Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 200 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2020, 02:25 PM   #166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Not to mention that whatsapp/telegram/whathaveyou compresses the images as well, down to <1 MB sizes. It's still quite alright on a phone screen, as long as you don't even try to zoom in.
Yes, for the small screen the Iphones look great even compared to DSLR. Ironically my iCloud is full of images from actual cameras as I just edit them on the phone or tablet into iCloud to share, i barely use the actual phone other than documenting things to remember.

Once I upgrade mine from the 8+ I may try and print some just out of curiosity at larger sizes. I think in good light, no problem tbh, same a point and shoot.

---------- Post added 11-10-2020 at 02:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I could not help thinking of this photo. It does not look very interesting, but it is the first known photograph with a person in it, actually two people. It was taken by Louis Daguerre from his window in 1838, possibly as a test shot of his new process. It was a busy-ish Paris street, but everyone has been lost in the time exposure, except for an unknown shoe-shine boy and his customer at the street corner, bottom left. They were in the same place long enough to be recorded. Bear in mind, being a Daguerotype this is a mirror image of the real scene.

Andy Warhol said everyone would have 15 minutes of fame. I think he was exagerating, 15 seconds is more likely - although this picture would have taken a few minutes. But these two men would never have known that they were making history.

Boulevard du Temple (photograph) - Wikipedia
Yes, maybe I’m onto something as a computational feature. I mean it would be super cool to be able to have the phone just composite a bunch of shots and delete out the crowds.

---------- Post added 11-10-2020 at 02:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by McCMac Quote
Both have their place in our modern world.
I bet you carry a smart phone and use it as well as your SLR.
I certainly do.
For most of us photography is a hobby where use our learned skills and talents to create a picture where others may not see.
I enjoy it. That is what matters.
Yeah smartphones still fun. It’s still a camera and you can definitely be creative and get some interesting images. Ironically as I mention above I use mine to edit with lightroom mobile for my other camera I’m carrying than shoot photo’s with it for sharing.

11-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #167
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by McCMac Quote
Both have their place in our modern world.
I bet you carry a smart phone and use it as well as your SLR.
I certainly do.
For most of us photography is a hobby where use our learned skills and talents to create a picture where others may not see.
I enjoy it. That is what matters.
There are times when the better lenses and larger sensor matter, but often the phone is the camera available at the time, and produces pretty good results.
11-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #168
Veteran Member

If you haven't have a look on youtube at the ProRAW feature that's now out on beta software. Seriously impressive. Another leap for smartphones.

11-25-2020, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #169
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
If you haven't have a look on youtube at the ProRAW feature that's now out on beta software. Seriously impressive. Another leap for smartphones.
Lee, would you be able and willing to take a few raw photos on your new iPhone 12 in different lighting conditions and share them? I'd be really keen to try processing them myself in Darktable, RawTherapee and Lightroom...

11-25-2020, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Lee, would you be able and willing to take a few raw photos on your new iPhone 12 in different lighting conditions and share them? I'd be really keen to try processing them myself in Darktable, RawTherapee and Lightroom...
Absolutely for anyone curious. Name what you want and I'll try to grab it if your curious. I'll receive the 12 pro max around December 5-10th as they're back ordered. But that should lineup with the 14.3 software release that enables the ProRAW feature.

I've very curious to see how well it does. They're claiming 14 stops DR which would be better than the K-3.

I by no means expect this to be a DSLR replacement, but it looks very capable and impressive for the small sensor.
11-26-2020, 12:52 AM   #171
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Absolutely for anyone curious. Name what you want and I'll try to grab it if your curious. I'll receive the 12 pro max around December 5-10th as they're back ordered. But that should lineup with the 14.3 software release that enables the ProRAW feature.

I've very curious to see how well it does. They're claiming 14 stops DR which would be better than the K-3.

I by no means expect this to be a DSLR replacement, but it looks very capable and impressive for the small sensor.
Thanks, Lee

For my own interest, I'd really appreciate a day-time photo of a scene with high dynamic range and movement - i.e. bright highlights and dark shadows in the same scene, with some moving cars or people... also a low natural light photo, perhaps taken in the late afternoon... and finally a landscape shot with foliage in the distance.

I note from this c|net article that conversion software will require specific support to be developed for compatibility with ProRaw files. Adobe is partnering closely with Apple, and it seems like iPhone 12 owners will need to use either Apple's own Photos App or Adobe tools to work with ProRaw files, while other software will only work with standard raw. If that's the case, it's a shame... but I guess it's all part of the money-making machine
11-29-2020, 05:22 PM - 2 Likes   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks, Lee

For my own interest, I'd really appreciate a day-time photo of a scene with high dynamic range and movement - i.e. bright highlights and dark shadows in the same scene, with some moving cars or people... also a low natural light photo, perhaps taken in the late afternoon... and finally a landscape shot with foliage in the distance.

I note from this c|net article that conversion software will require specific support to be developed for compatibility with ProRaw files. Adobe is partnering closely with Apple, and it seems like iPhone 12 owners will need to use either Apple's own Photos App or Adobe tools to work with ProRaw files, while other software will only work with standard raw. If that's the case, it's a shame... but I guess it's all part of the money-making machine
Will do. I’ll have the phone this coming weekend. I got a quite good deal on them with T-Mobile and a veterans discount. They gave me trade value on my 3 year old 8 plus that was 100 more than that phone was brand new. I cannot complain about that. So in the end the 12 pro max was about $400 which is very reasonable for that phone and it should give me another 3 years of solid use I think.

