Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2020, 03:26 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There are probably some people who buy cell phones for the phones, but I think more so, they just buy them as a swiss army knife that does all kinds of stuff -- lets you listen to music, browse the web, check on your finances, run a variety of other apps, and yes, take photos. Having a better camera in the cell phone may lead some to purchase it over a different model, but I think it ends up being the whole package.

As to whether or not you get the same or better results from a cell that you would from an APS_C or full frame camera, the answer is "probably not." Here folks are comparing heavily processed cell jpegs with minimally processed ILC shots. Run the ILC shots through some processing and voila, you get something that beats the pants off of your cell images.

I will say that if you only post images to the web and never print bigger than 8 by 10 and don't crop much, cell images may be adequate for your purposes. As a Facebook/Instagram camera, these are perfect, but there is more to life than Facebook and Instagram and as for me, that is the lowest hanging fruit to grab and certainly not the bar I would set as a judge of how good a camera was.
That's me, actually! I use the phone as everyday communication device - Whatsapp/Telegram, web browser, manga reader, MP3 player and some gaming here and there. The camera is mostly for grabbing snapshots - it does the job for that. The only things a more expensive phone can do are better photos, and I have a K-1 for that. If I were to spend even 600 for a phone I'd put the money aside, buy a GRiii that will outlast at least two phones and I'd be much happier.

I put a 50x70cm print of an Indian stepwell on my wall this last weekend, actually. Taken with the venerable Pentax-M 20mm f/4 pancake, a lens with less than stellar corners. I could have easily gone for 1 meter wide. Good luck getting a good looking phone photo beyond A4.

10-27-2020, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I put a 50x70cm print of an Indian stepwell on my wall this last weekend, actually. Taken with the venerable Pentax-M 20mm f/4 pancake, a lens with less than stellar corners. I could have easily gone for 1 meter wide. Good luck getting a good looking phone photo beyond A4.
You can print a great looking phone image at A2... so long as you stand far enough away from it
10-29-2020, 10:48 AM - 2 Likes   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You can print a great looking phone image at A2... so long as you stand far enough away from it
We'll we're replacing iPhone 8 plus here soon as my wife's is acting up. So I'll let you all know how the 12 plus camera is once I get it.
What would you like to see, I know it won't be better, but for fun what would you like to see.
10-29-2020, 12:16 PM - 3 Likes   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
We'll we're replacing iPhone 8 plus here soon as my wife's is acting up. So I'll let you all know how the 12 plus camera is once I get it.
What would you like to see, I know it won't be better, but for fun what would you like to see.
An uncropped shot of the moon?

Just kidding... Does it do pseudo-shallow depth-of-field? If so, and if you've any flowers left in your garden at this time of year, maybe a flower shot or two? Otherwise, perhaps a landscape / cityscape of a nearby location - as much because I'm nosy and love to see what it's like where other folks live

10-29-2020, 12:27 PM - 2 Likes   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grab a kingfisher in flight and you'll have my undisputed praise

Jokes aside, like Mike said: some wide angle architecture nearby, some flowers to show off the macro/bokeh, the works.
10-29-2020, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
An uncropped shot of the moon?

Just kidding... Does it do pseudo-shallow depth-of-field? If so, and if you've any flowers left in your garden at this time of year, maybe a flower shot or two? Otherwise, perhaps a landscape / cityscape of a nearby location - as much because I'm nosy and love to see what it's like where other folks live
Sounds like a plan. We might still have flowers. I'm in the Huntsville, Alabama area so it's still fairly warm. We still have roses on the bush out in the backyard.

---------- Post added 10-29-2020 at 12:47 PM ----------

Grab a kingfisher in flight and you'll have my undisputed praise

Jokes aside, like Mike said: some wide angle architecture nearby, some flowers to show off the macro/bokeh, the works.
I'll take an array of shots. I'll also try and get similar ones with my K-3 or D750 with primes to compare with the results. I'll use RAW and post process to get the most out of the DSLR's but probably leave a standard jpeg OOC as well so we can look at the potential, at least with my skills and what the default camera produces, then what iPhone shows.

I was just thinking of how you would get a kingfisher in the air. An iPhone hanging by fishing line triggered by iwatch lol.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 11-09-2020 at 02:28 PM.
10-29-2020, 10:49 PM - 2 Likes   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a plan. We might still have flowers. I'm in the Huntsville, Alabama area so it's still fairly warm. We still have roses on the bush out in the backyard.

