Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2020, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have these shims in my Feisol. I think they are infuriating. Mine aren't busted yet, but the center column shims came out once when I was doing something with the column (I forget what...). Figuring out how they went back was a PITYKW.

09-09-2020, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 4 year old carbon fiber Sirui, which has the "inferior" flip locks, has been used quite a bit, and works fine. I don't think this should have happened to you.
09-09-2020, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bottom line is that you and others have learned something. If I were you, I would settle this as best you can, and then don't buy their product again. I too can attest to the quality of Manfrotto - I didn't pay that much for mine and have been more than satisfied with its performance.
09-10-2020, 02:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't think "consumable parts" is a correct term.

The shim assembly shown in your photo is identical to that fitted to a number of Manfrotto 190-series CF tripods.

The shims, regrettably made of plastic rather than more robust material like stainless steel, are readily replaceable in the event of breakage caused by slippage or loosening of the leg clasps that will permit the shims to slip around and eventually break. In this case I suspect a small amount of loosening of the leg locks (clasps) has allowed the legs to over-extend and cause the shims to fracture; when you went to use the tripod, the shim broke: this is exactly what happened with my Manfrotto tripod in 2015. As security for being able to continue working on-loc, I carry 2 sets of spare shims in my kit for in-field repairs, plus a hex key.

Bits and pieces of tripods will over time necessarily require replacements: e.g. steel screws are a much hated feature on Manfrotto tripods, readily replaced with marine-grade stainless steel hex screws and nylon-cored nuts. Twist leg locks can seize while flip-locks require inspection before important work to ensure they are clamping extended legs without evidence of slow-slip.

I am surprised your warranty communication with Novo didn't turn out satisfactory. Was this done through the dealer where the tripod was purchased, or directly with Novo?

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2020 at 08:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Bottom line is that you and others have learned something. If I were you, I would settle this as best you can, and then don't buy their product again. I too can attest to the quality of Manfrotto - I didn't pay that much for mine and have been more than satisfied with its performance.
It will always be true that improvements can be found and be made to most of the Manfrotto tripods. Having said that, I've used them for almost 40 years now, just 3 over that time.

09-10-2020, 04:46 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
I am surprised your warranty communication with Novo didn't turn out satisfactory. Was this done through the dealer where the tripod was purchased, or directly with Novo?
This was done through the dealer, and that may be the problem. It appears that this is not isolated to this make and from my experience with my Manfrotto aluminium tripod (an entirely different design) I just hadn't considered there would be any issue to research.

When I find some time I'll check out the shims from other manufacturers, it may be they are interchangeable and perhaps cheaper and better quality.

Some spares will be nice to have, and it appears to be only the top ones that are broken. C.A.M's point about shock on extending may well be the cause in my case.
09-10-2020, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 is probably 5+ years old, no issues, as good as the day I bought it. My Sirui R-3213X is a couple years old and no issues.
I'd buy the Manfrotto again, not so sure about the Sirui as the twist locks for the legs are stupid - you can't tell when they are locked, and I had $8000 of camera hardware start tilting over because one of the collars wasnt tight enough.
Both have had heavy use with Medium format and big heavy stuff on them.
Keeping the sand and dirt out of them is important, so I usually given them a wipe during retraction of the legs if at a beach or dusty/dirty outdoor area.
I figure spending 10% of the value of the camera on the tripod is a minimum investment.
09-10-2020, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
About 9 months ago, I bought a Novo T10 Professional tripod kit, with ball head:

https://www.novo-photo.com/novo-explora-t10-carbon-fibre-tripod.html

After light use and prolonged idleness due to the corona virus, I discovered yesterday that one leg would not retract properly. On inspection, two of the legs have broken shims in the upper sections of the leg:
https://www.novo-photo.com/novo-leg-shim-245mm.html

The company claim these are 'consumable parts, operating like other high end tripods / monopods, and are relatively simple to replace'.

I don't consider such failure after 9 months of light use for a 'professional tripod' acceptable, but they disagree.

So my question is: are these consumable parts?

Do users of carbon fibre tripods from other manufacturers find these shims are in fact consumable?

If so, I will be surprised and chalk it down to experience, and be tender with it in future.

Meanwhile, my old, cheap Manfroto aluminium tripod that is battered from rolling around in the car all these years still gives good service.
A Benro carbon fiber monopod has served me at least 3 years without too much grief except once . While I walked along an uneven trail It gave way on its lowest section while being leaned on for balance . Being less careful with extending the lowest section that morning nearly pitched me into a headlong crash and burn . The Benro has a wrench clipped to the top-section which made a on the spot repair . Occasionally taking a moment to use that wrench and an Allen wrench to slightly tighten each joint has kept me out of trouble without new parts for at least 1000 hrs. despite my klutz moves .

