Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2020, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Well, I think I'm not the only one who faces situation when there is no interesting subjects around to shoot but feel lazy to move to somewhere else to find one. Seems like you've got enough, you see trees, cars, people, grass etc... but at the same time it feels trivial...

So, what is your technique to turn nothing to something?
1. go out (whether in your garden or further afield) with the objective of capturing a specific theme rather than an object. So look for lines; patterns; shadows; colours etc and make your picture demonstrate them.

2. look for the monthly competition subjects and go out to specifically create an image for that.

3. Use props. I bought a second hand ornate mirror for a few pounds and draped a waistcoat over it for this picture..........

08-01-2020, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I look at pictures online (mostly in this forum), look at the equipment they used and if possible try to do something similar when I see something I really like. Other times I just go out and force myself to do something different.
08-01-2020, 08:44 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... and another thought that is often forgotten, the background. No not bokeh. Nor the tree-out-of-the-head senario, but using the background to creatively support the subject. In many ways the background can be as important as the subject. It's there to support. To complement. To balance etc.

Also, you could think narrative. Imagine a rectangular frame of just a crop of ripe barley and a blue sky, with a narrow path traversing the field. Potentially, boring until a distant figure joins the path. If the figure is captured walking out of the frame the eye is lead out of the image. However, if the figure is walking into the frame, the eye is drawn along the path. Maybe there's something at the end of the path? A house? Car? Horse? Mundane, yes, but a narrative is being created. The viewer becomes engaged and potentially asks questions.

Composition, again and again for me to create something from nothing. Iconic mountains and glorious sunsets are cliches - gorgeous, yes, but they aree often just a technical challenge rather than a creative one.
08-01-2020, 08:47 AM - 4 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I usually just find something and see what happens with what gear I have with me.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-01-2020, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will just go out on walks or play around indoors, usually without a camera, and just observe and study how the light is being reflected off various surfaces, textures, atmosphere, etc. This will normally inspire certain visions or ideas of photos I want to create. After all photography is really nothing more than capturing reflected light.
08-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a photography class at a local community college. You are then forced to go out and take pictures...
08-01-2020, 10:39 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
or a new camera
or both yeah

---------- Post added 08-01-20 at 11:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I will just go out on walks or play around indoors, usually without a camera, and just observe and study how the light is being reflected off various surfaces, textures, atmosphere, etc. This will normally inspire certain visions or ideas of photos I want to create. After all photography is really nothing more than capturing reflected light.
Something like this

Last edited by Lev; 08-01-2020 at 11:37 AM.
08-01-2020, 11:52 AM - 4 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't need to buy a new camera or a new lens, I am sure your camera, if it's a Pentax DSLR, has features you aren't even aware of, and you have never used.
I know that is true in my case. I'll give you and example, using my K-5's multiple exposure mode

Technically, there are many things wrong with this picture, but the point was not to make a perfect picture, it was to try something new with the gear I already own, in my backyard. Everything was done in-camera, too.
Inspiration, at no additional cost. As soon as the rain stops, I hope to try this idea again, and achieve a better result. That is another source of inspiration. Look through your old images, from the time you first started photography. Think of how you might recreate that image today since you have more experience.
08-01-2020, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
You don't need to buy a new camera or a new lens, I am sure your camera, if it's a Pentax DSLR, has features you aren't even aware of, and you have never used.
I know that is true in my case. I'll give you and example, using my K-5's multiple exposure mode

Technically, there are many things wrong with this picture, but the point was not to make a perfect picture, it was to try something new with the gear I already own, in my backyard. Everything was done in-camera, too.
Inspiration, at no additional cost. As soon as the rain stops, I hope to try this idea again, and achieve a better result. That is another source of inspiration. Look through your old images, from the time you first started photography. Think of how you might recreate that image today since you have more experience.
Thanks... no need to involve any gear here, my question was about the photographer's view.

My picture posted here is also technically not perfect, I just took it with phone by the way.

The point is to SEE when you think there is nothing to shoot.
08-01-2020, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The point is to SEE when you think there is nothing to shoot.
Brilliant!

Lot's of good stuff in this thread.
08-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #26
PDL
Pentaxian

At the moment I am in the doldrums about taking images. I have not taken the camera out to shoot pictures since January. All of the non-profits I normally shoot for are shut down and it is doubtful they will starting up again for the foreseeable future.

I have spent the last week or so keywording my 2017 vacation to Europe. I will start on the 2018 vacation soon and then the 2019 Yellowstone trip. My trips to New Zealand and my out and about stuff will wait.

But, as for taking more images - not happening. However, I am in the process of charging up the batteries and swaping them through the rotation, something I do on a monthly basis.
08-01-2020, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

How do you turn on your insiperation?
I have no trouble with this; I am naturally insipid anyway.
08-01-2020, 11:35 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
At the moment I am in the doldrums about taking images. I have not taken the camera out to shoot pictures since January. All of the non-profits I normally shoot for are shut down and it is doubtful they will starting up again for the foreseeable future.

I have spent the last week or so keywording my 2017 vacation to Europe. I will start on the 2018 vacation soon and then the 2019 Yellowstone trip. My trips to New Zealand and my out and about stuff will wait.

But, as for taking more images - not happening. However, I am in the process of charging up the batteries and swaping them through the rotation, something I do on a monthly basis.
I see planning is one of your strong skills. Going out with discharged batteries is my favourite strategy

Good luck in NZ!!
08-02-2020, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I’m not sure if it’s of your taste but I like Art, I think every photo- enthusiast does, that’s why we keep chasing the right composition, color, abstraction etc. So when I feel a little bit off, I will sometimes get an art book. Paintings, especially when it comes to masters, are a good way of studying composition and color. And of course you can get some inspiration. And there is something interesting to everybody’s taste. It’s a world that is not reality-oriented but greatly supported by rules and thematically it’s widespread. This application of aesthetics in an imaginary world is the perfect example of artistic freedom. It creates a spark.

But of course a new lens is always a good idea.
08-02-2020, 12:20 AM   #30
PDL
Pentaxian

I see planning is one of your strong skills. Going out with discharged batteries is my favourite strategy

Good luck in NZ!!
I will admit to being a little paranoid about running out of battery, so having a standardized process to charge the batteries is just normal for me.

However, I took the trips to NZ in 2003 and 2006. My ongoing work is to update the keywords in my Capture One catalogues. Keywording 6,000+ images (Europe 2017) can bet to be a little "interesting"/frustratin. One thing I did discover is that on my 2017 trip (two months) I took almost 800 pictures of doors. Sort of a OCD thing for me.