Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Any Pentaxian's experience with Optics Planet?

Does anybody here have experience buying cameras or lenses from Optics Planet, which seems to be primarily a hunting store (but which also owns Apogee, an astronomy camera company)? They do seem to have a large line of Pentax equipment listed for sale, and I see that Pentax Forums lists them as an official Ricoh/Pentax product seller. Their product web pages seem very minimal, and I've read lots of complaints about them online. Just wondering if anybody on this Forum has experiences in buying from Optics Planet, good or bad?

09-09-2020, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Unregistered User

I used to buy gun-related stuff from them, and I did have a problem on a couple of occasions. In both cases, the order wasn't right, but they took the position that whatever I did was fraudulent and whatever they did was correct, righteous, and true. They're mostly pretty good, good prices and prompt shipping, but if there's a problem, it's a problem. Typical of low-budget/high-profit enterprises.

By the way, they're on my list of companies with whom I will no longer conduct business. The pennies saved just doesn't make it worthwhile, particularly since there's a good bit of competition for things where illegal price-fixing isn't an issue (ever notice how camera prices are so uniform?), and for those, you may as well optimize for shipping since there's no price competition.
09-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OpticsPlanet.com Reviews | 13,278 Reviews of OpticsPlanet.com | ResellerRatings
09-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worst retail seller in the world. Totally ripped me off with some binoculars I bought from them. Stay clear of them!

09-10-2020, 05:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought some microscope accessories, and it arrived smashed, and there was no recource, never got a response other than it was fine when it left them, never got a solution. Will never deal with them again. Horrible company.

Apogee was bought by Andor, which was bought by Oxford Instruments, and has nothing to do with Optics Planet.
09-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
Does anybody here have experience buying cameras or lenses from Optics Planet, which seems to be primarily a hunting store (but which also owns Apogee, an astronomy camera company)? They do seem to have a large line of Pentax equipment listed for sale, and I see that Pentax Forums lists them as an official Ricoh/Pentax product seller. Their product web pages seem very minimal, and I've read lots of complaints about them online. Just wondering if anybody on this Forum has experiences in buying from Optics Planet, good or bad?
I took a look at their website. Their selection of Pentax cameras and lenses is very limited and much higher priced than B&H and Adorama. If you are looking at Pentax binoculars or spotting scopes you should also check B&H and Adorama as they stock these also and are likely to have better pricing and they are reputable.
I never bought anything from them. All of my Pentax cameras and lenses were bought from B&H, Adorama and KEH.com. My binoculars were purchased from eagle optics which, unfortunately is no longer in business. Optics Planet seems to be more geared to gun and gun/hunting accessories.
09-10-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The only reason why I looked at Optics Planet is that they listed 10 (yes, ten!) new K-3 II cameras for sale on Ebay, and on their own website they list the price as $999. I was astounded at this because the K-3 II has not been in production for, what, two years now? And no other retailer seems to be selling new K-3 II cameras. So I got a couple of replies from Optics Planet but they still haven't explained (when they say "body only") if they are boxed with all original items from the factory and if they are indeed brand new. Seemed pretty sketchy to me, so I did some Google searches for complaints on Optics Planet (found plenty), although they have a 99% positive rate on Ebay (and I read through a bunch of the positive comments on Ebay from buyers). Thus confused, I launched this thread here on Pentax Forums to see what people here might have experienced. I think I'll stay far away. It seems to me that if somebody wanted to buy camera equipment from Optics Planet, they should try to do so via Ebay, to get that extra layer of protection provided by Ebay.
09-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #8

Ive used them for shooting sports optics. I think you can get a better price elsewhere. I saved $75 on a MSR EOTECH Holographic sight at Amazon.com. Id search the interweb for other options.