09-10-2020, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

What should one expect from a £250 carbon fiber tripod including the ball head? It should not fall apart, but components will be cheap. Adding professional to the name is a bad joke. Check in with a better business office and set deadlines.
09-10-2020, 10:13 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

They're trying weasel out of warranty repairs imo. Vanguard fixed my tripod twice now free of charge, didn't even ask what happened to it (part that connects the ball head to the tripod broke). They paid for return shipping as well.
09-10-2020, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a former design engineer who worked with molded plastics among other things. There are a bazillion plastic resins out there with all kinds of properties. Some are very tough and wear resistant. If someone wanted to design a leg shim for a 'professional' tripod that would give years of trouble free service it could certainly be done. Of course, there is the cost/perfomance ratio. My guess is that the Novo designer chose an inexpensive resin, under-designed the part for the stresses it would see, and/or the plastic was processed improperly. Any of these causes is unacceptable for a product marketed for 'professional' use.

I have a Kamero tripod I bought at K-Mart in the '70s that's still going strong. I certainly didn't spend much on it, and the leg shims are just as snug as ever.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 09-10-2020 at 10:27 AM.
09-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
My guess is that the Novo designer chose an inexpensive resin, under-designed the part for the stresses it would see, and/or the plastic was processed improperly. Any of these causes is unacceptable for a product marketed for 'professional' use.
I doubt any form of stress analysis was done, and little product testing. They may even be glass filled, which is a disaster for the application.

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
They're trying weasel out of warranty repairs imo. Vanguard fixed my tripod twice now free of charge, didn't even ask what happened to it (part that connects the ball head to the tripod broke). They paid for return shipping as well.
I agreed, and their attitude to a minor issue bodes unwell for anything more serious too. At this point I see their warranty as worthless. Vanguard have given you good service by any measure.
09-10-2020, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I noticed that on their Web site there is a whole product category simply labeled "Spares". Under that heading are things like leg and column lock collars, shims, bag hooks, and feet. With the exception of feet, I would not normally expect any of those to be the sort of thing I should carry a spare for.

https://www.novo-photo.com/products/supports/novo-spares

Steve
09-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
This was done through the dealer, and that may be the problem.
Have you contacted Nova directly? Perhaps they would be much easier to work with, and might be interested that one of their dealers refuses to help you with their failed product.
09-11-2020, 11:59 AM - 3 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Have you contacted Nova directly? Perhaps they would be much easier to work with, and might be interested that one of their dealers refuses to help you with their failed product.
The sales company by the name of UK Digital / UK Optics Ltd have the same phone number as Novo, under their Contact Us tab. So it appears I have bought it directly, it's just that the sales organisation goes by a different name.

I have now bought some to get me by. I have discovered that the split ones can be supported with tape on the outside and still fit nicely, so I have done that for the vulnerable top leg ones.

Thank you everyone for your replies, it's good to know there are reliable CF tripods out there and this one may prove to be good afterall, albeit with some care and limitations.

The aftersales is disappointing, and I am moving on as life is too short as it is.
09-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Under UK law you would have a clear cut case as the consumer regulations state that goods must
1 be of merchantable quality
2 fit for the use they are sold for
3 must have reasonable durability

If it were me in the UK I would be putting it nicely to the store that a tripod thats falls to bits after 9 months fails on all three counts and ask for a replacement or alternative product or a full refund. If they said no then the next step would be a letter to state the case and a polite note that if they dont comply the next step will be a small claims court which would settle this one and would allow me to recover costs.

Conusmable/Replaceable items pffftttt....the tripod broke. Unless its stated on the warranty form that bits fall off and break and arent covered then its on them.

UK consumer law is very handy for this kind of thing but if you are out of the UK you would probably be in a world of contract law and whatever is in the contract of sale and warranty...ouch.

If I were the company, and I am kind of in my day job dealing with this kind of thing, frankly I would just send you a bag of spares and be done with it, you would be happy and sing what a great company we were and you would be out of my hair.

Always amazes me companies still run like this....seriously who wants unhappy customers and aggravation in their life. Would be sooooooo easy to make the customer happy with a jiffy bag and a few quids worth of spare parts why bother arguing.

I just picked up a nice old Velbon tripod, probably 50 years old and still looks like new.