Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2020, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike Johnston thinks "Pentaxians are just the nicest people"

The Online Photographer: The 10th Camera: Why No Pentax?

QuoteQuote:
Oddly, there was, as several people pointed out, no Pentax on my list. I love Pentax, and I've owned and used many over the years. And my experience over a long period of time is that Pentaxians are just the nicest people. From Ned Bunnell, former President of Pentax USA, who reads TOP, to all the people I knew on the PDML, the Pentax Discuss Mailing List, they're typically courteous, friendly, and polite people. IMHO Pentaxians are the brand fans least likely to pick fights, flame, or troll.

09-13-2020, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"For years, all Pentax's digital cameras were APS-C, and yet they didn't ever have an APS-C lens with a 35mm- or 40mm-equivalent angle of view. I stuck it out for a long time but eventually got tired of waiting."

I've been saying this for years. I didn't leave the system, obviously, and I know how to buy used glass to get 24's and 28's that work on my K-5 II, but I agree with this.
09-13-2020, 08:26 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I thought that sounded a bit like a backhanded compliment but it's probably sincere.
I don't know, I stopped reading his blog a while back as I felt he's been getting a bit too political and a lot of posts were just off topic stuff...
09-13-2020, 09:20 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only real answer to the complaint about no 35-40 apsc equivalent primes is that:

A) we got loads of 24mm FF primes that fit (but not many that have autofocus).

B) we have the HD DA 20-40 which is the only limited that isn't a prime and is not far off from one. It covers that range and more.

C) The holy trinity for Pentax wasn't 35/50/85 but was the 31/43/77. By using the second lens in each group you get close to the same framing on apsc...

FA 31 (Full frame: 70 / 60 )
DA 21 (APS-C: 68 / 59 )

FA 43 (Full frame: 53 / 45 )
FA 31 (APS-C: 50 / 42 )
FA 28 is closer but was discontinued. The FA 31 remains in the current lens catalog.

FA 77 (Full frame: 31.5 / 26 )
DA* 55 (APS-C: 29 / 25 )

09-13-2020, 10:14 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Reminds me of this...
09-13-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The only real answer to the complaint about no 35-40 apsc equivalent primes is that:

A) we got loads of 24mm FF primes that fit (but not many that have autofocus).

B) we have the HD DA 20-40 which is the only limited that isn't a prime and is not far off from one. It covers that range and more.

C) The holy trinity for Pentax wasn't 35/50/85 but was the 31/43/77. By using the second lens in each group you get close to the same framing on apsc...

FA 31 (Full frame: 70 / 60 )
DA 21 (APS-C: 68 / 59 )

FA 43 (Full frame: 53 / 45 )
FA 31 (APS-C: 50 / 42 )
FA 28 is closer but was discontinued. The FA 31 remains in the current lens catalog.

FA 77 (Full frame: 31.5 / 26 )
DA* 55 (APS-C: 29 / 25 )
Mike has been shooting primarily Fuji for several years now, and has the 23/1.4 and 35/1.4. Pentax does not have anything truly comparable - a K-1 + 35/2 would be closest, but is larger and heavier than the Fuji setup.

Anyway, I just thought his kindly regard for the Pentax community was nice.
09-14-2020, 03:38 AM - 4 Likes   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

well... aren't we?
09-14-2020, 07:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Mike has been shooting primarily Fuji for several years now, and has the 23/1.4 and 35/1.4. Pentax does not have anything truly comparable - a K-1 + 35/2 would be closest, but is larger and heavier than the Fuji setup.

Anyway, I just thought his kindly regard for the Pentax community was nice.
Pentax has nothing in the APS-C range that comes close to the Fuji 23/1.4 and 35/1.4 for optical quality. Those two lenses are close to the best I've ever used (yes, I have both).
In full frame, the D FA* 50/1.4 is nicer than the 35/1.4 from Fuji, though I expect a lot of this is the format jump and the extra megapixels (I'm still using an XT-1). The FA31/1.8 is the closest thing Pentax has to the Fuji 23/1.4, but honestly, I don't think the 31 is the better lens.
The Fuji lenses are spectacular.

09-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
well... aren't we?
In my experience, no. But I do not get the staunch believe that Hoya-Ricoh/Pentax should have made a 35 or 40mm equivalent. I can understand that you can not find something that suites you with Pentax, but do not blame the manufacturer, blame yourself. If you are not the kind to adapt to what is offered, than go elsewhere. But the fact remains that there are a lot of lenses with the name Pentax on it that are fabulous products and are appreciated by a large number of photographers no matter if they are APS-C's or FF's. Take for instance the *'s and the Limiteds (which I do not like). But I treated myself to a 20-40mm which is a lens I appreciate very much, so yes I do have a Limited which I like and the 40mm Limited which I own is to my experience a disaster. And I know that others appreciate that lens very much but I just can't, but that is my problem, not anyone elses. So it remains on the shelf. I own enough Pentax film era lenses and yes the digital era lenses are different from those. But I learned to get around with what Pentax APS-C offered and I enjoy what I can do with those lenses and to be honest I never missed any APS-C equivalent of a focal length that I had in the film era, because if I look through the viewfinder I start framing my picture to what I like, and sometimes I had to change a lens to get what I wanted. But that is how photographing works, does not it?
09-14-2020, 08:21 AM - 3 Likes   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
In my experience, no. But I do not get the staunch believe that Hoya-Ricoh/Pentax should have made a 35 or 40mm equivalent. I can understand that you can not find something that suites you with Pentax, but do not blame the manufacturer, blame yourself. If you are not the kind to adapt to what is offered, than go elsewhere. But the fact remains that there are a lot of lenses with the name Pentax on it that are fabulous products and are appreciated by a large number of photographers no matter if they are APS-C's or FF's. Take for instance the *'s and the Limiteds (which I do not like). But I treated myself to a 20-40mm which is a lens I appreciate very much, so yes I do have a Limited which I like and the 40mm Limited which I own is to my experience a disaster. And I know that others appreciate that lens very much but I just can't, but that is my problem, not anyone elses. So it remains on the shelf. I own enough Pentax film era lenses and yes the digital era lenses are different from those. But I learned to get around with what Pentax APS-C offered and I enjoy what I can do with those lenses and to be honest I never missed any APS-C equivalent of a focal length that I had in the film era, because if I look through the viewfinder I start framing my picture to what I like, and sometimes I had to change a lens to get what I wanted. But that is how photographing works, does not it?
I'm really not sure who this load of vitriol is directed at....
09-14-2020, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
well... aren't we?
One would hope, but this thread we've already seen... a bit of animus.

