Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The pencil. Just being able to sign or fill our forms in PDF's is the major advantage. Or notetaking on the tablet or sketchup of images or photo's. Otherwise it's about the same.
Also, for digital Illustration. Drawing on a tablet is way easier than on a laptop. Apple pencil is probably my favorite apple device in years, although I dislike the company overall.

10-21-2020, 02:09 PM   #77
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Dave here.

6 pages and we are veering off course ................ Ripper
We now have pencils , tablets and mice.
Yes I use pencils on paper but my tablets are way too small to draw on and I have to keep the tablets away from the mice.
I must get a picture of this for the record.
Carry on ......... I'm loving it.

Dave
10-21-2020, 02:18 PM - 5 Likes   #78
Veteran Member

I don't know about the iPhone but my good old Samsung S6 is way better than the K1-ii. I haven't yet managed to make one single decent phone call on my K1-ii despite meticulously studying the manual cover to cover three times.
10-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The pencil. Just being able to sign or fill our forms in PDF's is the major advantage. Or notetaking on the tablet or sketchup of images or photo's. Otherwise it's about the same.
To be fair you can do that on a laptop as well, at least with fillable forms. You can also sign with the mouse. Although not all PDF forms do have that capability.

10-22-2020, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I don't know about the iPhone but my good old Samsung S6 is way better than the K1-ii. I haven't yet managed to make one single decent phone call on my K1-ii despite meticulously studying the manual cover to cover three times.
That's because you're reading the original K-1 manual. It was added as firmware release after publication. Come on pay attention. C4 as I recall:

27: Making phone calls: Enables the microphone to be used to make calls via satellite connection. Requires optional accessory.
10-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #81
Veteran Member

So which laptop would allow digital illustrators to do this? <div style="display: none;" id="ame_noshow_post_1603398297_2">
<a href="" title="You Tube" target="_blank">You Tube</a>
</div>
<div style="display: inline;" id="ame_doshow_post_1603398297_2">
<div align="center">
<table class="tborder" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="425" style="margin:10px 0">
<thead>
<tr>
<td class="tcat" colspan="2" style="text-align:center">
<a href="" target="_blank">You Tube</a>
</td>
</tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td class="panelsurround" align="center">
<iframe width="425" height="350" style="border:0"
src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nlPXM1JmzhI?controls=1" allowfullscreen>
</iframe>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table></div>
</div>An ok Wacom tablet with a screen costs around $700 on it's own, plus the price of the laptop, plus software, plus you're stuck with it at home mostly due to the size.
A lot of illustrators are switching to the ipad pro + apple pencil + procreate combo. Apparently, ios photoshop is not bad either. I worked with some photos on my ipad pro at a hotel when we traveled, pretty doable.
Laptops obviously have their place, but last laptop I purchased was about 5 years ago, and for the past 2 years it's just sitting on the shelf.
10-22-2020, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #82
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
So which laptop would allow digital illustrators to do this?
By the same token, which tablet would support up to 128GB RAM, 2 x nvme m.2 SSDs, 1 x SATA HDD or SDD, 4 x USB3 and almost every other connectivity option natively, with a processor capable of running professional photo, video and cad software at desktop speeds, with a 600 nits 100% AdobeRGB LCD display and built-in colorimeter?

That's excessive, of course, but it's what my current laptop supports.

There's lots of crossover between tablets and laptop PCs, and a wide range of capabilities and limitations across different levels of both device types... but they're essentially different devices with different strengths and weaknesses...

10-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
By the same token, which tablet would support up to 128GB RAM, 2 x nvme m.2 SSDs, 1 x SATA HDD or SDD, 4 x USB3 and almost every other connectivity option natively, with a processor capable of running professional photo, video and cad software at desktop speeds, with a 600 nits 100% AdobeRGB LCD display and built-in colorimeter?

That's excessive, of course, but it's what my current laptop supports.

There's lots of crossover between tablets and laptop PCs, and a wide range of capabilities and limitations across different levels of both device types... but they're essentially different devices with different strengths and weaknesses...
Laptop is dead to me cause:

1. Not upgradable
2. Expensive
3. Actually pretty bulky, especially the high performance models.
4. Most of the laptops get pretty hot (understandable, with so little space for cooling solutions).

Ps: which laptop cpu are you talking about? Vast majority of them are castrated, up to fairly hard to find ryzen 4800u models. Even those are not really on the level with even mid range desktop cpus. Same with gpu's.

Pss: iPad pro screen is also 600 nits, wide color gamut and is 120hz.
10-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't most professional illustrators still use vector apps like Illustrator? The ability to build up an illustration in layers, that can separately be worked on and scaled, offers much more flexibility than pixel based programs.

You can work Illustrator drawings with sensitive, subtle blending and still maintain the scale. Vector illustrations maintain the accuracy, no matter what size. This is a limitation that can easily be seen when iPad work is enlarged.

Personally, I found Illustrator an intuitive program. Yes, it's not like natural drawing, though it can get quite close with some of the brushes and pressure sensitive pens, but it's an immensely powerful program, especially if work is needed to be re-purposed.

