Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2020, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Hi folks, I was hoping maybe a few of you may know where to easily access some references to landscape photography. This is an area I struggle in and would like to develop better skills. So, I'm hoping some of you may know a few good sites that offer instruction or simply inspire with photos. Both would be appreciated.
My Fujinon 50mm 1.4 seems to have issues with infinity, but I did what I could with it.
1) Though I hate Google like the plague, I'd have to say first thing, take a look at what's available on Youtube - use the "search tool" at the top of the screen and be fairly specific about what you're looking for, as there's so much there (as Dirty Harry said, "Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one, and most of them put their opinions up on Youtube"). Seriously, there really is a great deal of valuable instruction on any aspect of photography.

2) Back when I was an ice-skater, we had a saying, "If you ain't got snow on your pants, you're not learning anything." And a former father-in-law used to say, "Gotta keep movin'! When you stop movin', you're dead." I figure that keeping the software in the brain updated is as important as physical movement. Don't stop learning. Fortunately, there's no end to it, so we have something to entertain ourselves with for the rest of our lives. ("Ad hoc, ad loc, quid pro quo; so little time, so much to know!"; "Isn't life jolly, isn't life gay? Isn't life the perfect thing, to pass the time away?")

3) I've always had trouble with infinity, myself. But the real kicker is transdimensionality. When the lenses start having trouble staying focused within the time/space continuum, you know you've got problems.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 07-27-2020 at 07:53 AM.
07-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
1) Though I hate Google like the plague, I'd have to say first thing, take a look at what's available on Youtube - use the "search tool" at the top of the screen and be fairly specific about what you're looking for, as there's so much there (as Dirty Harry said, "Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one, and most of them put their opinions up on Youtube"). Seriously, there really is a great deal of valuable instruction on any aspect of photography.

2) Back when I was an ice-skater, we had a saying, "If you ain't got snow on your pants, you're not learning anything." And a former father-in-law used to say, "Gotta keep movin'! When you stop movin', you're dead." I figure that keeping the software in the brain updated is as important as physical movement. Don't stop learning. Fortunately, there's no end to it, so we have something to entertain ourselves with for the rest of our lives. ("Ad hoc, ad loc, quid pro quo; so little time, so much to know!"; "Isn't life jolly, isn't life gay? Isn't life the perfect thing, to pass the time away?")

3) I've always had trouble with infinity, myself. But the real kicker is transdimensionality. When the lenses start having trouble staying focused within the time/space continuum, you know you've got problems.

My old Fujinon EBC 50mm 1.4 is a decent lens but it has it's issues. It truly refuses to lock on for infinity focus, I have to man handle the barrel back and forth a few times before I get any kind of focus lock for landscapes. She's an old dog, so it's to be expected.

---------- Post added 07-27-20 at 03:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I don't believe there is such a thing as a "landscape lens".
Wide angle lenses for sweeping vistas. You truly can't capture that with a 50mm.
07-27-2020, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the youtube sites I enjoy for landscape photo instructions is Mark Denney's site:
Mark Denney - YouTube
07-28-2020, 12:26 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Wide angle lenses for sweeping vistas. You truly can't capture that with a 50mm.
Panoramas. Use a tripod with a head that swivels. No acres of boring sky or pointless gravel. @bertwert had a beauty posted recently.

In the Heart of the Canadian Rockies - PentaxForums.com

07-28-2020, 06:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Panoramas. Use a tripod with a head that swivels. No acres of boring sky or pointless gravel. @bertwert had a beauty posted recently.

In the Heart of the Canadian Rockies - PentaxForums.com
Yes, panoramas can be striking images, thanks for that suggestion it was an option I had overlooked.