Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2020, 04:00 AM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
The Covid crisis effectively shutdown my coffee shop and newspaper fix post early morning photo walk - so I've adapted. In the past I've tried several types of flasks that claimed to do the basic, that is keep stuff hot. All have been useless. However, recently I've come across the Stanley brand and I'm smitten. It really does keep drinks hot. So taken am I with their gear that I've also purchased a food flask and my wife and I, a travelling mug each. All of 'em work brilliantly.
Barry - I've been looking at Stanley flasks for some time, having always used (and been fairly happy with) Thermos - typically the plastic body, glass liner versions. As a result of your post, a significant price reduction, additional 10% discount (bringing the overall discount to 35%) and free Prime delivery on Amazon UK, I recently ordered the 1L Stanley Legendary Classic bottle, and it arrived this morning.

I was a little unsure of buying one of these "Made in China" versions as I've heard conflicting reports on quality, but the one I've received is solidly made, nicely finished and seems like it should be more than capable of handling the moderate duties I'd expect of it. It has a lovely retro look and feel, too I've washed it out, warmed it up, and filled it with hot water from a just-boiled kettle. I'll check on it in 12 hours time to see how warm the water is. If I can still get a decently warm drink from a flask 12 hours after filling, I'm satisfied. Stanley's claim of 24 hours seems rather optimistic, but we'll see

10-17-2020, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
. . . I'll check on it in 12 hours time to see how warm the water is. If I can still get a decently warm drink from a flask 12 hours after filling, I'm satisfied. Stanley's claim of 24 hours seems rather optimistic, but we'll see
depends on your definition of " warm "

always remember to preheat it, leave it with that liquid for a while and then empty it and add your drink and the liquid will be a useable temperature for a long time

[ precool it the same way if you want cold liquid instead ]

mine was bought around 1973 when I was in High School,

" Aladdin (c ) Stanley (R) vacuum bottle no. A-94DH Quart " and has a hard to read US Patent Number

it has a metal cup and plastic " flow through " inserts

despite the " beauty marks " I have inflicted over the years, it works perfectly fine

[ a lot better than I do, if I am being honest with myself ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-17-2020 at 04:25 AM.
10-17-2020, 04:46 AM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
It doesn't need to be steaming hot, but I want it significantly higher than body temperature. Somewhere comfortably in between those limits is fine for me. Frankly, if I make a flask of tea or coffee with boiling water at, say, 7am, the likelihood of me having any left at 7pm is pretty slim 12 hours maximum is all I need... Stanley claims 24. I'll be interested to see if that's the case...

always remember to preheat it, leave it with that liquid for a while and then empty it and add your drink and the liquid will be a useable temperature for a long time

[ precool it the same way if you want cold liquid instead ]
Yes, that's how I do it. I boil a kettle, pour the water into the flask and let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes before emptying and re-filling with hot water and adding instant coffee or tea and a splash of warmed milk. I only use instant in flasks... heresy, I know, but that's how I roll. I only have "real" coffee and tea at home...

mine was bought around 1973 when I was in High School,

" Aladdin (c ) Stanley (R) vacuum bottle no. A-94DH Quart " and has a hard to read US Patent Number

it has a metal cup and plastic " flow through " inserts

despite the " beauty marks " I have inflicted over the years, it works perfectly fine

[ a lot better than I do, if I am being honest with myself ]
I looked at some pre-owned Tennessee-made Stanley flasks on eBay and was considering buying one of those, but figured I'd go with a new one instead. The "Made in China" thing bugs me a little, but most new flasks seem to be made there now
10-17-2020, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Barry - I've been looking at Stanley flasks for some time, having always used (and been fairly happy with) Thermos - typically the plastic body, glass liner versions. As a result of your post, a significant price reduction, additional 10% discount (bringing the overall discount to 35%) and free Prime delivery on Amazon UK, I recently ordered the 1L Stanley Legendary Classic bottle, and it arrived this morning.

I was a little unsure of buying one of these "Made in China" versions as I've heard conflicting reports on quality, but the one I've received is solidly made, nicely finished and seems like it should be more than capable of handling the moderate duties I'd expect of it. It has a lovely retro look and feel, too I've washed it out, warmed it up, and filled it with hot water from a just-boiled kettle. I'll check on it in 12 hours time to see how warm the water is. If I can still get a decently warm drink from a flask 12 hours after filling, I'm satisfied. Stanley's claim of 24 hours seems rather optimistic, but we'll see
Mike, hope it works for you. All 4 of my Stanleys are made in China. Sadly we've given them names Tall Stanley, Fat Stanley (food flask) etc. Yep, sad, I know ...