An initial investment is needed in time to learn the program (much like Photoshop), which maybe why marketing types love selling the idea that anyone can pick up a tablet and sketch a masterpiece with little practise.
10-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

1. Not upgradable

2. Expensive

4. Most of the laptops get pretty hot (understandable, with so little space for cooling solutions).

Ps: which laptop cpu are you talking about? Vast majority of them are castrated, up to fairly hard to find ryzen 4800u models. Even those are not really on the level with even mid range desktop cpus. Same with gpu's.

Is a laptop really expensive compared to an iPad Pro? Unless it's an Apple laptop of course.

10-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Don't most professional illustrators still use vector apps like Illustrator? The ability to build up an illustration in layers, that can separately be worked on and scaled, offers much more flexibility than pixel based programs.

You can work Illustrator drawings with sensitive, subtle blending and still maintain the scale. Vector illustrations maintain the accuracy, no matter what size. This is a limitation that can easily be seen when iPad work is enlarged.

Personally, I found Illustrator an intuitive program. Yes, it's not like natural drawing, though it can get quite close with some of the brushes and pressure sensitive pens, but it's an immensely powerful program, especially if work is needed to be re-purposed.

An initial investment is needed in time to learn the program (much like Photoshop), which maybe why marketing types love selling the idea that anyone can pick up a tablet and sketch a masterpiece with little practise.
Depends. Some illustrators work in ai, some (digital painting, concept art etc) work in raster (PS or procreate).

I think raster style is more attractive to people that tend to draw on paper and stuff, it's a more natural process. Vector graphics - from what I saw, most of peiple still sketch the drawings out on paper or in ps/procreate, then tracing and perfecting it in AI. Especially for branding work.

A lot of the concept artists actually sketch the base in some sort of 3D package (faster, plus for reference for scale/perspective), then take it to photoshop or whatever raster app to layer on top of it.

Vector graphics are great, but once you have thousands of different elements on the canvas, you start to get slowdowns in AI. Something to do with their poor implementation of the multi core processors I bet.

In the end its preference, plus the project. Some work requires vector graphics (large scale, or branding work). Some is fine with raster.

Procreate actually does a lot of clever things, and is $10. Kind of a steal imo.

---------- Post added 10-22-20 at 05:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Is a laptop really expensive compared to an iPad Pro? Unless it's an Apple laptop of course.
I was talking in terms of the digital Illustration in that case. Laptop plus a Wacom tablet with a screen is more expensive that an iPad pro and Apple pencil.

IPad Pro on its own is probably a bit more expensive than a standard laptop I think.
10-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #87
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

1. Not upgradable
2. Expensive
Not upgradeable in terms of processor, sure... but RAM, SSD, HDD all upgradeable, depending on model. But I understand if they're still dead to you. By comparison, they're my PC of choice for the combination of room-to-room and site-to-site mobility, with near-desktop processing and connectivity. Tablets aren't dead to me, though. I use them for lower-processing-requirement tasks such as web surfing, e-mails and simple documents.

My HP laptop runs an Intel i7-8750H with NVidia Quadro P2000. I don't know or care if it's castrated, I just know that it runs like the wind on anything you could throw at it, and the fact that a desktop is faster is meaningless to me, since I can't pick it up with one hand, dump it in a bag and carry it to another room or building. If you can point me towards a tablet that gives me the same processing power, same flexibility and expandability of storage options (all accessible via a slide panel with no screws), wide-ranging native connectivity, 100% AdobeRGB LCD display, then I'll buy one. Until then, I'm going to have to stick with the laptop form factor

Awesome
10-22-2020, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #88
Veteran Member

20 year olds almost don't know anything.... probably won't leave home until 40.....
10-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Not upgradeable in terms of processor, sure... but RAM, SSD, HDD all upgradeable, depending on model. But I understand if they're still dead to you. By comparison, they're my PC of choice for the combination of room-to-room and site-to-site mobility, with near-desktop processing and connectivity. Tablets aren't dead to me, though. I use them for lower-processing-requirement tasks such as web surfing, e-mails and simple documents.

My HP laptop runs an Intel i7-8750H with NVidia Quadro P2000. I don't know or care if it's castrated, I just know that it runs like the wind on anything you could throw at it, and the fact that a desktop is faster is meaningless to me, since I can't pick it up with one hand, dump it in a bag and carry it to another room or building. If you can point me towards a tablet that gives me the same processing power, same flexibility and expandability of storage options (all accessible via a slide panel with no screws), wide-ranging native connectivity, 100% AdobeRGB LCD display, then I'll buy one. Until then, I'm going to have to stick with the laptop form factor

Awesome
I think most of that performance is coming from the p2000. Your pro apps are probably utilizing that a ton.

In terms of an i7 in a tablet - Microsoft Surface had i7 models.

The cpu comment was a reply to your comment stating the "desktop performance". If it works for you, that's great and no change is needed. But there's always something more powerful.

I don't mean to say that you have to follow what I'm doing with my platforms, it's like suggesting that the music I listen to is what you should be listening to - i.e pointless and dumb. I was simply sharing my experience with laptops.

Most of my hate from laptops comes from being stuck with an Uber expensive MacBook pro for work, and just not getting the performance I need out of it.
10-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #90
PDL
Pentaxian

I have been able to sign off on PDF's since 2005 using a stylus. (All Microsoft based PC's, Toshiba Tablet PC's, a Asus Windows Tablet (HB-121) and now a Lenovo) The Asus tablet and the Lenovo have touch screens too (Wacom). My desktop has a Wacom graphics tablet with touch capabilities.