Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 107 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2020, 10:01 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

I haven't noticed any recent changes with what places are available to photograph, or how people react. There's a longer term trend, though, driven by several factors:
  1. The 9/11/2001 airplane terror attacks made too many people afraid that anything they don't understand is terrorism, despite no evidence of terrorists using DSLRs. A security guard once tried to grab my camera while I was on a public sidewalk - I gently pushed him back and asked what he thought he was doing. He then said something nonsensical like "the government is watching the building for terrorists" and walked away.
  2. Some farmers have lost crops because of selfies. Ignorant people have trampled fields to take photos in the middle of sunflowers, lavender, etc.
  3. People who are misbehaving or overly self-conscious might be afraid of having their face shown online.

10-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I think, unfortunately, we are all facing similar issues in these uncomfortable times as we head out to do our photography.

About a year ago I posted about how I have taken to wearing a yellow safety vest whenever I am using my camera. The vest – sort of like walking around a plant or office building with a clipboard – seems to make you "okay" or at least only semi-visible. It works for me. For a $5 or $10 investment, it might be worth a try for you.
Could be the new Pentaxian outfit?! Easier for us to recognize fellows!
10-16-2020, 10:42 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few years ago I was in my yard taking pictures of, my yard. Our neighbor called my wife to tell her "there is a man in your yard taking pictures!" No place is safe!
10-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
...Certain government places have signs up prohibiting photography, I steer clear...
Those signs likely apply only while you are on the property of whichever agency posted the sign. If you are off their property you can take photos of those places. Air Force bases are used to people taking photos of aircraft. If you loiter at the edge of a military base taking photos, though, you might have the right to be there, but the military police also have the right to question you.

Classified information can't be photographed. But classified things also need to be secured from viewing by the general public, so if you can see it then it's probably not classified.

10-17-2020, 01:20 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Funny, I live in Canada and take huge cameras everywhere and no one says anything.
10-17-2020, 01:40 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
On a few occasions I have been asked 'Are you a professional photographer ?' (the corollary to which, I believe, may be the unspoken 'If you are making money photographing something of mine, I want a slice'). I think people in the UK, unless, as @aslyfox says, children are involved, are possibly more lenient in their viewpoint (read 'less paranoid') than in the US, but this is just an impression based on what I have read. Then again, very few of my images include people except as incidentals to the main subject matter.

You may be correct about the differences between the two countries.

As somebody said above, a polite explanation often turns into an introduction, which becomes an opportunity to photo what would otherwise be private areas.

The 'pass card' that is guaranteed to make outings conflict free is to out with my wife, which is rare as she doesn't relish the many pre-dawn trips;-) There's a marked difference in the responses of folk, even from a distance I can see it, as I'm spotted walking around with my gear. With her this never happens. Yes, as late middle aged people we are invisible to youngsters, but a friendly hello is a massive tension reducer. The young ones sometimes just ignore us. Older folk often stop and have a (looooong) natter

As an aside, I have never been refused when I've asked if I can take somebody's photo. Most times they've enthusiastically posed, which is nice. This, however, has mostly been with my GR - if only they knew this camera is more capable than many 'big' cameras.

It's so sad that this lack of trust has developed/developing.
10-17-2020, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

one thing to consider, if you happen to be in an area where you can access the web, show anyone who asks what you are doing your other photos

I show my flickr.com account - https://www.flickr.com/photos/pre69cubfan/albums - to show that I am just an amateur photographer

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-17-2020 at 04:27 AM.
10-17-2020, 03:51 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
This morning was a beautiful autumn morning here in northern Wisconsin USA. This time of year I love to take my camera out shooting the beautiful fall colors.

Last year while shooting the autumn colors on a rural road from my car, a local farmer drove up to my car and got in my face about why I was taking photos of his farmstead.

Well on my morning stroll around the neighborhood this morning, while on a public sidewalk I was angrily confronted by a 30ish year old male home owner about taking photos of the colorful maple tree in his front yard.

In my area there are fewer and fewer places where photography with a large DSLR-style camera (especially with a large lens and a tripod) are accepted/allowed. While ubiquitous cell phone photographers are welcomed, those using "BIG" cameras/lenses/tripods are viewed with suspicion. For example, at the local farmers market, iphoneographers are ignored, but when I shoot the very same photo with my big camera I often get dirty looks.

