Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 200 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #301
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
A lot of modes on cameras and phones are there for reviews and spec sheets more than massive increase in sales. It's fairly straightforward and simple to do, so why not? What percentage of Pentaxians bought their camera because it has Astrotracer and pixel shift? That has to be pretty small. But the IBIS mechanism that enables them were already there, so they gave the camera some new features to list.

Apple already had the raw data in the camera in some form, so it was probably pretty simple to dump that to a RAW file and then tell the small niche of hard core photographers it's a cool feature they can use.
Probably. I'm sure plenty of sales happen just to say you have the "best" of something while you'll never use the features.

Funny how IBIS is everywhere now when for years Canikon users panned it for not being as good as VR in the lens. Then Olympus came along and used them both. Now they've all copied that model. I'm surprised Canikon hasn't used pixel shift yet, I'm sure it'll appear at some point.

12-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I'm surprised Canikon hasn't used pixel shift yet, I'm sure it'll appear at some point.
There are strong rumours that a high MP Canon will be released in 2021 that has PS,they have caught up on most other features so it'll be interesting when it happens.
12-22-2020, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
There are strong rumours that a high MP Canon will be released in 2021 that has PS,they have caught up on most other features so it'll be interesting when it happens.
150 megapixel images that are 250mb in size lol. 4 shots per GB!

Someone needs to copy the live bulb and live composite modes Olympus pioneered. Live composite is awesome for lightning. Live bulb is just cool to watch long exposures come to life in real time, it's like being in a darkroom minus the chemicals. It also makes long exposures stone simple to get right on the first try.
12-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #304
Pentaxian

150 megapixel images
The rumours are talking double that,but wait and see.

The Fuji 400mp files are over 2gbs!

12-22-2020, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #305
Veteran Member

The rumours are talking double that,but wait and see.

The Fuji 400mp files are over 2gbs!
16 shots per 32GB card. My god. Extra cooling for the PC and go brew a pot of coffee while the file loads. You can probably see the future with 400 megapixels.
12-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #306
Pentaxian

You can probably see the future with 400 megapixels.
Some people want to print the moon!...or moonsize?
12-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #307
Veteran Member

Some people want to print the moon!...or moonsize?
Lifesize moon prints?

12-22-2020, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #308
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Apple already had the raw data in the camera in some form, so it was probably pretty simple to dump that to a RAW file and then tell the small niche of hard core photographers it's a cool feature they can use.
I have a little Canon PowerShot A1200 from 2011. From the factory, it only offered JPEG (like every other consumer compact), but there's a freeware firmware enhancement available called the CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit) that, amongst many other cool features, allows you to capture raw files with the A1200 and a plethora of other Canon PowerShot models. As a compact camera - and of its era - the A1200 is a decent little camera hamstrung by its JPEGs. Shoot raw with it, though, and it's quite amazing what you can get from the files.

Being able to shoot raw with a phone cam is almost - not quite, but almost - enough to make me want one as my "best camera is the one you have with you" backup... but not at the price. I'm sure it's justified, but I have a mental limit of around GBP £200 for any phone
12-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I have a little Canon PowerShot A1200 from 2011. From the factory, it only offered JPEG (like every other consumer compact), but there's a freeware firmware enhancement available called the CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit) that, amongst many other cool features, allows you to capture raw files with the A1200 and a plethora of other Canon PowerShot models. As a compact camera - and of its era - the A1200 is a decent little camera hamstrung by its JPEGs. Shoot raw with it, though, and it's quite amazing what you can get from the files.

Being able to shoot raw with a phone cam is almost - not quite, but almost - enough to make me want one as my "best camera is the one you have with you" backup... but not at the price. I'm sure it's justified, but I have a mental limit of around GBP £200 for any phone
Do you have deals on phones like we do in the states? No way I'd pay $1199 for one. It actually cost me $400/@300 pounds after trade/promotion from an older Iphone, which they game me more than it's original MSRP for despite me also paying a fraction of that cost due to playing the promotion/rebate game at that time as well. As I typically keep them 3-4 years then do the promotion game again the 100 a year-ish price seemed reasonable for a cutting edge phone.
12-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #310
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the colour depth on an iPhone?
12-22-2020, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #311
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Depends how long it stays in the spray booth during manufacture ?..

Not what you want to know is it

Merry Christmas
12-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What is the colour depth on an iPhone?
I think it's 12 bit RAW and 8 Bit for the JPEG./HEIC files. Not as good as the 14 bit we get on most DSLR/Mirrorless.

