Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2020, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Maybe he forgot to include the camera?
All his other prices are also way out of whack too and he has 6568 sales to his credit?
When you look at this shop's feedback it's all over a year old, and it's all for over the counter meds; vitamin B12 etc.

I didn't look at everything they had for sale now, but everything is overpriced. I don't think they actually want to sell anything, but I do not know why. I suspect they do not actually have any of these items in stock, and that all their photos are 'borrowed' from elsewhere.

11-14-2020, 05:30 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if this is overpriced, but it's certainly a crazy price for a camera lens. Though, the reviews are almost worth the price. Lol

amazon.com : Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 APO EX DG Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
11-18-2020, 04:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photomast mk2 10 metre Monopod. Never used | eBay

Somewhat unusual, I feel
11-19-2020, 04:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tele Adaptor for AF280T Flash Unit - £48!

Most AF280T flash units themselves go for significantly less than that.

As it happens I got one of these (a simple clip-on thing) from Ebay for £1.50 plus reasonable postage very recently (second pic is my screenshot). Mine was used, but mint and with case; people tend to buy these things but rarely/never use them and they don't wear out. If this one is new, the box had a rough time in that warehouse, and he doesn't show the instruction sheet that new ones came with, to help convince us.

I think we have featured this seller, Dotti, in the "Worst of Ebay etc" thread before. Perhaps this thread should have been called "Dotty Prices" rather than "Crazy Prices"

Pentax Tele-Converter Aft 1 For Flash af-280 Remainder Of Warehouse New | eBay

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 11-19-2020 at 08:53 AM.
11-21-2020, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Of course it’s just to get around paying EBay part of their fee but I’ve heard people justify it as “you are paying for my time and effort to go to the post office.”

No I’m not. I’m paying for a lens, reasonable shipping and applicable taxes. Walmart doesn’t get to triple the shipping fee for their time and effort. It’s built into the price of the item. Although I’m not losing sleep about eBays lost fees but I try to avoid those sellers. Shady.
Ebay updated its structure a while back- the shipping price is now considered no different from the sale price and ebay's fees are leveraged on the total out-the-door, as are the sales taxes for unfortunate people like us here in Colorado. Yep- we have to pay sales tax on shipping costs for large, heavy items. This structure has really hurt the musical instrument market on Ebay, but it was necessary because of the shipping/price abuse.
11-21-2020, 05:01 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Ebay updated its structure a while back- the shipping price is now considered no different from the sale price and ebay's fees are leveraged on the total out-the-door
That's how I understand it. Nevetheless many Ebay sellers shift an unreasonable amount of the price onto the postage, reducing the ticket price, apparently in the hope that potential buyers will only look at the ticket price. Outside of Ebay, It annoys me that many on-line merchants do not reveal their postage charge until you are actually paying at the "checkout"; at least I assume they do that because I never go that far with those sites, as I won't buy from merchants who are not up fron with their postal charge. Other merchants do allow you to see postage charges, but they are buried in the small print on some other page among stuff like their "Job Opportunities" and "Environmental Policy".
11-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #22

What if find annoying on eBay US are items listed with "free shipping" when all they are doing is adding the shipping cost into the item price. This is particularly deceitful because the buyer then gets taxed for the shipping. Shipping is non-taxable. You'll see something $15.99 free shipping and the same item often from the same seller for $7.99 + $8.00 shipping. If you pay for the shipping you'll only pay tax on $7.99.

11-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Outside of Ebay, It annoys me that many on-line merchants do not reveal their postage charge until you are actually paying at the "checkout"; at least I assume they do that because I never go that far with those sites, as I won't buy from merchants who are not up fron with their postal charge.
Often times postage is variable based on where it's shipped from/to, so they can't really be super up front about the charge. It's just easier to want until the end where you have to enter your address anyway and calculate it all in a single step. If they charge a flat advertised shipping rate, then you may be overcharged for shipping to make up for the losses when shipping longer distances or simply to pad their profit margins. For those reasons, I don't mind waiting until checkout to calculate exact shipping.
11-21-2020, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
" It annoys me that many on-line merchants do not reveal their postage charge until you are actually paying at the "checkout"; at least I assume they do that because I never go that far with those sites, as I won't buy from merchants who are not up fron with their postal charge"

Yes! If I have to enter all my personal information and get 1 step from submitting to get a shipping charge, that is a huge no go.
11-22-2020, 02:48 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Often times postage is variable based on where it's shipped from/to, so they can't really be super up front about the charge.
I can see the difficulty, but I'm in the UK where the national Post Office has a flat rate for any internal distance (a tradition that originated with the "Penny Post"), and fairly large increments between parcel weights and sizes. It is true that the merchant cannot always know what your order will come to in terms of size and weight, so they often tell you their scale like "£5 for up to 1kg, £10 for 1-10Kg" etc. Of course, at time of ordering you cannot be sure what size and weight your purchase will be, although you can be sure a USB lead will be under 1kg, but at least the merchant is being as open as possible.
11-22-2020, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

What I find annoying is eBay buyers moaning at me when I sell stuff about shipping costs. I dont load the cost and only charge what the Post Office is charging me plus the packing material needed. I always ship in a proper box with brand new bubble wrap or jiffy bags and these things cost. Buyers often seem to imagine that the packing is free...possibly because so many sellers just bung the good in whatever they have to hand. Very valuable lens....just stuff in in some used diapers and wrap string round it...it will be fine for sure.

I used to sell clothing and shoes and the amount of moaning about postage used to drive me mad. I generally used to respond with ‘next time I will just write your address onto the dress with a marker pen and hand it to a passing tramp to deliver for you’
11-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I used to be employed by the Post Office. One day a lady came in with a rectangular package, abot 12" by 15", with a single sheet of brown ppaper over it. She instructed me that it had to be handled carefully. I enquired what was in it - she replied 'A mirror'. Not feeling up to the Herculean task of explaining, I called the Postmaster, who took her into his offfice to talk with her. She emerged several minues later, glared at me and said she was going 'To a proper Post Office'. The Postmaster spoke with me later - he had had no luck in persuading her that it was her responsibility to pack items securely and safely, with appropriate protection, and gave it up as a lost cause.
11-22-2020, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

I’m always amazed about Christmas time when I go to the post office to ship a package and I see people show up with just an unpacked item like a lamp. I guess there’s nothing inherently wrong since I’m sure you can buy a box and packing material there, it’s just that it seems kind of disorganized to not have the wherewithal to be able to pack your own stuff. Please don’t take offense if there are any unpacked lamp or mirror shippers on here
11-25-2020, 03:06 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
[....... Drum Roll .......] The £249.95 Lens Hood

rare early Auto Takumar pentax 49mm screw in lens hood for 83mm 1.9 series 7 | eBay

11-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The £2990 Broken MV
QuoteQuote:
All working as it should, except it is missing the rewind mechanism
The price can't be explained by a missing decimal point - it's there, they are serious. So I'm trying to recall what stellar features the MV has. Good of them to throw in the strap though.

I would offer him £0.99 if I thought I could sell it for £10, but no.

Pentax MV 35mm SLR Film Camera Body only - with Ricoh strap* | eBay