Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2020, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mike Johnston is, by far, the most literate and knowledgeable writer about photography I've encountered online. He has decades of experience in writing and publishing about photography, and he has never pretended to be a photographer of any special ability so much as a chronicler of the field. What I like is his grasp of the pleasures and challenges of photography, whether it's with an old film Leica (check out his post on One Camera, One Lens, One Year -- and then its digital variant) or a top of the line D850 or Fuji mirrorless.

It was Johnston's brief flirtation with Pentax that brought me to the K20D (and later the K-7, K-5 and KP) quite a few years ago, and though he stopped shooting with Pentax gear he understands the attraction.

11-04-2020, 03:44 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I am curious to see what blogs people here read. I never followed many, and a few of the ones I follow have become just vent outlets (sometimes for nothing about photography at all) so I'm ready to check out what is interesting out there...
I subscribe to the Digital Photography School, and receive a weekly email with tips about photography, post-processing, new cameras, lenses and gear, and I find it very useful indeed! They also have monthly competitions and ideas and suggestions for creative photography. A great source of free and up-to-date info about photography in general. I thoroughly recommend it!
11-04-2020, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

There are none that I follow regularly.

Despite the huge (and sometimes justified) criticism that Tony & Chelsea Northrup receive here and on other forums, I enjoy watching their videos every now and then. I like Tony's presenting style, and I'm not the type to be triggered by mild click-bait, brand biases or occasional misinformation. I'm not so keen on their photo reviews, but the industry, equipment and technique-related stuff can be fairly entertaining and informative, if somewhat opinionated (an opinionated vlogger?! who'da thunk it )...
11-04-2020, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
I subscribe to the Digital Photography School, and receive a weekly email with tips about photography, post-processing, new cameras, lenses and gear, and I find it very useful indeed! They also have monthly competitions and ideas and suggestions for creative photography. A great source of free and up-to-date info about photography in general. I thoroughly recommend it!
Interesting; I'll have to look into this.

11-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
B&H Photo regularly posts a lot of excellent, informative articles!
B&H have a great section on their website "Explora" that is great!
11-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
B&H have a great section on their website "Explora" that is great!
B&H also does a pretty good podcast. I occasionally listen to it at night on my bed-side radio, as I'm falling asleep. Sadly, I don't typically make it to the end of an episode
11-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #22
Forum Member

I always look at The Online Photographer. It's not about pixel peeping and tech specs, I get fed up with that stuff.

11-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I read photographylife and lenstip, mainly for lens reviews. I also read dpreview, which is sort of a blog.
11-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Lately I've been reading and been really inspired by the writings of David Du Chemin 's blog.
11-25-2020, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll second Fenwoodian's suggestion of Phillip Reeve's site phillipreeve.net - Manual Lenses | Sony Alpha which covers manual lenses for Sony, of course the lenses work just fine on other brands as well. Plenty of well-considered tests and comparisons, worth looking at just for the pictures.

Also, Thom Hogan's Welcome to DSLR Bodies | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan various sites which have a lot of general information, opinion and prognostication.

Ming Thein's Ming Thein | Photographer blog has a lot of philosophy of photography plus some gorgeous pictures.
11-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like 35mmc.com and casualphotophile.com, for film stuff.
11-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I like 35mmc.com and casualphotophile.com, for film stuff.
I read those sometimes... especially 35mmc, I really enjoy that site. casualphotophile seems to be in a transition to being for "digital photographers with an analog heart" or something... which is ok by me
11-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also emulsive.org for film.
11-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #29

Not much on blogs but I am active on twitter, I prefer the interaction there.
12-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing I like about TOP is the way comments are curated and then added into the posts... it gives a nice bridge between forums and blogging.