Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2020, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

How do you turn on your insiperation?

Well, I think I'm not the only one who faces situation when there is no interesting subjects around to shoot but feel lazy to move to somewhere else to find one. Seems like you've got enough, you see trees, cars, people, grass etc... but at the same time it feels trivial...

So, what is your technique to turn nothing to something?

08-01-2020, 01:13 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where to start!

On the occasions I've been asked this question when I've been tutoring my answer(s) is simple enough to start with, but then gets messy. One approach is to think how an artist might approach subjects. They would typically carry a personalised sketch book that they'd capture subjects of interest. Crucially, these sketches are not for viewing by others and they are ideas and experiments. They often fail, but they do set in motion thoughts. Using a camera like this is an excellent start.

Another response is not to look at other's work! Maybe older classic photographs, but not the constant feed on Instagram or high profile photo competition images, as these sources distract from your own view of the world, plus they are normally not attainable locally.

Then to start thinking about capturing images differently. Forget technique and gear and just concentrate on composition. Forget artificial rubbish like rule of thirds, which is a contrived and lazy composition rule. Start to compose with patterns, textures, repetition, contrasts (think contrasts mote literally, like rough/smooth, fat/thin, many/few and not just light/dark) etc., etc.

That's a start. Bet other's will rattle off a completely different approach ...
08-01-2020, 01:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

In this case, the presence of my friend, who is also a photography lover, creates a kind of competition between us.
08-01-2020, 01:39 AM   #4
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Another response is not to look at other's work! Maybe older classic photographs, but not the constant feed on Instagram or high profile photo competition images, as these sources distract from your own view of the world, plus they are normally not attainable locally.
This is a very good example and argument against false vision when you see something, it interests you but afraid that others may not like it. Having said that, sometimes it is very hard to know if your viewer will catch your thoughts.

08-01-2020, 02:17 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look for details in the overall scene. The closer you look the more there is.
08-01-2020, 02:34 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Join one of the daily photo groups here. Get into the habit of looking for photo opportunities. I've spent almost two months taking photos mostly in one street between where I live and the local shops.

Daily Challenge (By Month) - PentaxForums.com
08-01-2020, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Unregistered User

I'm reminded of a line from a movie, "Total Recall", where Randy Quaid's "Cuato" character says to Schwarzenegger's, "Open your mind, Quade."

Stop the internal dialog (i.e., talking to yourself) and allow your awareness to expand. Be aware of the beauty of the integrated universe. Awareness is the key.

While I don't promote the Episcopalian agenda, there's a quote from the Book of Common Prayer that I like: "Open, we beseech thee, O Lord, our eyes to behold thy gracious hand in all thy works, that rejoicing in thy whole creation..."; or as the Navajo say in their morning prayer, "I walk in Beauty". Or in Buddhism, "Be here now."

Be aware -- the Beauty is all around all the time. There's more to photograph in every scene than you can possibly photograph. And with the right mental attitude, which I call, "peace", you can be aware of it. Open your mind.

08-01-2020, 04:04 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I'm reminded of a line from a movie, "Total Recall", where Randy Quaid's "Cuato" character says to Schwarzenegger's, "Open your mind, Quade."

Stop the internal dialog (i.e., talking to yourself) and allow your awareness to expand. Be aware of the beauty of the integrated universe. Awareness is the key.

While I don't promote the Episcopalian agenda, there's a quote from the Book of Common Prayer that I like: "Open, we beseech thee, O Lord, our eyes to behold thy gracious hand in all thy works, that rejoicing in thy whole creation..."; or as the Navajo say in their morning prayer, "I walk in Beauty". Or in Buddhism, "Be here now."

Be aware -- the Beauty is all around all the time. There's more to photograph in every scene than you can possibly photograph. And with the right mental attitude, which I call, "peace", you can be aware of it. Open your mind.

I more like the scene when he is hiding himself in a womans face and then it goes out of order and explodes Look like me when I'm stuck...
08-01-2020, 05:47 AM - 4 Likes   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
This is a very good example and argument against false vision when you see something, it interests you but afraid that others may not like it. Having said that, sometimes it is very hard to know if your viewer will catch your thoughts.
this is where I differ from you - I don't shoot for anyone else, but me....

I try to shoot things that interest me, and I work to make the shots my own.... but I don't expect anyone else to like them, comment on them, or anything else...

my photography is my therapy....
08-01-2020, 06:04 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Join one of the daily photo groups here.
Yes! Joining a group gives me an incentive to capture something "trees, cars, people, grass etc." but in a new way, climb a ladder, lay on the ground, use a long exposure, pan on the moving object and blur the rest, etc. The Daily In and Single In groups are friendly, offer some feedback and encouragement, and often seeing someone else's photo gives me an inspiration.

Also, we have members from around the world, and though almost all of them have "trees, cars, people, grass etc.", many of them capture those subjects, and other subjects, in a way that makes them unique to their time and their location.

Finally, I look at images from photographers and painters, all of whom are better than I am , for inspiration, because they give me a goal to work towards.
08-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #11
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Yes! Joining a group gives me an incentive to capture something "trees, cars, people, grass etc." but in a new way, climb a ladder, lay on the ground, use a long exposure, pan on the moving object and blur the rest, etc. The Daily In and Single In groups are friendly, offer some feedback and encouragement, and often seeing someone else's photo gives me an inspiration.

Also, we have members from around the world, and though almost all of them have "trees, cars, people, grass etc.", many of them capture those subjects, and other subjects, in a way that makes them unique to their time and their location.

Finally, I look at images from photographers and painters, all of whom are better than I am , for inspiration, because they give me a goal to work towards.
This is opposite to BarryE's reply but somehow both are true.

Maybe it's time to look at things with different perspective...
08-01-2020, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I've just always stopped to examine the details wherever I am. Camera or no camera, so looking for inspiration is often just go for a walk with camera. Need more inspiration? I go someplace different with my camera. Exercises like Freeman Patterson's, where you shoot a roll of film in a 10x10 meters section of somewhere come to mind, but for me were unnecessary. If you believe in being out and about and "being" where you are, the photography is secondary. How many pictures I take is almost function of how much I'm enjoying myself.
08-01-2020, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I find that with a normal-ish focal length macro lens you can find a photo to take wherever you are.

Alternatively, with a lens that's fast enough and sharp enough wide open, I can just get some satisfying but ultimately unremarkable shallow depth of field shots.

I need to get one of those 50mm f/1.7 macro lenses that Pepperberry Farm has so that I can combine both options.
08-01-2020, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
buy a new lens
08-01-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
buy a new lens
or a new camera