? I can reproduce the effect very easily by looking at certain photos on-screen, or simply by going outside on a cloudy day and looking at the sky, first with the left eye and then with the right... It's not a huge difference, but it's immediately noticeable...

Seems like my own eyes need calibration. Sadly, DisplayCAL doesn't offer this capability yet...

07-23-2020, 02:00 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I was wondering if any other members have noticed this with their own vision?
I haven't noticed that particular anomaly but other odd issues crop up from time to time, and not just with my eyes.
Mike, I don't know the actual etiology of such things but the simple explanation is:
Getting old sucks.
Get used to it.

Seriously, have your eyes checked as the red tint could be due to blood in the vitreous humor. If that's the case the reason for it needs to be identified.

Last edited by Parallax; 07-23-2020 at 02:11 PM.
07-23-2020, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I can't recall if I've mentioned this before on PF, but I've recently become aware that my left and right eyes have a different colour balance or temperature :
Similar situation here
07-23-2020, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't recall if I've mentioned this before on PF, but I've recently become aware that my left and right eyes have a different colour balance or temperature

For some time, I've noticed that whites and greys on my calibrated screens have what I perceive to be a very, very slight reddish tint to them. Recently, I had a problem with my dominant right eye - I get frustrating, inexplicable and undiagnosed blurred vision in it at random times, thankfully quite infrequently - and whilst editing a photo I closed that eye to work on some detailed edits. To my surprise, I immediately noticed that slight red tint disappeared. My left eye gives me what my mind thinks is a more accurate white. Now, I don't know whether the left or right eye is more accurate, and since I don't have a baseline for what's really accurate, it's all perception. I can only think that when I was younger, the colour balance in both eyes was the same or less different, my mind became attuned to the resulting colour balance, and in later years my right eye has changed slightly... but, frankly, I don't know which eye to trust Since my right eye is dominant, and that's the one that - to my mind - has a slight reddish tint, that's what I see with both eyes open, and when looking through a viewfinder.

I was wondering if any other members have noticed this with their own vision? I can reproduce the effect very easily by looking at certain photos on-screen, or simply by going outside on a cloudy day and looking at the sky, first with the left eye and then with the right... It's not a huge difference, but it's immediately noticeable...

Seems like my own eyes need calibration. Sadly, DisplayCAL doesn't offer this capability yet...
The binoculars section of a Bird watching forum I belong to has a few threads on this subject....seems it is not uncommon

07-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I haven't noticed that particular anomaly but other odd issues crop up from time to time, and not just with my eyes.
Mike, I don't know the actual etiology of such things but the simple explanation is:
Getting old sucks.
Get used to it.
Well, that's just great. I hadn't noticed... until now...

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Seriously, have your eyes checked as the red tint could be due to blood in the vitreous humor. If that's the case the reason for it needs to be identified.
Thanks, Jim, I will. I get a comprehensive annual eye test whether I like it or not due to the hydroxychloroquine I'm taking for rheumatoid arthritis (it can cause problems in a small subset of folks, apparently), and nothing has shown up thus far. Plus, with this infrequent occasional blurred vision, I've had a couple of trips to the eye hospital in the last few years, but nothing has shown up there despite exhaustive tests.

As I said, the difference between left and right eyes really is very slight, but noticeable nonetheless. If it worsens, I'll seek help - otherwise, I'll mention it at my next annual eye health check, which is (I think) due within the next six months...
07-23-2020, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing which can contribute to this is the fact that you closed one eye while looking at something and then switched eyes. While that eye is closed, you are exposing it to a red field through your eyelid so when you switch to it, you see an opposite color cast due to the after image. I did this a long time ago and noticed the effect. Try blocking the closed eye externally so no light get to it through your closed eye lid (use an eye patch or something similar) and then try comparing color rendition. The eye which you closed first should show a slight blue (actually cyan) bias when compared to the eye which wasn't closed. The best way to compare eyes is with a dark card held in front of your face to cover one and then the other eye and keep both eyes open all the time. You can move it back and forth rapidly and judge to see if you really have a sight difference.
07-23-2020, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll mention it at my next annual eye health check
I don't have that problem but I am very aware of eye issues because macular degeneration occurred on my mother's side (her father and brother). When I have my annual eye check they photograph the retina so there is a record they can compare year by year. No issues so far. I hope your issue is nothing to worry about either.

