Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2020, 01:24 AM   #31
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I will admit to being a little paranoid about running out of battery, so having a standardized process to charge the batteries is just normal for me.

However, I took the trips to NZ in 2003 and 2006. My ongoing work is to update the keywords in my Capture One catalogues. Keywording 6,000+ images (Europe 2017) can bet to be a little "interesting"/frustratin. One thing I did discover is that on my 2017 trip (two months) I took almost 800 pictures of doors. Sort of a OCD thing for me.
Man.. you may carry out your gear in good shape but buying from you a used camera shouldn't be a good idea

I have somewhere 4000+ images since 2015 as I remember. Keywording pictures is fun! But yes, someone may think it's a simple task after hard work but organizing images is another field in which you must to be talanted a little bit as well.

Can you post a link to your work? I'm curious about 800 doors

---------- Post added 08-02-20 at 01:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
Well, I’m not sure if it’s of your taste but I like Art, I think every photo- enthusiast does, that’s why we keep chasing the right composition, color, abstraction etc. So when I feel a little bit off, I will sometimes get an art book. Paintings, especially when it comes to masters, are a good way of studying composition and color. And of course you can get some inspiration. And there is something interesting to everybody’s taste. It’s a world that is not reality-oriented but greatly supported by rules and thematically it’s widespread. This application of aesthetics in an imaginary world is the perfect example of artistic freedom. It creates a spark.

But of course a new lens is always a good idea.
My niece is an artist, she is really good at paintings and has done amazing work. Looking at her work I feel complete perfection but I can't say it inspires me in photography as I strongly differentiate them. Little bit off topic but....

Last edited by Lev; 08-03-2020 at 01:13 AM.
08-02-2020, 03:25 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Forum Member

To bring my experience on the topic, my practice is split between 2 streams.

On the one hand, I'll be documenting our life, at home. Capturing images for a photo diary, to share with friends and family, record life as it is, without any other agenda really. Inspiration comes very naturally because of the nature of the images: snippets of life, moments with friends, good food, celebrating every moment.

On the other hand, I'm working on series for my abstract practice. When it comes to this side of my work, it's slightly more 'complex'. I read a bit, listen to music a lot.Many different styles, from hip hop to traditional gamelan ensemble. I binge watch series and movies, cook every day, do some gardening... I take long walks with a friend, analogue photography aficionado and architecte. We talk about architecture, art, literature, and all kinds of other topics. I have the chance to be surrounded with creative people. I work with dancers, choreographers, my wife is a producer.

All that puts me in a very interesting place when it comes to being inspired. It comes from what I hear, what I listen, what I draw, what I see or watch. It comes from being able to pause and stare, or gaze. It comes from business or emptiness. I think, it comes mainly from being a meditative practice..

And gear has its part as well.

Each camera I own invites me to capture things and life differently, and focus on different details of it. It isn't the object itself, but more the aspect ratio of the film. I work from 1/2 frame up to 4x5 (which I sold), and having so many options helps putting myself onto new trains of thoughts and creative processes.

Hope it helps you a bit!

Cheers, J.
08-02-2020, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #33
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since photography has always been a big part of my life; everything I look at; subconsciously, I'm "framing" it into a shot. So I'm always "shooting" objects, scenes, etc. The inspiration has never left, for me.
08-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As mentioned before, join one of the "dailies". I am not going to win any contests with my shots but I have fun.

08-02-2020, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #35
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Man.. you may carry out your gear in good shape but buying from you a used camera shouldn't be a good idea

I have somewhere 4000+ images since 2015 as I remember. Keywording pictures is fan! But yes, someone may think it's a simple task after hard work but organizing images is another field in which you must to be talanted a little bit as well.

Can you post a link to your work? I'm curious about 800 doors

---------- Post added 08-02-20 at 01:54 AM ----------

My niece is an artist, she is really good at paintings and has done amazing work. Looking at her work I feel complete perfection but I can't say it inspires me in photography as I strongly differentiate them. Little bit off topic but....

I have no links to provide as I shoot primarily for myself. I have written agreements with the non-profits such that I would not put images I take for them into the public, that is for them to do, it's not about me it's about promoting the efforts of the non-profits.

I have no Twitter, Facebook/Instagram or other social media accounts and I will stay away from them. I did have a gallery on National Geographic, but they changed to Instagram, I am still debating on whether to cancel my subscription over their actions of late. I have a PPG account, but with the hassle I got into with the PPG forum moderator on this site - I will not give out my PPG gallery anymore - at least not here. The images I have here should have been deleted long ago, but I can't do that very easily. As for keywording, I started out as an Archaeologist i.e. digging holes - slowly - and recording everything you can think of. My main career was creating and maintaining databases and computer systems - again documentation is everything. Keywording is a harmless way for me to keep my data OCD fed.

I could get a website from one of the photograph hosting services, but that requires what I would consider to be work. I am retired and I will not go back to work.

I just checked and I have 54K+ digital images taken since 2005 with Pentax Cameras. I have a few hundred rolls of film negatives and a few thousand slides from the old days. I do know what will happen to my images when I jump off this plane of existence. They will be destroyed - and I am OK with that.
08-03-2020, 02:27 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
buy a new lens
Good idea but the effect doesn't last long. A few days at most and then it's back to the doldrums. Ask me how I know that.
08-03-2020, 06:44 AM   #37
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
A few days at most and then it's back to the doldrums.
you have to supplement the new lenses with new bodies to acquire the full effect

08-03-2020, 10:43 AM - 4 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

I used to liven up my commute by taking pictures. Usually with a Samsung NX100, K mount adapter. Lenses would depend on the mood or whatever I had that was new(est) to me on the day - see above for the reasons. The two stalwart that saw the most use was the SMC Pentax M 28mm f/2.8 and the SMC Pentax M 20mm f/4. When I look at the crazy prices that the latter fetches these days, I wonder how good an idea that was. Here is one of my last keepers:

And then lockdown happened and I started working from home. I am still doing that. While I love not having to do the commute, I miss the photography part. I have done some snapping in and around the house but it got old. I am now struggling to get back into the groove. Here is some mad bokeh from my Takumar 35mm f/2.3:

To cheer me up, I got myself an SMC Pentax AF Adapter 1.7x. There are some shots taken using it with various lenses that I should get round to editing, but the muse seems to have left me.
08-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #39
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Good idea but the effect doesn't last long. A few days at most and then it's back to the doldrums. Ask me how I know that.

100% true
08-13-2020, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #40
Forum Member

When ever I'm lacking in inspiration with photography, I just pick my guitar and the inspiration is there.
As I don't have any personal style or direction yet, all I try is to keep the Inspiration alive, no matter what is the medium.