Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2020, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Unregistered User
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Hi folks, I was hoping maybe a few of you may know where to easily access some references to landscape photography. This is an area I struggle in and would like to develop better skills. So, I'm hoping some of you may know a few good sites that offer instruction or simply inspire with photos. Both would be appreciated.
...
My Fujinon 50mm 1.4 seems to have issues with infinity, but I did what I could with it.
...
1) Though I hate Google like the plague, I'd have to say first thing, take a look at what's available on Youtube - use the "search tool" at the top of the screen and be fairly specific about what you're looking for, as there's so much there (as Dirty Harry said, "Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one, and most of them put their opinions up on Youtube"). Seriously, there really is a great deal of valuable instruction on any aspect of photography.

2) Back when I was an ice-skater, we had a saying, "If you ain't got snow on your pants, you're not learning anything." And a former father-in-law used to say, "Gotta keep movin'! When you stop movin', you're dead." I figure that keeping the software in the brain updated is as important as physical movement. Don't stop learning. Fortunately, there's no end to it, so we have something to entertain ourselves with for the rest of our lives. ("Ad hoc, ad loc, quid pro quo; so little time, so much to know!"; "Isn't life jolly, isn't life gay? Isn't life the perfect thing, to pass the time away?")

3) I've always had trouble with infinity, myself. But the real kicker is transdimensionality. When the lenses start having trouble staying focused within the time/space continuum, you know you've got problems.


Last edited by Unregistered User; 07-27-2020 at 07:53 AM.
07-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #17
Pentaxian
kevinWE's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 497
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
1) Though I hate Google like the plague, I'd have to say first thing, take a look at what's available on Youtube - use the "search tool" at the top of the screen and be fairly specific about what you're looking for, as there's so much there (as Dirty Harry said, "Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one, and most of them put their opinions up on Youtube"). Seriously, there really is a great deal of valuable instruction on any aspect of photography.

2) Back when I was an ice-skater, we had a saying, "If you ain't got snow on your pants, you're not learning anything." And a former father-in-law used to say, "Gotta keep movin'! When you stop movin', you're dead." I figure that keeping the software in the brain updated is as important as physical movement. Don't stop learning. Fortunately, there's no end to it, so we have something to entertain ourselves with for the rest of our lives. ("Ad hoc, ad loc, quid pro quo; so little time, so much to know!"; "Isn't life jolly, isn't life gay? Isn't life the perfect thing, to pass the time away?")

3) I've always had trouble with infinity, myself. But the real kicker is transdimensionality. When the lenses start having trouble staying focused within the time/space continuum, you know you've got problems.

My old Fujinon EBC 50mm 1.4 is a decent lens but it has it's issues. It truly refuses to lock on for infinity focus, I have to man handle the barrel back and forth a few times before I get any kind of focus lock for landscapes. She's an old dog, so it's to be expected.

---------- Post added 07-27-20 at 03:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I don't believe there is such a thing as a "landscape lens".
Wide angle lenses for sweeping vistas. You truly can't capture that with a 50mm.
07-27-2020, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Wingincamera's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanaway, WA. USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,032
One of the youtube sites I enjoy for landscape photo instructions is Mark Denney's site:
Mark Denney - YouTube
07-28-2020, 12:26 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,385
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Wide angle lenses for sweeping vistas. You truly can't capture that with a 50mm.
Panoramas. Use a tripod with a head that swivels. No acres of boring sky or pointless gravel. @bertwert had a beauty posted recently.

In the Heart of the Canadian Rockies - PentaxForums.com

07-28-2020, 06:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian
kevinWE's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 497
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Panoramas. Use a tripod with a head that swivels. No acres of boring sky or pointless gravel. @bertwert had a beauty posted recently.

In the Heart of the Canadian Rockies - PentaxForums.com
Yes, panoramas can be striking images, thanks for that suggestion it was an option I had overlooked.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, book, focus, infinity, keeper, landscape, landscape photography, landscapes, lenses, life, love, photo, photography, photos, references, references to landscape, struggle, time, trouble, type
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lens Information/Data References interested_observer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 11-15-2014 09:19 PM
Forthcoming book references unannounced 'Apple Aperture X' boriscleto Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 12-27-2012 02:53 PM
Advice/good references for color casting? KierraElizabeth Photographic Technique 10 07-13-2011 07:57 PM
First DSLR - What References to get? 5shot Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 02-23-2009 04:15 PM
references/books,journals houstonmacgregor Photographic Technique 5 08-08-2008 02:21 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top