Oh well, people is people.
09-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
One would hope, but this thread we've already seen... a bit of animus.

Oh well, people is people.
agreed - not sure where all that came from...
09-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So yeah I really think Hoya killed too many lenses off in 2004. Some of the film-era zooms were probably rightly put out to pasture although there was some glass that really wasn't that great which lived on or was introduced under their management (looking at you, DA 50-200). I think to be a Pentax shooter for a while now a person really needs to know how to use their camera and be a bit resourceful vs. what a person can get away with when they carry a Canon, Nikon, or Sony. At least that's the impression I get; Pentax folks are interested in shooting and not just owning a camera. And that's important.
09-14-2020, 11:41 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my experience, no.
If you've reached that conclusion as a result of interactions here on PF, that's unfortunate Whilst you've received some fairly robust responses to a few of your posts and your lens reviews, I'm certain these weren't intended to offend or alienate you, but rather to prevent unintentional spread of misinformation to others. FWIW, I've occasionally been on the receiving end of such critique and corrections too, and whilst it might sting a little initially, it's not personal and is for the best. Indeed, I've learned things as a result and, ultimately, I'm grateful for the feedback

This place is the only reference I have by which to measure the Pentax community as a whole, and on balance I'd say folks are very friendly - some more so than others, but I can't imagine a broadly nicer group

But I do not get the staunch believe that Hoya-Ricoh/Pentax should have made a 35 or 40mm equivalent. I can understand that you can not find something that suites you with Pentax, but do not blame the manufacturer, blame yourself. If you are not the kind to adapt to what is offered, than go elsewhere. But the fact remains that there are a lot of lenses with the name Pentax on it that are fabulous products and are appreciated by a large number of photographers no matter if they are APS-C's or FF's. Take for instance the *'s and the Limiteds (which I do not like). But I treated myself to a 20-40mm which is a lens I appreciate very much, so yes I do have a Limited which I like and the 40mm Limited which I own is to my experience a disaster. And I know that others appreciate that lens very much but I just can't, but that is my problem, not anyone elses. So it remains on the shelf. I own enough Pentax film era lenses and yes the digital era lenses are different from those. But I learned to get around with what Pentax APS-C offered and I enjoy what I can do with those lenses and to be honest I never missed any APS-C equivalent of a focal length that I had in the film era, because if I look through the viewfinder I start framing my picture to what I like, and sometimes I had to change a lens to get what I wanted. But that is how photographing works, does not it?
I actually understand and somewhat concur with the general point I believe you're making here, which is that there's more than enough current and legacy glass available in K-mount - much of it excellent, some of it better still - to cover the majority of tasks. There are some specific focal lengths arguably missing for both APS-C and full frame, but other focal lengths that - with very little adaptation on the photographer's part - fulfill the same use cases.

I know you had a bad experience with the DA40 Limited but - as we've discussed before - you were simply unlucky and really oughtn't to draw conclusions on that model or the rest of the range based on that singular disappointment. I have the HD versions of the DA15, DA21, DA35 Macro, DA40, DA70 and DA20-40. All are good copies without obvious decentering or other issues, and all are sharp from wide open - though better when stopped down a little, as you'd reasonably expect. Importantly, all render images in a very pleasing way. Ironically, the one Limited I've not fallen in love with is the 20-40, due to excessive field curvature at the long end... but too many folks, yourself included, rate this lens so highly that I must accept I'm the odd one out

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-14-2020 at 01:18 PM.
09-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
"For years, all Pentax's digital cameras were APS-C, and yet they didn't ever have an APS-C lens with a 35mm- or 40mm-equivalent angle of view. I stuck it out for a long time but eventually got tired of waiting."

Yes, Pentax have some odd FLs, but I do struggle with this complaint. 21mm is approx 30mm equivalent - 5mm off. 31mm is again 5mm off 40mm. Surely, a few mm either way is rarely going to be significant. Just stepping forward or back will generally get there. And anyway, who's to say the 35mm a 40mm is going to better than Pentax's equivalent? Statistically, I'd guess never. And anyway there's the 20-40mm which, I've found excellent. Maybe, I've interpreted this incorrectly. Wouldn't be the first time ;-)