Any raw file scenes you'd like to play around with Norm? I'm heading up north tomorrow to upper Michigan to see family. (3 covid tests later and total isolation this month!). It'll be interesting to see how it does with the bright highlights and shadows with some snow.

Despite my location being Alabama I'm from far up in the Northeast, so most of your pictures remind me of where I grew up. And half my families Canadian around the Ottawa area (they all grew up in Quebec) and wayout west in Saskatchewan. Needless to say I do miss the snow a bit.
12-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #313
Pentaxian

RAW files are already accessible on camera phones via LR.
12-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #314
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have deals on phones like we do in the states? No way I'd pay $1199 for one. It actually cost me $400/@300 pounds after trade/promotion from an older Iphone, which they game me more than it's original MSRP for despite me also paying a fraction of that cost due to playing the promotion/rebate game at that time as well. As I typically keep them 3-4 years then do the promotion game again the 100 a year-ish price seemed reasonable for a cutting edge phone.
We certainly don't get deals like that, I think... plus, of course, you need that older, half-decent device to trade in. The iPhone 12 Pro 128GB version is GBP £999 here (£1,099 for the 256GB, £1,299 for 512GB), with up to £280 trade-in depending on the device. Even with the best possible trade-in, that's GBP £719. Welcome to the UK

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to mobile phones... my current one is last was (strike-out explanation to follow ) a Blu Vivo 5R for which I paid GBP £109 in mid 2017. It has been a good phone with a basic, adequate daytime JPEG-only, single focal length camera. I dropped it onto a kerb, then gravel, in the first few weeks of ownership, leaving a big chip out of one corner of the screen and case. At £109, I didn't care... but if I'd paid four, five, six... maybe ten times that, I'd have been incandescent

All this talk of the iPhone has had me thinking, though, that I really could use something much better than my less-than-modest Blu Vivo 5R... so I just ordered a new phone, heavily discounted on Amazon UK Cheapskate-mode still enabled, I've ordered a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro 6GB / 128GB at a whopping (wait for it, wait for it)... GBP £189 The specs are quite amazing for such an inexpensive device, the reviews generally excellent, and the camera seems to do an awfully good job (considering the price) with 64MP Samsung G2 (?) main sensor (16MP with 4x pixel binning for better DR), plus ultra-wide / macro / "selfie" lenses and sensors - and native raw capture Night mode isn't spectacular, apparently, but "OK" (not bad at the price-point)... sufficient for my needs, that's for sure. Oh, and it has a huge 5,020mAh battery... which I guess is some payback for its gargantuan dimensions

I couldn't trade in my 3.5 year old cheap Blu phone, of course (LOL ), but I'll put a new pay-as-you-go SIM in it and chuck it in my car's glove box for emergencies...

I don't expect this Xiaomi will come even close to the iPhone 12 Pro, but that's not the point... It'll scratch my itch for a "best camera is the one you have with you" phone cam... and if when I drop it, I won't be too concerned

You share some responsibility here for me wanting a new phone, Lee, so it better be half-decent...

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
RAW files are already accessible on camera phones via LR.
Just remind me... how much is LR subscription per month?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-22-2020 at 05:08 PM.
12-22-2020, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
All this talk of the iPhone has had me thinking, though, that I could use something much better than my less-than-modest Blu Vivo 5R... so I just ordered a new phone Cheapskate-mode still enabled, I've ordered a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro 6GB / 128GB at a whopping (wait for it, wait for it)... GBP £189 The specs are quite amazing for such an inexpensive device, the reviews generally excellent, and the camera seems to do an awfully good job (considering the price) with 64MP Samsung G2 (?) main sensor (16MP with 4x pixel binning for better DR), plus ultra-wide / macro / "selfie" lenses and sensors. Night mode isn't brilliant, but OK... sufficient for my needs, that's for sure. Oh, and it has a huge 5,020mAh battery... which I guess is some payback for its gargantuan dimensions
The Xiaomis have ridiculously good spec sheets - my family has several generations of the Redmi Note* (I think now it's 5 6 and 7?) because their carrier has discounts on them fairly often... I think they've been paying about 130-150€ a piece, give or take. Most of my friends also have Xiaomi mid-ranges, like the Mi 9T or so; they run you about 300€ but the specs are very good. Everyone seems to be very happy with them, with the only "but" being a spotty data signal in rural areas (hardly a Xiaomi exclusive where I'm from, unfortunately).

I might get one once my Nokia 7.1 croaks, if they have something that is smaller than a surfboard by then... anything over 6" is preposterous IMO .

*Not the Pro, but it's not a huge difference I think?.