In my area, places where I can photographic with my DSLRs in peace are becoming fewer and fewer. Mostly I'm left with shooting at governmental parks and botanical gardens (sometimes having to pay extra for being a proper "photographer", while of course the iphone photographer is not so charged).

I'm finding that for a truly stress free photographic experience I'm more and more turning inward and shooting on my own property, in my own gardens, or inside in my little studio.

These increasingly unpleasant encounters have me seriously considering dumping my DSLR gear and getting the new iPhone 12 (larger sensor & RAW files).

Are you too finding the "photographic oases" where you are allowed to photograph in your area are disappearing? Are you too turning inward with your photography and shooting more at home? Or maybe are you feeling the pull to switch to the more acceptable iphone camera to be less conspicuous?
I find it interesting reading this post how many people are from Canada that don't have a problem, lots of good ideas to calm the souls of those upset by "picture takers". I want to draw attention to how many cameras are around installed by Government taking our pictures all the time privacy has almost disappeared, perhaps carry a card and offer to send a copy to their email will satisfy them & make you feel good too!
10-17-2020, 04:23 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Those signs likely apply only while you are on the property of whichever agency posted the sign. If you are off their property you can take photos of those places. Air Force bases are used to people taking photos of aircraft. If you loiter at the edge of a military base taking photos, though, you might have the right to be there, but the military police also have the right to question you.
You are right about applying on the property, but the problem is that many of these police forces interpret things differently, even though they may be wrong they may pursue something and let the courts decide. I do not wish to be involved in that hassle. I have saw a case in which a newspaper reporter took photos outside an installation and actually in the parking area of the installation, was detained by the police, who also confiscated the memory card. This of course became a news item, the commander of the installation backed his police force and this happened to be his last assignment in the military, that may be coincidental, but that usually happens when they can no longer get a promotion, and publicly fighting freedom of the press is not something that will help a military career. The paper sued and won somewhere in the $30,000-40,000 range. If you have ever read any of the many DOD or individual military branch regulations you would understand why those police can interpret things differently. Many of those regs contradict each other, in fact some contradict themselves from one section to the next in the same reg.
10-17-2020, 05:07 AM - 4 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

I often take one of my film cameras around the hospital I work at, in case some inanimate object (usually Easter, Halloween or Christmas decorations, sometimes medical equipment) catches my eye. On one occasion, some worthless busybody reported me to our chief of site security - and was told where to get off. On another, a worthless busybody challenged me directly. Showing this one my ID card produced a rapid retreat.

I will not be cowed or bullied.
10-17-2020, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am pretty circumspect in where and when I choose to take photos, and only once was I confronted by a person who was in the scene I chose to capture. Rather than explain all the reasons I was in the right, I showed her the images I had, and deleted a few . Not a big deal, and one of the remaining images hit Explore, bonus!

Knowing your rights to photograph in public is helpful to avoid being in the wrong. Being wise enough to use the right response in a situation is also important.
10-17-2020, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same relaxed attitude here in Germany as described by 35mmfilmfan for the UK, I would say, with respect to 'property'. I don't feel that there has been a major change in attitude towards photography over there past few years. But maybe it's also just me being overly sensitive about what people might not want to have photographed. On the other hand, Google blurred all private buildings on request to avoid potential privacy issues - and thus doesn't update street view anymore.

I remember having been approached once in the US and once in India around some company buildings, but can't remember any other occasion, neither in rural nor urban regions in about 15 other countries I've been to. I however don't use a tripod, except for landscapes and I do ask when in doubt. Maybe my preference for compact primes or small zooms also helps - my 2.8/70-200 only gets out for sports events.