The ProRaw is in beta but I’ll probably get the update and try it out anyway. They may release 14.3 very soon though. Looks like Adobe Lightroom mobile already works with it so I’ll be able to play around with that. From what I’ve seen it’s extremely impressive for a file from a smartphone. I’m amazed they can gather that much data from a tiny sensor but I guess when you have a super powerful processor cherry-picking on the best pixels out of dozens of shots at once that can happen. The question is how close is it to a file from the D-750 or K-3?

We may still have a bit of fall foliage left in Alabama to grab with the new phone. I’m from the northeast of USA, Maine so this southern winter thing is new to me. It’s sort of an extended fall or probably closer to a winter in England. Summers are brutally hot.

12-04-2020, 11:45 PM   #173
Veteran Member

The 12 Pro Max is here. I’ll get some photo’s up this weekend. I’ll compare it to the Olympus TG-6, OMD EM10ii, K-3 and D-750 so we get a mix of sensor sizes.
12-05-2020, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #174
Veteran Member

Just a couple quick shots from last night as I basically grabbed the phone and took a few shots out of curiosity. There's a large street light down the road that casts everything in a yellow tint and the Pentax exposed the cool color of the xmas lights while the iPhone exposed the yellow from the street light. As you can see it's pretty impressive for a smart phone. I'll take a bunch more tonight.
Link incase images don't show.
Holding Folder - Google Photos

Pentax K-3 ISO 3200 DA* 16-50 @ 2.8 1/30th second hand held. No editing JPEG.

Iphone 12 Pro Max with Night Mode enabled.

Iphone 12 Pro Max with Night Mode disabled.

1:1 Crops.
12mp iphone.

24mp K-3

Last edited by LeeRunge; 12-05-2020 at 06:26 PM.
12-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #175
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi Lee

I am only seeing the first ? K 3 shot ( the doorway ) all the rest are blocked.

Dave
12-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Lee

I am only seeing the first ? K 3 shot ( the doorway ) all the rest are blocked.

Dave
I just checked on another browser and yes. Strange that link works. Up top theres a direct link to the google drive if you want to check them there as well.
Hopefully they're fixed.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 12-05-2020 at 06:30 PM.
12-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #177
dbs
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just checked on another browser and yes. Strange that link works. Up top theres a direct link to the google drive if you want to check them there as well.
Hopefully they're fixed.
Hi Lee

Thankyou

I can see them now.
12-05-2020, 09:47 PM - 3 Likes   #178
Veteran Member

Hand held without a tripod this iphone is taking better pictures in the dark than even the D-750. I'm not joking. Now if I can get any of them on a tripod and low ISO they pull ahead by a comfortable margin if you pixel peep. At iPhone screen sizes they look great. I think printed at 8x10 still would look great. Hand held though it's just crazy what this phone can do or on a tripod it's surprising. Granted it's basically a 1" exposure but the phones taking a whole bunch of shots at once and cherry-picking pixels. So no fast moving stuff. But even at ISO 51200 with a 1.8 prime I can't even get a proper exposure handheld with the D-750 and no problem with the iPhone. It's that dark and it's doing it. I think it's using Lidar to focus in total darkness.

I think some of the IBIS + stabilized lens sync combos can probably do what the Iphone is if you can handhold them a few seconds. I never thought I would see a phone beat the D-750 in the dark. Granted it's not stabilized at all so I can't hand hold lower than 1/15th or so when I'm braced, but still, wow.

The LED lighting is solar powered and very dim as its cold. Think near dead flashlight so barely any light out by the pool. I can't believe a smartphone is doing this. I could not get a handheld shot with the D-750, too dark, even at ISO 51200 @ 1/15th to give an idea of the light level out there.

D-750 with 20mm 1.8 G cropped to be near the 26mm iPhone lens. Both slightly adjusted JPEGS. ISO 100 10 seconds@ F 1.8......Tripod.

Iphone 12 night mode hand held 1 second ISO 3200.

D750 1/10th second ISO 3200 hand held.

Iphone 12 hand held. 1/5th second ISO 6400

Last edited by LeeRunge; 12-06-2020 at 12:13 AM.
12-06-2020, 04:34 AM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh wow, that's actually very impressive.
12-06-2020, 05:14 AM   #180
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hand held without a tripod this iphone is taking better pictures in the dark than even the D-750. I'm not joking. Now if I can get any of them on a tripod and low ISO they pull ahead by a comfortable margin if you pixel peep. At iPhone screen sizes they look great. I think printed at 8x10 still would look great. Hand held though it's just crazy what this phone can do or on a tripod it's surprising. Granted it's basically a 1" exposure but the phones taking a whole bunch of shots at once and cherry-picking pixels. So no fast moving stuff. But even at ISO 51200 with a 1.8 prime I can't even get a proper exposure handheld with the D-750 and no problem with the iPhone.
Very impressive for a phone, Lee, no doubt about it!

I'm looking forward to seeing raw and pro raw shots as and when available, moving-subject pro raw too, and some of the simulated shallow depth-of-field examples. Still, even without these, it's clear the iPhone is a serious photographic tool in its own right, capable of far more than just snapshots. As an additional tool in an experienced photographer's kit-bag, it complements a DSLR or mirrorless platform well. For the average Joe who isn't an enthusiast photographer, it'll be equally valuable...