Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ansel Adams Exhibition

The Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Springdale, Arkansas, is hosting an exhibition entitled, "Ansel Adams in Our Time", now thru January 3, 2021. It was organized by the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and the Ansel Adams Publishing Rights Trust.

From their website,
QuoteQuote:
In Ansel Adams in Our Time, discover more than 100 of Adams’ most iconic works like never before, displayed alongside nineteenth-century photographers and contemporary artists who both influenced, and were influenced by, the legendary American artist.
This sounds very interesting and a great opportunity for anyone who's going to be in the NW AR, SW MO, SE KS, NE OK area. The Ozark Mountains are normally beautiful with peak fall colors around late October/early November.

Here's a link to the Crystal Bridges webpage about it.

Ansel Adams in Our Time - Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

10-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #2
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Ansel Adams Exhibition
I own many books by Ansel Adams, and I believe that many people buy books just to admire his images and for his commitment to photography, also remember the Alinari in Florence
great masters of art and photographic reproduction and Harry Burton the photographer of Howard Carter,
to him we owe all the memorable images of the discovery and documentation of the tomb of Tutankhamun,
I have a beautiful documentary about him, working in the middle of the desert with the sand that infiltrates everywhere and with poses of a few seconds in those conditions is something of magic.

Mario
10-05-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had the privilege of viewing multiple Adams prints in person. It is one thing to see the image in a book or on a screen and quite another to see one in person. They are gorgeous, the work of a master.

Steve
10-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #4
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have had the privilege of viewing multiple Adams prints in person. It is one thing to see the image in a book or on a screen and quite another to see one in person. They are gorgeous, the work of a master.
You are partially right.

But very often it is not possible to attend exhibitions because of the period and the distance from the place where you live,
also in the books are explained many behind the scenes and many details that you do not see in an exhibition.

For example, Il cenacolo di Michelangelo in HD
you can see the details better here than live because of many factors,
I have a very detailed documentary by Roberto Giacobbo "Freedom", where among many things there is a part dedicated to the restoration phases... it is not possible to see in detail them because
the documentary was shot in 8k (I have at moment only Full HD). My sister-in-law wanted to go and see it, but she was partially disappointed.

Mario

10-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Steve
This is why I plan to attend. It's a long day trip for me, about 3-1/2 hours driving one way (may pitch a tent for the night at nearby Beaver Lake if the weather is nice), but it will be worth it just to see Adams' work on those gelatin silver prints. They way he intended them to be viewed.
10-05-2020, 11:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Steve
I visited a gallery in Santa Fe that had a small permanent exhibit of Adams prints. This would have been in the early 1990s. In the gallery store they had for sale an original Moonrise print that was signed by St. Ansel. For a mere 15k it could have been mine. Had my wife not been beside me keeping me away from my wallet it would have been.
The foreground in Moonrise is slightly outside of the zone of focus.
10-05-2020, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went to an exhibition of Adam's work at the Savannah College of Art and Design back in the Autumn of 2007. I've been a huge fan ever since. There was a small exhibit at a commercial gallery in London more recently, but unsurprisingly the prices were well out of my range.

As much as hopping on a plane across the pond to see this exhibit seems a fun idea, the current situation rather precludes it. 🙁
10-06-2020, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw an exhibition of his prints many years ago, the scale of photos and quality of the printing were just so much better than the images in books I had read about his work.well worth making the effort to see his work.

10-06-2020, 05:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too saw an exhibition of his prints many years ago in Cambridge, MA at the Polaroid Exhibition Center (now gone I think). Seeing an actual print of "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico" brought a tear to my eye.

I was also surprised to find out that he was sometimes employed by Polaroid as a test photographer and many of his shots were made on Polaroid large format film. The type he used would create an instant full-size positive proof as well as the negative, which he would then take into the darkroom and perform his masterful art on.

The exhibition also featured photos he took using the Polaroid instant cameras of the time. They still came out as technical masterpieces for lighting and composition. He was a true master of the medium.

Last edited by cdw2000; 10-06-2020 at 05:55 AM.
10-06-2020, 07:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

When I was just getting started in photography, I went to an exhibition of Ansel's work. He was still living at the time and gave a lecture to go along with the exhibition. I was awestruck by the detail and impact of his photos. I always say that it was a bit like playing one-on-one against Michael Jordan. I was forced to face the fact that no matter how long I lived...nor how hard I worked...I would never, ever be that good. An old guy was moving through the exhibition at about the same pace that I was. We shuffled through silently, staring at the prints, until he finally leaned over and said, "Makes you feel like going home and throwing out everything you've ever shot, doesn't it?" He was right.
10-06-2020, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I saw the international exhibition "Ansel Adams at 100" when it was on show in London and I was within reach in my summer break. I also saw some prints in New York in the 80s, three floors up on Fifth Avenue. I had never really "got" Grand Teton and the Snake River before, but I did then, because the full range of tones and light in the print were never quite there in the reproductions – the light bursting over the Tetons as the storm cleared was unmistakeable on the huge print.

I'd love to see the Springdale exhibibtion, so if anyone has a chance to go, do! You may be surprised, nay, delighted at the originals: I didn't know Santa Elena Canyon, Big Bend National Park before seeing it in London, but it made a great impression on me, it's practically 3-dimensional! There also was a huge print of an old favourite, Mt Williamson from Manzanar, which I simply gazed at in delight for ages.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 10-06-2020 at 12:03 PM.
10-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just made my reservations. We'll stop on our way to St. Louis to visit our grandkids. I am very excited to see this.

Note: If you want to see this exhibit, due to the Covid-19, the museum is admitting on a scheduled basis. Check the museum website for the schedule and ticketing.
10-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #13

I attended an exhibition years ago. I think it was the Mitsubishi collection. Even my non-photographer wife was wowed. They had a number of his early photographs. It was interesting to see how much he developed over time.

10-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kthornsberry Quote
I attended an exhibition years ago. I think it was the Mitsubishi collection. Even my non-photographer wife was wowed. They had a number of his early photographs. It was interesting to see how much he developed over time.
Yep, and intersting to see that he also changed his style over time making prints of the same negatives. Four examples are shown within the ios app LookingAtAnsel.
10-19-2020, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today I went to the Ansel Adams exhibit at the Crystal Bridges museum in Bentonville, Arkansas. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

Along with Adams' work there was the work of other photographers, from pre-Adams right through to our contemporaries. It was very instructive to compare and contrast the styles of these different artists.

If you can get to Bentonville, I heartily recommend seeing this exhibit.