Last edited by JensE; 10-17-2020 at 07:03 AM.
10-17-2020, 07:02 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought I'd add a few comments here also since this thread is a nice update to the $100 to photograph a cow thread $100 Charge To Photograph A Single Cow! - PentaxForums.com

I'm currently waiting for heavy rains to lift in Acadia National Park and thought I'd take the time to report on new regulations the Park Service has instituted. Even with our National Parks pass we found that going up Cadillac Mountain or driving Ocean Drive requires a new additional limited pass whose fees are not included in your annual National Parks pass and whose advance purchase sells out quickly. No passes were available for Cadillac Mountain. When I complained to the Park Service I was told this was to ensure access to all and when I asked how that was working for me the little tw#t ranger told me to make the left turn and leave the park as I was holding up the entrance line. We've found other trails and other locations to visit but parking is a problem in every location, even lesser used trailheads -- Jordan Pond and all the lots along the road completely full. Despite the fact that the Park Service has been aware of the increasing park visitation there has been very little expansion of facilities and parking to accommodate the increased visitation. For example, since our visit last year some of the roads including route 3 have been repaved -- there are several areas of the road near trailheads where it is impossible to find parking where the shoulder could have easily been widened slightly to accommodate safe roadside parking. Since the repaving was being done anyway how much more would this have cost the State working with the National Park Service.

For the Cadillac Mountain entrance there is a new shack to check reservations starting at 4:30AM. In addition to the 2 rangers checking the reservations there are 2 additional rangers with 2 new law enforcement SUVs with flashing lights that stand in the middle of the road the entire day. There are also additional personnel at the Ocean Drive entrance. Think of the cost of this -- salaries, overtime, benefits, vehicles, signs, reservation system and personnel, etc. The Park Service claims this is a limited trial program but as one who remembers the institution of the then "temporary" free backcountry permit system meant "to study park use patterns" morph into an expensive, limited use system which has closed off access to vast areas of the parks and temporary shuttle systems become permanent, mandatory use systems I think we can safely assume temporary means permanent and to be expanded in the future. Backcountry passes at Grand Canyon cost more than cheap hotels. What are the chances this remains a temporary program?

This new system has also been instituted in Zion National Park and possibly other parks. At Zion the reservation is available only 2 weeks in advance for a specific time slot on the shuttle bus. Dont' get a reservation and you are out of luck. Miss the time slot for your shuttle and you are out of luck. Try buying plane tickets (if you even want to fly), book hotel rooms, rent a vehcile to get to the destination on the chance you might be able to get one of the limited passes for the shuttle bus.

In over 50 years of visiting parks I've seen fees rise dramatically and access decrease exponentially. For all of you younger guys and gals considering a career or part-time career as a landscape photographer in the United States, or simply someone who wants to take their children to visit areas that have been set aside for all Americans and all people to visit let your representative know how you feel about current Park Service polices, write your congress critters, and make your voice heard at the Department of Interior/National Park Service. Otherwise one day we'll all wake up and find these treasures impossible to access. Probably won't be my lifetime but it certainly will be for you younger folks.
10-17-2020, 07:16 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
You may be correct about the differences between the two countries.

As somebody said above, a polite explanation often turns into an introduction, which becomes an opportunity to photo what would otherwise be private areas.

The 'pass card' that is guaranteed to make outings conflict free is to out with my wife, which is rare as she doesn't relish the many pre-dawn trips;-) There's a marked difference in the responses of folk, even from a distance I can see it, as I'm spotted walking around with my gear. With her this never happens. Yes, as late middle aged people we are invisible to youngsters, but a friendly hello is a massive tension reducer. The young ones sometimes just ignore us. Older folk often stop and have a (looooong) natter

As an aside, I have never been refused when I've asked if I can take somebody's photo. Most times they've enthusiastically posed, which is nice. This, however, has mostly been with my GR - if only they knew this camera is more capable than many 'big' cameras.

It's so sad that this lack of trust has developed/developing.
The couple times I've taken photos and had someone come over to me, it was either other photographers asking about the compositions I got (or gear sometimes) or people simply commenting on what I was photographing. But then again, I don't tend to photograph people often, too shy for that

---------- Post added 10-17-20 at 07:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
This new system has also been instituted in Zion National Park and possibly other parks. At Zion the reservation is available only 2 weeks in advance for a specific time slot on the shuttle bus. Dont' get a reservation and you are out of luck. Miss the time slot for your shuttle and you are out of luck. Try buying plane tickets (if you even want to fly), book hotel rooms, rent a vehcile to get to the destination on the chance you might be able to get one of the limited passes for the shuttle bus.
Oh wow, when I was there (Spring 2018) we... arrived, jumped in the first shuttle we found, hiked up to Observation Point, came back, jumped in the last shuttle in the middle of the rain.

