Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2020, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I couldn't believe that I couldn't find anyone to buy www.unpluggedmovies.com
OK, I'll bite: What does/did that website provide? The domain name genuinely tells me nothing; I honestly have no idea what an 'unplugged movie'
might be. Unplugged music ≈ acoustic music. Unplugged movies ≈ (absolutely no clue).

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't think the OP was intending to buy the domain, but was instead concerned that the registration has expired, since it's a really valuable resource for many of us, and more of an enthusiast site rather than a commercial enterprise (although the owner does, if I remember correctly, sell on some of his collection from time-to-time)...
DING!

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Working as 15 seconds ago. Just took time for the renewal to filter out through the net.
Hurrah!

08-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #17
Loyal Site Enjoyer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Working as 15 seconds ago. Just took time for the renewal to filter out through the net.

. . .

08-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
A couple months ago, Attila, the site administrator, mentioned he was looking for ways to enhance site revenue.

First they plead for money, next the site goes down for a while. Sounds to me like they're in a bit of trouble.

I just checked and found that the site is not monetized in any way, nor does it even ask for donations. I wonder how much longer they'll be able to hang on?

If this website is important to some of you and you regularly visit it and would really hate to loose access to it, please share with us what you've done to respond to the administrators cry for financial assistance.

08-18-2020, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First they plead for money, next the site goes down for a while. Sounds to me like they're in a bit of trouble.

I just checked and found that the site is not monetized in any way, nor does it even ask for donations. I wonder how much longer they'll be able to hang on?

If this website is important to some of you and you regularly visit it and would really hate to loose access to it, please share with us what you've done to respond to the administrators cry for financial assistance.

I used the site regularly for a year - posting, asking questions, benefitting from advice etc. - and donated in appreciation of that... roughly the same amount that - as a regular user - I donate every year to PentaxForums (you'd hope any regular user of any site would consider donating to its upkeep if they can afford to do so - right?). I don't often visit mflenses these days, but still drop by occasionally, and I consider it to be a valuable resource. If the site owner encouraged a small contribution to assist with running costs, I'd consider donating again, even though I'm not a regular user...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-19-2020 at 12:35 AM.
08-18-2020, 04:24 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Enjoyer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

. . .

Yes, I do wonder about the future of their site. During the few years I've been visiting there, I've seen merely a handful of advertisements.

And earlier in this thread, when I mentioned the mflenses' administrator wrote of trying to increase revenue, he was merely giving a heads up to members about his intent to experiment with Google Ads. The experiment didn't last long and I now see no ads there at all.

But they do have a Donation button. Although the administrators are mellow about it. They don't beg or browbeat people about money. They're photography fans first and foremost.

I'm a "Supporting Member" there because I donated $25. And for all the enjoyment I get, I consider that a bargain!
08-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad they are back up and I do recognize it after all, it's just been a while and didn't remember the site name.
08-18-2020, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure I understand the problem(s).

If you are trying to monetize a site/make a living from it, then yes, you need to figure out how to make an income stream.

On the other hand, the cost of a domain name and web space is pretty darn cheap. I have several domain names and lots of space on 1and1, and the whole works costs me on the order of $200 - $300 a year. If you are willing to pay that, and spend a bit of time (a few hours per week?), it doesn't really cost much in time and effort to keep a site alive.

If a few folks can kick in $25 a year, that should support the domain and web hosting fees.
08-18-2020, 11:26 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Its the way of the web, back a while it was full of interesting sites these days its pretty much just a store front for major players.

Its like the high street, once every town was different, owner operated shops, interesting small shops etc, today almost every town you go to oooks the same from a shopping experience, same shops selling the same product and the supposed ‘choice’ has just become a choice between near identical product.

Sad really.

08-19-2020, 12:00 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure I've seen mflenses.com before, but it seems pretty good. I have been looking for a site which would offer in-depth info about Pentax 67 and 645 systems, not entirely sure if this is it, but it seems to have a lot of information.

But when I look at the Lens database there, it prompts me to log in, and when I try the links in teh far column, they don't seem to work -- in cluding the ones that redirect to mflenses.com.
08-19-2020, 06:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I'm not sure I've seen mflenses.com before, but it seems pretty good. I have been looking for a site which would offer in-depth info about Pentax 67 and 645 systems, not entirely sure if this is it, but it seems to have a lot of information.

But when I look at the Lens database there, it prompts me to log in, and when I try the links in teh far column, they don't seem to work -- in cluding the ones that redirect to mflenses.com.
Manual Focus Lenses M42 Exakta Carl Zeiss Jena lenses and film cameras

---------- Post added 08-19-20 at 06:36 AM ----------

Direct link to forum

Manual Focus Lenses M42 Exakta Carl Zeiss Jena lenses and film cameras
08-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #26
Loyal Site Enjoyer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
. . .

It's truly a legacy site. It doesn't appear that it's being actively developed. And it definitely has some quirks. I spend most of my time in the Forum so I'm not as familiar with other areas of the site.

On their home page, when I click on Lens Database, I also get a prompt to log in. I just click Cancel and I'm taken to the database. Same thing when I try to move from page 1 to page 2.

Their database is much simpler (and smaller!) than the one here on Pentax Forums. It appears to have specifications, but no embedded user reviews. Here's a screenshot:
Attached Images

08-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

However there is detailed information in the forum for more lenses than are in the one here on PF.
08-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #28
Loyal Site Enjoyer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
However there is detailed information in the forum for more lenses than are in the one here on PF.

Yes! Their forum must be one of the world's greatest libraries for lens info.