Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 200 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
When I am with my family, I usually try to take a few photos to remember an event by and then put the camera away and experience the event with my wife and kids. Constant photo taking does feel like it detracts from real life, but it also feels like younger folks are driven to do it.
Younger folks are cybernetic organisms with the attachment to phones at this point. I witnessed a teen fail a drivers exam while getting a license renewed this summer. The examiner came in laughing and said the kid started texting during the drivers test.

11-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The next feature in computational photography should be a a long exposure that edits out people when they move until you have an empty scene in crowded locations.

Instagram has destroyed some natural areas as a herd of people try to insta-repeat the same shots for some likes.
So the 5000 shot auto median or sigma clipped average feature

That actually works wonders and does wonders getting rid of those pesky trails from all the Space-X StarLink satellites.
11-02-2020, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Younger folks are cybernetic organisms with the attachment to phones at this point. I witnessed a teen fail a drivers exam while getting a license renewed this summer. The examiner came in laughing and said the kid started texting during the drivers test.
Absolutely right and I think it's actually pretty scary. It seems normal to them but for people who grew up before anyone had a smartphone it's rather sad in some ways.
11-02-2020, 05:20 PM - 2 Likes   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You old timers know I'm right here, right?

11-02-2020, 05:55 PM - 2 Likes   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
You old timers know I'm right here, right?
Fast forward 30 years and your having this same conversation about the kids plugged into Elon Musk’s Neurolink with no human friends as the AI keeps them company.
11-02-2020, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fast forward 30 years and your having this same conversation about the kids plugged into Elon Musk’s Neurolink with no human friends as the AI keeps them company.
Worst part is that I don't even think you're too far off the mark there
11-02-2020, 11:44 PM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Absolutely right and I think it's actually pretty scary. It seems normal to them but for people who grew up before anyone had a smartphone it's rather sad in some ways.
For us 90’s kids, phone was a thing of high school, at least. We had lots of fun without it, enjoyed real outdoor play with our buddies. I personally like the separate approach to photography and phone-ography. But sadly it’s yet another reason why kids are stuck in the screen. It’s “easy photography”. And it comes cheaper than buying both devices. It was a predicted outcome. I feel lucky to have better memories of my childhood , I’ll leave it there.

11-03-2020, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
A lot of people say a phone is an important camera because it's one you always have with you....actually I think that is a negative sometimes. This current society emphasizes capturing everything and sharing it. Personally, I enjoy not having my camera sometimes. In fact, I've had some really cool moments where a capture might be nice but actually not having the ability to capture the scene enhanced it. I think focusing on pressing buttons and working an electronic device can actually take you mentally away from the experience, and just having that experience in your memory and experienced to the fullest is more important than sharing it.
Wait unti you are 50 or older.... no photo..... no memory.....

About 15 years ago when doing a lot of weekly air travel for work I soon realised.... no photo.... no car in airport carpark (take photo of nearest numbered pole).

Now.... I take a photo of the wife before she goes to the fruit and veg area of the supermarket.....
11-03-2020, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #159
dbs
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Noel

At least you can find your way home from the Flinders ...... or have you ?..

Dave
11-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #160
Veteran Member

The 12 pro max reviews are coming out. Looks like not much improvement from the 12 pro, or really from the 11 pro. HDR 3 does look nice in good light. The night photo’s probably look ok on the iphone but garbage on anything larger. Being that 99 percent of them will be texted to each other that covers everyone’s needs though. It’s not a DSLR but most people want a point and shoot and it certainly deliver’s there. I am impressed with iphone HDR handling of highlights and shadows.

iPhone 12 Pro Max Camera Review Zion ? Austin Mann
11-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #161
dbs
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My ' hand me down ' LG will just have to do ..... apparently it can take pictures too
11-10-2020, 04:13 AM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 12 pro max reviews are coming out. Looks like not much improvement from the 12 pro, or really from the 11 pro. HDR 3 does look nice in good light. The night photo’s probably look ok on the iphone but garbage on anything larger. Being that 99 percent of them will be texted to each other that covers everyone’s needs though. It’s not a DSLR but most people want a point and shoot and it certainly deliver’s there. I am impressed with iphone HDR handling of highlights and shadows.

iPhone 12 Pro Max Camera Review Zion ? Austin Mann
Not to mention that whatsapp/telegram/whathaveyou compresses the images as well, down to <1 MB sizes. It's still quite alright on a phone screen, as long as you don't even try to zoom in.
11-10-2020, 06:12 AM - 2 Likes   #163
Pentaxian

The next feature in computational photography should be a a long exposure that edits out people when they move until you have an empty scene in crowded locations.
I could not help thinking of this photo. It does not look very interesting, but it is the first known photograph with a person in it, actually two people. It was taken by Louis Daguerre from his window in 1838, possibly as a test shot of his new process. It was a busy-ish Paris street, but everyone has been lost in the time exposure, except for an unknown shoe-shine boy and his customer at the street corner, bottom left. They were in the same place long enough to be recorded. Bear in mind, being a Daguerotype this is a mirror image of the real scene.

Andy Warhol said everyone would have 15 minutes of fame. I think he was exagerating, 15 seconds is more likely - although this picture would have taken a few minutes. But these two men would never have known that they were making history.

Boulevard du Temple (photograph) - Wikipedia

11-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both have their place in our modern world.
I bet you carry a smart phone and use it as well as your SLR.
I certainly do.
For most of us photography is a hobby where use our learned skills and talents to create a picture where others may not see.
I enjoy it. That is what matters.
11-10-2020, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #165
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I could not help thinking of this photo. It does not look very interesting, but it is the first known photograph with a person in it, actually two people. It was taken by Louis Daguerre from his window in 1838, possibly as a test shot of his new process.
I hate to be picky, but he could do with cleaning his sensor...