I mean, I believe that access should generally be restricted to prevent mass tourism of natural areas, but neither money nor short-term reservations are the way to do so, IMHO. We planned our road trip 4 months in advance! If we had to skip Zion (let alone Bryce and the Grand Canyon) I'd have been right miffed...
10-17-2020, 07:28 AM - 6 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
I thought I'd add a few comments here also since this thread is a nice update to the $100 to photograph a cow thread $100 Charge To Photograph A Single Cow! - PentaxForums.com

I'm currently waiting for heavy rains to lift in Acadia National Park and thought I'd take the time to report on new regulations the Park Service has instituted. Even with our National Parks pass we found that going up Cadillac Mountain or driving Ocean Drive requires a new additional limited pass whose fees are not included in your annual National Parks pass and whose advance purchase sells out quickly. No passes were available for Cadillac Mountain. When I complained to the Park Service I was told this was to ensure access to all and when I asked how that was working for me the little tw#t ranger told me to make the left turn and leave the park as I was holding up the entrance line. We've found other trails and other locations to visit but parking is a problem in every location, even lesser used trailheads -- Jordan Pond and all the lots along the road completely full. Despite the fact that the Park Service has been aware of the increasing park visitation there has been very little expansion of facilities and parking to accommodate the increased visitation. For example, since our visit last year some of the roads including route 3 have been repaved -- there are several areas of the road near trailheads where it is impossible to find parking where the shoulder could have easily been widened slightly to accommodate safe roadside parking. Since the repaving was being done anyway how much more would this have cost the State working with the National Park Service.

For the Cadillac Mountain entrance there is a new shack to check reservations starting at 4:30AM. In addition to the 2 rangers checking the reservations there are 2 additional rangers with 2 new law enforcement SUVs with flashing lights that stand in the middle of the road the entire day. There are also additional personnel at the Ocean Drive entrance. Think of the cost of this -- salaries, overtime, benefits, vehicles, signs, reservation system and personnel, etc. The Park Service claims this is a limited trial program but as one who remembers the institution of the then "temporary" free backcountry permit system meant "to study park use patterns" morph into an expensive, limited use system which has closed off access to vast areas of the parks and temporary shuttle systems become permanent, mandatory use systems I think we can safely assume temporary means permanent and to be expanded in the future. Backcountry passes at Grand Canyon cost more than cheap hotels. What are the chances this remains a temporary program?

In over 50 years of visiting parks I've seen fees rise dramatically and access decrease exponentially. For all of you younger guys and gals considering a career or part-time career as a landscape photographer in the United States, or simply someone who wants to take their children to visit areas that have been set aside for all Americans and all people to visit let your representative know how you feel about current Park Service polices, write your congress critters, and make your voice heard at the Department of Interior/National Park Service. Otherwise one day we'll all wake up and find these treasures impossible to access. Probably won't be my lifetime but it certainly will be for you younger folks.
Well, I also have been visiting and camping in National Parks in the U.S. for 50+ years, and I'm not with you on this. The big, big problem is that there's a group of National Parks that are completely overrun with traffic and visitors, because the humans are too stupid to spread out and try someplace new. The problem has grown and grown.

My advice: go to the less visited parks (it's easy to find out what they are); go to National Forests and Monuments; go to BLM lands. If you can't find fantastic experiences in the vast territories of the U.S., you're being lazy both mentally and physically. Leave the overrun parks to those who can't access some of the off-the-beaten track stuff due to health or disability reasons. And give these parks a rest, for god's sake! They need it!

Also: state parks can be amazing. Finally, try the Canadian parks system---fantastic stuff up north, a whole lot less crowded.

Normally I wouldn't say any of this----the same way I don't talk about where the good fishing is anymore. But since we're all Pentaxians, and there's so few of us....but please don't tell those Canon and Nikon people! And I guess now the Sony ones, too.