Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2020, 07:27 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1000th posting and non photo photo item

I noticed a few days ago I was approaching my 1000 th posting. I wonder if I should celebrate, sign up for a time management course or seek help ...;-)

As I've just come across an item that has 'improved' my photography experience, I thought I'd share it.* Apologies straight off to any Americans reading this posting, as I'm sure you'll be aware of it.

The Covid crisis effectively shutdown my coffee shop and newspaper fix post early morning photo walk - so I've adapted. In the past I've tried several types of flasks that claimed to do the basic, that is keep stuff hot. All have been useless. However, recently I've come across the Stanley brand and I'm smitten. It really does keep drinks hot. So taken am I with their gear that I've also purchased a food flask and my wife and I, a travelling mug each. All of 'em work brilliantly.*

Forget the newspaper - far too depressing these days - I've replaced it with a Kindle. So I've an enjoyable hot drink/snack/read to look forward to when I return to my car for the cooler times to come. Reckon this will further improve my photo outings immeasurably ...

Anyone else got a non-photographic something that adds to their photo experience?

As a Covid aside, when I returned last week to my car which I'd parked in a small, remote, car park pre-dawn, I was surprised to encounter four elderly blokes sitting under a tree with an elaborate spread of food and wine set before them. I was expecting a peaceful mini-picnic with my Stanley. No complaints - they had every right to be there, obviously - but it's just another example of Covid changing things. Wonder how many behaviours will stick and change our photography ...

10-04-2020, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I wonder if I should celebrate, sign up for a time management course or seek help
All of the above ............we look forward to the next 1000 Barry.

10-04-2020, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Just as a coincidence your number of posts happened to be at 1,000 when I viewed this thread. w00t!

Here's a screengrab for you:
10-04-2020, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hah, congrats! And if you need a time management course... I'm well due for an intervention
Anyone else got a non-photographic something that adds to their photo experience?

I also bring coffee and some nice sandwiches for hiking - I like sitting in nature and just listening to the nothingness, even if I brought the camera. Somehow keeps the photo part from feeling like an obligation.

10-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1000 was long long ago...
10-04-2020, 09:25 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Scotch.
10-04-2020, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Hah, congrats! And if you need a time management course... I'm well due for an intervention

I also bring coffee and some nice sandwiches for hiking - I like sitting in nature and just listening to the nothingness, even if I brought the camera. Somehow keeps the photo part from feeling like an obligation.
Similarly, I like doing the nothingness thing too. One little game I play is to sit still on a log or something, de-focus my eyes and try and expand my peripheral vision. As humans nowadays we spend too much time just looking into a cone in front of us. After a few minutes of this exercise I'm frequently amazed about how much I sense and hear. Trying to shut out the c*** that keeps filtering in and this, I suppose meditative state, can be quite restorative.

Also, I often mutter to myself "to think like a herbivore" when I'm outside - reminds me to try and keep my senses "looking" a full 360 degrees.

Guess I don't have too many photographic buddies when out with my camera ;-)

---------- Post added 10-04-20 at 05:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
1000 was long long ago...
Show off ;-)

---------- Post added 10-04-20 at 05:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Scotch.
Nice idea, but then I have to drive home

10-04-2020, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's interesting that the famous US Stanley companies aren't related. The flask company was in the same town as the tool company for a while, but that's about it. Photographic tie-in: The car company was started after the Stanley brothers cashed in on their very successful process for photographic plates.

10-04-2020, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As an astronomer and some-time small plane pilot, I always look UP when I go out the door (and even inside sometimes). There's almost always something interesting there, even if it's only an expanse of clear blue sky.

I have pictures of jet plane contrails, weird clouds, rainbows (I've given half a dozen of my neighbors pictures of rainbows landing on their house - so far, no pots of gold, though), sunspots, moon and planets, sun rises and sun sets (don't we all!), the sun peeking through trees, the local buzzards, the buildings in Rockefeller Plaza in New York, the interior of a light house in Oregon, the sun glinting off of spiderwebs blowing through the air, ....
10-04-2020, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I got my Stanley back in HS when I was an assistant to a carpenter

still have it and it still works fine

congrats on the number of posts
10-04-2020, 11:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I got my Stanley back in HS when I was an assistant to a carpenter

still have it and it still works fine

congrats on the number of posts
Thanks, Allen. Some way to go to reach your elevated heights. Good to hear Stanley's are long lived ...

---------- Post added 10-04-20 at 07:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
All of the above ............we look forward to the next 1000 Barry.
Many thanks Peter ...
10-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I noticed a few days ago I was approaching my 1000 th posting. I wonder if I should celebrate, sign up for a time management course or seek help ...;-)

As I've just come across an item that has 'improved' my photography experience, I thought I'd share it.* Apologies straight off to any Americans reading this posting, as I'm sure you'll be aware of it.

The Covid crisis effectively shutdown my coffee shop and newspaper fix post early morning photo walk - so I've adapted. In the past I've tried several types of flasks that claimed to do the basic, that is keep stuff hot. All have been useless. However, recently I've come across the Stanley brand and I'm smitten. It really does keep drinks hot. So taken am I with their gear that I've also purchased a food flask and my wife and I, a travelling mug each. All of 'em work brilliantly.*

Forget the newspaper - far too depressing these days - I've replaced it with a Kindle. So I've an enjoyable hot drink/snack/read to look forward to when I return to my car for the cooler times to come. Reckon this will further improve my photo outings immeasurably ...

As a Covid aside, when I returned last week to my car which I'd parked in a small, remote, car park pre-dawn, I was surprised to encounter four elderly blokes sitting under a tree with an elaborate spread of food and wine set before them. I was expecting a peaceful mini-picnic with my Stanley. No complaints - they had every right to be there, obviously - but it's just another example of Covid changing things. Wonder how many behaviours will stick and change our photography ...
Good Morning,

For a thermos I have another American brand that is actually branded as a Thermos, made by Macomb, IL., 61455, USA. That information all came off the base of the thermos! There is another brand making inroads here and it is called a Yeti. They originated in the USA and have a very extensive range of thermos, travel mugs and eskys to name a few. Just go to Yeti.com for their range!

Regards,
Gordon.
10-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Good Morning,

For a thermos I have another American brand that is actually branded as a Thermos, made by Macomb, IL., 61455, USA. That information all came off the base of the thermos! There is another brand making inroads here and it is called a Yeti. They originated in the USA and have a very extensive range of thermos, travel mugs and eskys to name a few. Just go to Yeti.com for their range!

Regards,
Gordon.
I saw a short video, something like "Russell Crowe translates Aussie and Kiwi slang". Someone hands him a card with a word and he explains its meaning. One card was "Chilly pack". "Oh, that's easy, chilly pack means esky."
10-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #14
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
One card was "Chilly pack". "Oh, that's easy, chilly pack means esky.
Interesting - must be a Kiwi thing. They don't speak proper Aussie over there. It's never anything but an esky here.

But back on thread, congrats on reaching 1000 and just give in to the temptation to keep going.
10-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do a lot of astro shooting so bringing a good pair of binoculars is always a plus just to enjoy the nigh sky.