Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax cameras are great! Its official :)

Fujifilm is Now More Valuable Than Canon, Right Before Holiday Season

Quite interesting. I do like Fuji cameras. I'm not jumping ship but I do like all the dials and stuff

08-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
When it comes to Medium Format, Fujifilm is pretty much out there on its own with the low price points.
The guy makes a sweeping statement there but he is not far from wrong. Sadly, the entry level medium format market used to belong to the Pentax 645D and 645Z.
08-29-2020, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The guy makes a sweeping statement there but he is not far from wrong. Sadly, the entry level medium format market used to belong to the Pentax 645D and 645Z.
Relinquished without firing a shot.
08-29-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Relinquished without firing a shot.
So far. We have no idea what the future may bring. Advances in APSC and Full Frame often make it to the MF world and vice versa.
Fuji vs Pentax with the same photographer, and the same style of image? I can see the Pentax just looks cleaner than similar. This is on his IG and Flickr pages so it isn't a Farcebook compression issue.

08-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I don't own a medium format system, yesterday I was quite surprised when I just worked out that I have nearly had my K-1 for 4 years and still not craving for a replacement. Normally after a couple of seasons I'm lusting after the latest and greatest camera. Maybe that will change with whatever replaces the K-1 II (it was a very minor step up from the K-1 after all and not worth the upgrade for me), but maybe not as I'm actually still really happy with the K-1 and its a delight to use.
Will be interesting to see what Pentax will do (if anything) with MF. The 645Z model is now 6 years old, so now is the time that they need to step up with something new if the intend to (FWIW the gap between the 645D and 645Z was 4 years). Certainly if they are doing anything they are not saying anything and their 645 lens road map still lists a couple of lenses coming "2017 or later" - which obviously have not eventuated (and probably won't unless they release and updated body as well).
08-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
heir 645 lens road map still lists a couple of lenses coming "2017 or later" - which obviously have not eventuated
Folks are saying that the new DFA* 85 and 50 fill MF! So they have the basis for some amazing new MF lenses already. I have to disagree with the K-1 vs MkII comment. I had a Mk II for a few weeks and found it noticeably better in speed focusing. I was sorry to sell it along but legal fees need to be paid.
08-29-2020, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

All of a sudden a light bulb went on. I can't think of many companies other than Pentax and Leica who does APS-C, full frame and medium format. That must be worth something. Why doesn't Ricoh use it in their marketing?

08-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Camera body prices are one thing...now try adding in a few Fuji MF lenses and the price difference becomes???
08-30-2020, 03:01 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That was one weird article. I don't know what stock price has to do with anything. Fujifilm's stock price has very little to do with imaging and everything to do with their medical side of things.

As for medium format, it can't be a big seller, even if their cameras are on the cheap side. The lenses are still really expensive and the cameras themselves are not all around performers that many APS-C and full frame cameras are. Try using a GFX 50 to shoot any telephoto image or sporting event, for instance.

As for Pentax, I am totally unclear on what they are going to do with medium format. I think they are trying to make up their minds. They will either go full frame or they will add SR to the 645 sensor and enable things like pixel shift and astro tracer. I am unclear as to which direction they will go. Still, with them having older lenses available, the price for a used 645z and some FA medium format lenses is closer to reasonable than the Fuji medium format lenses with either of their cameras.