My 1.4 litre flask (Tall Stanley :-) ) was pre-warmed with hot water, and filled with just off hot water last week. I never used it and when I poured it out 8 hours later it was far too hot to touch.

The travel mugs are not quite so good at keeping the drinks hot. We put them in neoprene sleeves and fit them into the elasticated pockets of our rucksacks, thus they are exposed to wind chill etc.. The claim is 7 hours. I'd say hot after 4 hours and tepid after 8. Putting them inside our racksacks, with some insulation around them will help, I'm sure, in the cold months ahead. Perhaps it will be the same with Tall Stanley in freezing weather? I'll leave it in the car for a drink on my return, but probably wrap it up just to help a little.

Let us know how you get on ...

10-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Anyone else got a non-photographic something that adds to their photo experience?
My dog accompanies me on most of my pic taking excursions,so even if there's nothing worth photographing the trip hasn't been wasted.
10-18-2020, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It doesn't need to be steaming hot, but I want it significantly higher than body temperature. Somewhere comfortably in between those limits is fine for me. Frankly, if I make a flask of tea or coffee with boiling water at, say, 7am, the likelihood of me having any left at 7pm is pretty slim 12 hours maximum is all I need... Stanley claims 24. I'll be interested to see if that's the case...
Mike, hope it works for you. All 4 of my Stanleys are made in China. Sadly we've given them names Tall Stanley, Fat Stanley (food flask) etc. Yep, sad, I know ...

My 1.4 litre flask (Tall Stanley :-) ) was pre-warmed with hot water, and filled with just off hot water last week. I never used it and when I poured it out 8 hours later it was far too hot to touch.

The travel mugs are not quite so good at keeping the drinks hot. We put them in neoprene sleeves and fit them into the elasticated pockets of our rucksacks, thus they are exposed to wind chill etc.. The claim is 7 hours. I'd say hot after 4 hours and tepid after 8. Putting them inside our racksacks, with some insulation around them will help, I'm sure, in the cold months ahead. Perhaps it will be the same with Tall Stanley in freezing weather? I'll leave it in the car for a drink on my return, but probably wrap it up just to help a little.

Let us know how you get on ...
Well, colour me impressed... Having pre-warmed the new Stanley flask and filled it from a just-boiled kettle, I set it on my kitchen counter yesterday morning. 6 hours later the water was scalding hot, and at 12 hours still very hot indeed. This morning, 23 hours later, it's about the temperature of a hot bath - steaming, and plenty hot enough for an enjoyable drink. I have things to do this morning, so probably won't check in at the full 24 hour mark, but I see no reason why it'll be markedly different.

Of course, this was indoors; it'll lose temperature more rapidly when outdoors in cooler or cold weather... but the way I'll typically use it, it'll be in a bag, in the foot-well of my heated car for most of the time. I won't likely walk with it for more than 2 - 3 hours. Given that, it's clearly more than capable of exceeding my "12 hours warm" requirement
10-18-2020, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, colour me impressed... Having pre-warmed the new Stanley flask and filled it from a just-boiled kettle, I set it on my kitchen counter yesterday morning. 6 hours later the water was scalding hot, and at 12 hours still very hot indeed. This morning, 23 hours later, it's about the temperature of a hot bath - steaming, and plenty hot enough for an enjoyable drink. I have things to do this morning, so probably won't check in at the full 24 hour mark, but I see no reason why it'll be markedly different.

Of course, this was indoors; it'll lose temperature more rapidly when outdoors in cooler or cold weather... but the way I'll typically use it, it'll be in a bag, in the foot-well of my heated car for most of the time. I won't likely walk with it for more than 2 - 3 hours. Given that, it's clearly more than capable of exceeding my "12 hours warm" requirement
Good aren't they. Pleased, you're pleased.

10-18-2020, 04:04 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, colour me impressed... Having pre-warmed the new Stanley flask and filled it from a just-boiled kettle, I set it on my kitchen counter yesterday morning. 6 hours later the water was scalding hot, and at 12 hours still very hot indeed. This morning, 23 hours later, it's about the temperature of a hot bath - steaming, . . .
Sounds about right

should last for years

enjoy

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-18-2020 at 04:56 AM.