Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ewww.

Just... Ewwww.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/smeg-the-three-pointed-island-dol...RHxDgozMpVX50I

12-10-2020, 02:51 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Link not viewable in the UK - any chance of an embedded view, please ?
12-10-2020, 06:51 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Link not viewable in the UK - any chance of an embedded view, please ?
That's odd, but no problem. Screenshot to the rescue!
Attached Images

12-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Thanks - I think. Glad I asked ...

12-10-2020, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Thanks - I think. Glad I asked ...
Careful what you wish for? Lol
12-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I think this may well qualify :

Asahi Pentax SP500 Camera Very Rare Bundle, Lens, Filters, Case, User Guide. VGC | eBay
12-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Do you want to start a discussion about value, price, demand, ethics of selling? What makes an item overpriced? eBay is an auction house, face it.
I think I would have less of an issue if these prices were happening in auctions... where folks were bidding the prices up that much.

But these aren't. They're opportunists. Not illegal, but annoying...

I have seen people advertise an item they didn't have at a price high enough for them to go get one and send it on... also slimy...

-Eric

12-12-2020, 02:43 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I have seen people advertise an item they didn't have at a price high enough for them to go get one and send it on... also slimy...
My wife's boss did that all the time, he supplied plastic containers wholesale; he sold stuff even before he knew where he was going to get it from or even if it existed. Bill Gates also did it when he sold DOS to IBM - he bought it from Seattle Computer Products.
12-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This sold for how much ??

PENTAX AF280T Flash, hot shoe grip, 4P sync cables and more | eBay

12-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Of course it’s just to get around paying EBay part of their fee but I’ve heard people justify it as “you are paying for my time and effort to go to the post office.”

No I’m not. I’m paying for a lens, reasonable shipping and applicable taxes. Walmart doesn’t get to triple the shipping fee for their time and effort. It’s built into the price of the item. Although I’m not losing sleep about eBays lost fees but I try to avoid those sellers. Shady.
Once upon a time, that worked. Ebay now charges their 10% on Item Price + Shipping anyway. Still, I prefer eBay to Amazon. Amazon pushed hard for legislation for the collection of sales tax for online sales. eBay fought against it.
01-08-2021, 06:29 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
AF280T Manual

For £19 even without the postage.

Recently I bought an actual AF280T in mint condition, together with a set of extension tubes, for £10. And the AF280T came with its manual.

This guy gets some interesting negative feedback, including from someone who expected to receive an item and only got a picture of it! And then he is sparky in his response to the negative feedback, like "Buyer has reading issues". Some way to treat customers.

1980s PENTAX AF 280T ELECTRONIC CAMERA FLASH INSTRUCTION MANUAL for PENTAX 35mm | eBay

---------- Post added 08-01-21 at 07:17 ----------

Retrogadgets-uk

Some daft prices from this dealer.

A mid-power hammerhead Sunpak for almost £100. It's been on Ebay for quite a while now. They cost less than that when new and typically sell for around £20-25 on Ebay today. In fact I got a better one than this for £12 a few months ago.

Sunpak Auto Zoom Thyristor 3600 Handle Camera Flash with Manual 812811001059 | eBay

Then a used 2Gb SD card for almost £60. I looked for comparable prices new, and it looks like they don't even make them that small any more, although I found 32Gb ones for about £10. I first bought an SD card in 2008 for my K10-D, and even that was 4Gb.

SanDisk 2GB/15MB Ultra SD Secure Digital Card (SDSDH-002G-E11) 619659018740 | eBay

01-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #42
Pentaxian

From what I understand, SD cards (not SDHC) are indeed no longer made, and some cameras can only handle up to 2 GB without a firmware upgrade - for which you need a 2GB SD card ! Still way overpriced, but there may still be a niche market.
02-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #43

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The same "imagination inflation" occurs at thrift stores as well. Sometimes I wonder if they googled ebay and found listings with crazy over pricing and 'assume" that's what they should get for their worn out and partially functioning donated pieces and parts.
02-11-2021, 04:19 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
The same "imagination inflation" occurs at thrift stores as well. Sometimes I wonder if they googled ebay and found listings with crazy over pricing and 'assume" that's what they should get for their worn out and partially functioning donated pieces and parts.
As a record collector, I have often tried to 'advise' people in what are known in the UK as 'charity shops' when records are over priced, no matter what condition the vinyl or sleeve is in. Frequently they produce a tattered copy of Record Collector Magazine's 'Rare Record Guide' and show me the entry on which they have based their price. In turn, I show them the table at the back where the grades of records and sleeves are listed, showing that the value plummets when the record is not 'mint' (not minty, please - most records taste purely of petroleum derivatives) - and they are often grateful for the advice, sometimes even keeping records back so I can suggest a price.

Every so often, though, a real gem will turn up - for which I will offer the appropriate price, maybe 10% less than I would pay in a record shop (such things do still exist in Norwich !).

FWIW, the record which seems to be overpriced most often is DSOTM, each shop being convinced that it is a first pressing. eBay has come up with some goodies recently, however, (to try to return to the original theme), but I have no compunction about paying below market price to someone who should have done some research before listing their items.
03-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a saved search running for the "Press Van" camera -- it's a really slick and quite unusual folder that uses an Asahi Takumar 75mm f3.5 lens.
It can also shoot either 645/6x6 on 120 or 6x6/35mm, depending on which version you get...

This one is so popular I've had three separate listings for it show up in my search results:
Press Van Asahi Kogaku Takumar 75Mm 3.5 | eBay

That one is the cheapest, at $211 for a fairly rusty camera... they go up to $279... all from Japan, all separate sellers... and one claims it's in EX++ condition (what?!)

And I can't find the listing, but there used to be a seller in Austria with one (for close to $500) that may have had the same images...

-Eric