07-23-2020, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Similar situation here
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
The binoculars section of a Bird watching forum I belong to has a few threads on this subject....seems it is not uncommon
Thank you both. Good to know.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
One thing which can contribute to this is the fact that you closed one eye while looking at something and then switched eyes. While that eye is closed, you are exposing it to a red field through your eyelid so when you switch to it, you see an opposite color cast due to the after image. I did this a long time ago and noticed the effect. Try blocking the closed eye externally so no light get to it through your closed eye lid (use an eye patch or something similar) and then try comparing color rendition. The eye which you closed first should show a slight blue (actually cyan) bias when compared to the eye which wasn't closed. The best way to compare eyes is with a dark card held in front of your face to cover one and then the other eye and keep both eyes open all the time. You can move it back and forth rapidly and judge to see if you really have a sight difference.
That's a good point, with more information than I already knew (thank you!). I have tried blocking each eye with a book rather than physically closing them, and each time I notice a very slightly redder tint with right eye compared to the left. In fact, I went outside about 90 minutes ago, and in the dying light I looked at the white UPVC guttering and downpipes on my home... using my hand to cover each eye repeatedly, every time the right eye gave a very slightly redder tint...

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I don't have that problem but I am very aware of eye issues because macular degeneration occurred on my mother's side (her father and brother). When I have my annual eye check they photograph the retina so there is a record they can compare year by year. No issues so far. I hope your issue is nothing to worry about either.
Glad to hear you're doing OK with that. And yes, my own medical team take photographic records of each eye during my annual tests, so they can compare year-on-year. They're using Olympus gear

---

EDIT: I guess I should have Googled this before posting, as I came across this very brief but interesting article:

My left and right eyes see slightly different colors. Is that normal? - Vox

EDIT #2: I failed to mention in my original post... Some years ago (15 - 20, I can't recall exactly) I suffered central serous retinopathy in my right eye (which recovered naturally), and some years later got a viral infection from a suspected insect bite in the same eye (my "lucky eye" as I now call it ) during a business trip to India. Probably irrelevant, but perhaps not.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-23-2020 at 03:13 PM.
07-23-2020, 03:21 PM - 3 Likes   #9
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You've probably already done this, Mike, but you would be familiar with the colour blindness check cards - the numbers in the field of coloured dots that colour-blind people can't see ( some can see some of the numbers, some can't see any, "normal" people can see them all). (Not saying you aren't normal. )

Have you tried one of those with alternate eyes covered? Could be interesting.
07-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
You've probably already done this, Mike, but you would be familiar with the colour blindness check cards - the numbers in the field of coloured dots that colour-blind people can't see ( some can see some of the numbers, some can't see any, "normal" people can see them all). (Not saying you aren't normal. )

Have you tried one of those with alternate eyes covered? Could be interesting.
I did one of those tests a while back, during a routine eye check with my optician. Strangely, though, I don't recall it being part of my big annual checkup - but I can't be sure of that (short term memory failing me - not a good sign! ).

I just did a few Ishihara tests online. My monitor is calibrated, so I'm hoping these are valid tests. Apparently, I don't have red / green colour blindness in either eye... though I will say, my right eye found a couple of the test patches a wee bit more difficult to discern than the left eye...
07-23-2020, 03:52 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As others have noted, an eye exam might reveal the cause. I had a cataract in one eye which gave a yellowish tint to scenes relative to the other eye. Then I had it fixed and the new lens gives that eye a much bluer WB than the other eye.

(Maybe I can get one eye set for Daylight and the other for Tungsten? )
07-23-2020, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If all else fails Mike, toss some red wine in the other eye and it should all balance out nicely!

On second thought, better to go with Jim's advice!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-23-2020 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo
07-23-2020, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

(short term memory failing me - not a good sign! ).
I refer you to my previous post.
07-23-2020, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I have not noticed any color shift, but, I can’t see well enough to tell....
07-23-2020, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
As others have noted, an eye exam might reveal the cause. I had a cataract in one eye which gave a yellowish tint to scenes relative to the other eye. Then I had it fixed and the new lens gives that eye a much bluer WB than the other eye.

(Maybe I can get one eye set for Daylight and the other for Tungsten? )
This was the first thing I thought of, that possibly you could have a cataract in one eye. Two years ago my eye doctor said I had the start of cataracts, but nothing to be concerned with, just keep watching them. In December last year it was not mentioned. I can remember my grandpa having cataract surgery in the late 1960s and spending nearly a week in a hospital, eye surgery has really come a long way since then.