Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Winter Inspiration Ideas

Now that the leaves are down, the insects and spiders are gone, and the colorful birds have migrated or grown winter plumage, I was wondering what everyone does in the winter for inspiration?? Snow is unreliable for me, and I don’t get to stay home if it does snow, so that is a toss up. Any ideas or suggestions?

10-31-2020, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Unregistered User

I start taking pictures of leafless trees and shrubs. There are so many forms in trees and shrubs that you do not see when all the leaves are blocking your vision.
10-31-2020, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You don't have to get up at 4am for pre-dawn light, or stay out past 9pm for evening blue hour and golden hour lasts a lot more than 60 minutes. The weather changes more in winter and that changeable light as storms arrive or clear is endlessly fascinating. You do need to dress warm and dry for it, but the possibilities are legion, especially somewhere like the Smokies! My problem is I can't just drop everything and shoot, but I do especially enjoy watching the changing evening sky colours in winter.
10-31-2020, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

My outdoor photography falls off a cliff in winter. Lots of beautiful stuff around here with all the Rocky Mountains within just a few hours drive but we endure weeks and weeks of -20C to -30C and while the cameras will work, this photographer begins to fail. Try as I might, I fail to find beauty in the dead brown winter world. The snow can be beautiful but I would need to take up snowshoeing or snowmobiling to really do what I want as a lot of the roads are closed and impassable in the winter. It's just not going to happen. So in the winter I tend to work on mastering artificial lighting and be that annoying guy who shows up with a camera at all the school, church, family, sports, and other community events. Most of that will be restricted or non-existent this winter due to covid so probably just a lot more around the house.

10-31-2020, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in Wisconsin and my goal is to go out on the ice at some point for steel wool photography. Light painting in general can be serene as it reflects off the snow.

If I still lived down south where 3 snowflakes shut the entire state down, I don't know what I'd do for photography. It was always so drab.
10-31-2020, 05:45 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post process all the files you have sitting on your hard drive(s).
10-31-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Post processing is something I really need to learn to properly do. I save both RAW and JPG when I shoot and generally just share the JPGs straight from the camera with some resizing done to make them small enough to send.

10-31-2020, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
That's my plan. Took a 15 day road trip in Sept. out to Moab, Utah, area. Snapped about 1500 shots and have barely looked at them. Probably add more to that because fall colors are just now reaching peak here in the southern Ozarks.
10-31-2020, 08:33 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find winter is a good time for dusting off and cranking up my macro studio.
10-31-2020, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bad weather makes good pictures! Get outside and try to capture rain , snow, ice, storms, etc

Winter light creates long shadowns and high contrast.

If cold weather is a deterrent, stay inside and really learn your camera (RTFM!) and other gear, or take on a new skill or a new style .

Go through old photos and self critique, culling technically poor images often reminds me of what I need to improve upon.

Join some PF groups or challenges, commiting to a daily In challenge gives me impetus to find something, anything to photograph each day.

Plan out a photojournal project, consider the elements and scenes you want to present, in what order

Try composing a still life of related objects
10-31-2020, 09:15 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Black and white high contrast shots of skeletal trees, buildings, people...
10-31-2020, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
That’s what I thought. I have files sitting on the drives for months (at least...)
11-01-2020, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for macro work taking priority as well as bad weather makes great photos ( if you are determined enough to try )
Good luck
11-01-2020, 03:04 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Winter's great ! The few people that are around wear funny clothes and go funny colours !!
11-01-2020, 05:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a lot of problems with my fingers in the winter cold so winter photography has always been difficult for me. One exercise I try to do when I do get out for some shooting is to think of grey and brown as the colors I'm trying to capture and train myself to find variations, patterns and textures within these colors.