Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2020, 02:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The forum in question is mostly about computers and games, but there is a fairly lively photography section. Mostly gear for sale, though. Maybe I came on strong for a newbie, but I did try to answer the question.

08-26-2020, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Great post from the OP.

I'll add something I've mentioned before... and it's a real bone of contention for me with many sellers: Folks really would benefit from taking time to prepare equipment appropriately before photographing it for sale. This means cleaning it properly - wiping all flat surfaces to get rid of smears and other marks, using cotton buds and cocktail sticks (or whatever) to get the grime and dust out of nooks, crannies and textured surfaces. A dirty or dusty item is off-putting to many potential buyers - it looks awful, doesn't suggest the item has been well cared for (even though it may have been) and - frankly - it's unhygienic. Yuck!

Most folks would wash an automobile and use a vacuum cleaner and dusters on the interior before trying to sell it, knowing it would look more attractive and potentially fetch a better price... yet lots of sellers appear to advertise photographic equipment without the same basic preparations. It takes just a few minutes to clean something thoroughly and show some pride in the item(s) being offered for sale, and it demonstrates some consideration toward the potential buyer.

As a general rule, I won't buy dirty gear unless it's either (a) cheap, or (b) rare and not easily available in better condition. I'm sure I'm not alone in this...
Ahhhh I would prefer they leave it alone, partly because it reveals much about the seller and how well cared for the gear has been. I have lost count of the ads that say it was me dear old dads/grandads/maiden aunts and they always looked after it with a pic of some gear that looks like their relative may have lived in a pig sty cos its stinking filthy. Partly I would prefer the clueless to devalue their gear by showing dirty pics (keeps prices down for sharpies like me ) but also because the clueless shouldnt be cleaning stuff they mostly know zip about.
I dont want a camera thats sparkly clean in pics because a muppet has washed it down with Vim or where the focus screen is wrecked cos they used a washing up sponge on it. Lest you think that unlikely my other hobby is astronomy and I have seen a fair few scopes trashed by the gormless including a beautiful old scope wrecked when the idiot relative cleaned the mirror with a brillo pad (yes really and they were proud of the effort they had made too ) aaaarrghh devalued it from to nada it certainly cleaned it alright no more nasty marks and no more mirror either.

So for all those reasons, but mostly the last one I prefer it left alone but Id also like people to be honest and say they havent a clue and price accordingly not just assume that every old bit of kit is a priceless collectable or assume because theres a mint fully serviced item fetching that their banger cam in uncertain condition is similarly valuable.
08-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You're an established and respected member here, and I enjoyed your original post. I wonder, though, how I'd have felt about it if it were from a brand new member... It takes a while to become a known and respected quantity in a community, and what you intended as well-meant advice to a seasoned member may have come across a little strong from a forum newbie?
Ya think?

Steve