Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Winter Blues

Since the winter months carry with them so many more shadows & the snowy months cast a lot of blue tinges!

My thoughts were The Blues of Winter lights & shadows of the season!

11-01-2020, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My part of the world can get a bit cold in the winter, and Ottawa can see a total of 200-400 cm (80-160 inches) of snowfall between November and April.

I look forward to getting out during winter, and can manage photography down to about minus 20 C (-4F).

Some of the things that I'm thinking about as subjects for this coming winter:
  • The first, fresh snowfall
  • Deep shadows of trees against clean snow in the late afternoon
  • Stands of aspen or birch trees
  • Coniferous trees blanketed with a heavy snowfall
  • Ice along the river
  • Downtown streets after a fresh snowfall (They say Montreal -- two hour drive from Ottawa -- is a gorgeous city during a snowstorm. Not sure I'll get there this year.)

Other activities on the list for the deep, dark days of winter:
  • Further develop my knowledge and skill with Affinity Photo. I'm working my way through the 500-page Affinity Photo Workbook.
  • Refine my processing of some older images
  • Develop skill with a pen tablet (on my Christmas wish list)
  • Work on a photo book
  • Recondition several film cameras at my camera repair bench (first-series K1000, Minolta XD-7, Spotmatic, Olympus PEN-EE)
- Craig
11-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Actually as a person who enjoys bird and nature photography fall and winter present a host of new opportunities. True many colorful birds such as Indigo Buntings, Scarlet Tanagers, Hummingbirds are gone and the Goldfinches have molted their colorful plumage. Other colorful birds, however, such as Cardinals, Bluebirds woodpeckers and Blue Jays are still around and still colorful, especially so against the bare open or snow covered background. I also visit nearby Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge where wintering ducks with the males in their most colorful plumage and wintering snow geese and Tundra swans gather for the winter. Photography is better now than in summer where much is hidden behind thick greenery. Also the chill of winter is more than offset by the absence of mosquitoes, biting flies and ticks.
My suggestion is get out and explore, there is much to see.
11-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #19
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I will be looking forward to seeing more snowflake photography this winter season. I don't have the setup (or patience) for doing such intricate work, but I certainly do enjoy the end results.

11-01-2020, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #20

I may do some macro work and "paint with light" and long exposure!
11-01-2020, 01:15 PM - 4 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was thinking of exploring how to do more indoors on the fly (I don't really have a space I can set up a mini-studio) and ran across an idea I now want to try.

Take a piece of glass or clear plastic as elevate it over something (a bowl of M&M's or abstract art in the examples I saw). Sprinkle water droplets over the glass and focus on the droplets to take the photos. The effect is similar to using the glass spheres with a defocused background.

Another trick I like as Christmas approaches and decorations go up is to do a zoom pull during long exposures of lighting decor. That's what I did with this photo, which was an outline of a present box.
Attached Images

11-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
A beach in the winter can be a good place to be for photography. (OK, not so many of them in the mountains). Our local beaches have lots of overwintering birds, you can have a play with ICM on the interface between beach and water and breakwaters are good when the waves are up.

11-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I was thinking of exploring how to do more indoors on the fly (I don't really have a space I can set up a mini-studio) and ran across an idea I now want to try.

Take a piece of glass or clear plastic as elevate it over something (a bowl of M&M's or abstract art in the examples I saw). Sprinkle water droplets over the glass and focus on the droplets to take the photos. The effect is similar to using the glass spheres with a defocused background.

Another trick I like as Christmas approaches and decorations go up is to do a zoom pull during long exposures of lighting decor. That's what I did with this photo, which was an outline of a present box.
Nicely done!
11-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Nicely done!
Thank you!
11-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #25
PDL
Pentaxian

Wish to the powers that be (Curse Covid) and the money gods that I was in New Zealand, where it is Spring.

All that Mac's Black and I am stuck here. (Speight's too) Now don't get wrong, we have plenty o'Beer in the PNW - but it's not Spring and not Christchurch, Arrow Town, Queenstown etc. etc.
11-05-2020, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Alright! I've got a few days off, so I downloaded all the responses and will look over them!! I thought of something myself, how about macro of frost on the car windshield, or when it freezes VERY cold the dog's water dish makes really cool patterns on the surface, more for macro! Thanks for the responses and send more!!
11-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Winter can be great for some unique landscapes. Not only do you get snow covered areas for nice geometric forms, but the golden hour is at a much more reasonable time in the evening.
11-05-2020, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote

Cool! Has a very Sci-Fi look to it.
11-05-2020, 10:51 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think fog. In town or out.
11-06-2020, 02:08 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Winter can be great for some unique landscapes. Not only do you get snow covered areas for nice geometric forms, but the golden hour is at a much more reasonable time in the evening.
Seems a little too early to me. Whatever I can do for a short period after work. Now we also get a second lock - down season... It's our (photo) time..