---------- Post added 10-29-2020 at 12:47 PM ----------

I'll take an array of shots. I'll also try and get similar ones with my K-3 or D750 with primes to compare with the results. I'll use RAW and post process to get the most out of the DSLR's but probably leave a standard jpeg OOC as well so we can look at the potential, at least with my skills and what the default camera produces, then what iPhone shows.

I was just thinking of how you would get a kingfisher in the air. An iPhone hanging by fishing line triggered by iwatch lol.
A Kingfisher in the air with Samsung S8 (it was a pretty open brief)

and... I just leave the phone lying around as I find the birds like to do their own selfies/tweets these days....

Last edited by noelpolar; 10-30-2020 at 03:02 AM.
10-31-2020, 11:25 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Lol. All those tech website, desperate for that delicious click bait..
That’s the first side of the problem. The second one is the crowd of dslr owners that respond to this crap. There’s no comparison between the two. But if some insist , it’s gonna be a real photo enthusiast , at least, to be able to enjoy the capabilities of such phone cameras. A “point & shoot” approach from tech qeeks does not ensure the outcome. Let’s not forget the randomness of the conclusions, as if they have never had a comparison between a phone and a FF, or MF camera. If specs is their deal, they should really be talking about a comparison between the finest phone camera and a really great dslr or mirrorless. Otherwise I could brag on the superiority of my k70 against my 10 year-old Nokia....

11-01-2020, 04:23 AM   #129
Pentaxian

Imagine an iPhone to K adapter with a DFA* 50 f1.4 stuck on it

LoL
11-01-2020, 05:17 AM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO the problem with phone to DSLR comparison (like the often-shared iPhone 11 vs Canon 1DX "comparison") is that if you put the phone at its best (their two or three FLs, excellent light, static subject) the camera isn't gonna look much better.
11-01-2020, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO the problem with phone to DSLR comparison (like the often-shared iPhone 11 vs Canon 1DX "comparison") is that if you put the phone at its best (their two or three FLs, excellent light, static subject) the camera isn't gonna look much better.
The phone is one of those SUVs with a 475 hp engine that's almost as fast as a proper sports sedan.

And can off-road just a little bit. But isn't remotely close to a Jeep in off-roading or an M3 in handling. Yes, in the right circumstances you can have a decent showing, but it's not the best tool for much of anything. Which is fine, since 90% of everyone uses their Porsche Macan to drive from the Woodbury Estates housing development to the Expedition 9 office park, stopping at Whole Foods on the way home. It's perfectly competent for that.
11-01-2020, 08:21 AM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
The phone is one of those SUVs with a 475 hp engine that's almost as fast as a proper sports sedan. SUVs with a 475 hp engine that'll go 0-60 almost as fast as a sports sedan

And can off-road just a little bit. But isn't remotely close to a Jeep in off-roading or an M3 in handling. Yes, in the right circumstances you can have a decent showing, but it's not the best tool for much of anything. Which is fine, since 90% of everyone uses their Porsche Macan to drive from the Woodbury Estates housing development to the Expedition 9 office park, stopping at Whole Foods on the way home. It's perfectly competent for that.
Certainly so! There are many situations where a phone works well for most people. It just gets very obvious when you are outside those situations.
11-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #133
dbs
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OP here

Keep going I am enjoying all the tacks and turns.

Dave
11-01-2020, 08:46 PM - 2 Likes   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
So I'm doing it wrong with my old 325i using it as a tow vehicle when I go out to the woods on rather questionable roads. I haven't high and centered it in several years but did come close when I was out in CO and decided that I would continue down one of those mountain roads that highly suggests high clearance and 4 wheel drive.

There are many situations where a phone works well for most people.
I think most people want something that is just good enough. Even looking back at my child hood and I'm sure many others I would bet that most of our parents had the equivalent of the point and shoot 35mm, Polaroid, or 110 camera and being able to have something that they just point in the general direction and worked. Things like the nicer 120 format range finders, and various SLRs were available but always were smaller sellers. Most people just wanted good enough shots and now like then there are devices that accomplish that. Cell phones fill that spot now and produce better results.
11-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #135
Pentaxian

The Fro Knows guy checks out the iphone 12.

He’s actually pretty much on point with this one, and the prints do look good. 99 percent of people would never notice they were taken on an iphone.