Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2020, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #1

Who are the photographers on youtube using Pentax?

Hello,

I have been looking on youtube for any photographer's channels that shoot with Pentax.

To say that Pentax isn't well represented, is not an understatement. So perhaps its time to create thread of who shoots with Pentax.

For reviews, the Cameraville channel is the only one still doing reliable product comparisons.

Virtually all other popular product reviewers have given up on Pentax. The Snap Chick, Matt Grainger, Tony Chelsea Northrup, and some afro who knows photos, who berates or mocks Pentax every chance he gets.

For a Photography channel using Pentax, all I found was Matt Bishop,

Is that it, or does the community know of any other channels shooting with Pentax?

11-15-2020, 02:42 AM - 4 Likes   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by midnightvisions Quote
Hello,

I have been looking on youtube for any photographer's channels that shoot with Pentax.

To say that Pentax isn't well represented, is not an understatement. So perhaps its time to create thread of who shoots with Pentax.

For reviews, the Cameraville channel is the only one still doing reliable product comparisons.

Virtually all other popular product reviewers have given up on Pentax. The Snap Chick, Matt Grainger, Tony Chelsea Northrup, and some afro who knows photos, who berates or mocks Pentax every chance he gets.

For a Photography channel using Pentax, all I found was Matt Bishop,

Is that it, or does the community know of any other channels shooting with Pentax?
Here are some channels with Pentax users I follow:

Kobie Mercury-Clarke - YouTube
snappiness - YouTube
Simon Booth - YouTube
11-15-2020, 04:49 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
leehaze1 - YouTube
Simon's utak - YouTube brilliant vids on manual lenses
Matt Bishop - YouTube
And this guy loves Pentax
11-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #4

This is a great question. How do I bookmark this thread?

11-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Don´t forget Kobie Mercury-Clarke.

---------- Post added 15-11-20 at 18:26 ----------

And John J. Bloomfield:

11-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Ewan Dunsmuir
11-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been following Catherine Gregory - YouTube. Not really a photography channel, more about exploring and backpacking some of the most beautiful places in the Western US. She is a published free lance professional photographer known for photographing surfers, turned mountain backpacker, and captures some of the most amazing backcountry images and video.

Edited: Just realized this thread was about Pentax youtubers. She shoots with Sony. My apologies.

Last edited by DWS1; 11-15-2020 at 06:28 PM.
11-15-2020, 08:10 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this is problematic, Midnight Visions.

A YouTuber survives by having many thousands of hits. They hope to become so popular that they get freebies, money or even a sponsorship from a brand.

So, you would never do that with a niche brand that maybe has 2 percent of the market, it doesn't make sense. The Cameraville Guy discovered that.

So, our objectives as photography lovers and lovers of the Pentax brand runs counter with a vlogger, who *must* go mainstream.
11-15-2020, 09:27 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thomas Shahan - YouTube

11-16-2020, 02:21 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

A YouTuber survives by having many thousands of hits. They hope to become so popular that they get freebies, money or even a sponsorship from a brand.

So, you would never do that with a niche brand that maybe has 2 percent of the market, it doesn't make sense. The Cameraville Guy discovered that.

So, our objectives as photography lovers and lovers of the Pentax brand runs counter with a vlogger, who *must* go mainstream.
There are a few though, mainly Pentax enthusiasts who either use Pentax in their daily photographic life or guys who just want to share the love others review them, Chris Nichol, (who I actually quite like) Kai Wong (bonkers) and Mattias burling are my favourites of these
11-16-2020, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #11

I agree to some extent. If the main purpose of the vlogger is to show for example wildlife or nature, the equipment is less important. If it is all about equipment, yes you're right...
It is a shame Youtube is the only important medium to vloggers. You know, google...I hate it!
11-16-2020, 09:09 AM - 4 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

My channel was about Pentax until I switched to Fuji.

I do like Mattias Burling, but he reviews a lot of different brands, not just Pentax.

And it's true, if the goal is to have a successful Youtube channel, then it's all about number of subscribers, thumbs up, and notification bell clicks. 80% of the traffic I had early on was due to the fact that I accidentally reviewed some Canon gear. I've been taking Youtube a lot more seriously since August and it's been a tremendous amount of work but I want it to grow organically. I am shooting what I want to shoot and what I enjoy, but on the other hand what's the point of working on it so hard if the same 200 people are the only ones watching? (Don't get me wrong, if it weren't for those 200 people I wouldn't be doing it all!!)

Most entry level people, those searching for info and reviews on Youtube are shooting Canon Rebels, the #1 selling camera in the world. It would be very easy for me to switch my digital gear over to that and still focus on the Large Format film work and get a TON more subscribers and actually make the videos something worth doing.

If you do find channels you like, subscribe and hit the thumbs up button and the notification button. It costs you nothing and it helps the channels a lot because the google bot is all a numbers game. If you REALLY want to help a photographer buy a print from them (or whatever they're selling, patreon, etc.), it's the only way they make any money unless they have > 100,000 subscribers on Youtube. The YT payment algorithm is weighted and those under 100,000 subs make virtually nothing on the add revenue. Those over 100,000 subs can afford a new lens every year. No one's getting rich on YT except Google, and qdpie.
11-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Perhaps I'm unusual, I'm not as interested in gear reviews on YouTube - many of them (except likely the Pentax reviewers) are from people that get the equipment for free and so they're not going to tell you what they really think or the gravy train will dry up. I can't stand the Northrups. PHOTO UNIVERSE has recently moved into more of a fine art / photograph presentation format and I am greatly enjoying that move. His reviews were good but the art aspect is what intrigues/inspires me more.
11-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gear review is better in printed form...
11-16-2020, 10:39 AM - 4 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
Perhaps I'm unusual, I'm not as interested in gear reviews on YouTube - many of them (except likely the Pentax reviewers) are from people that get the equipment for free and so they're not going to tell you what they really think or the gravy train will dry up. I can't stand the Northrups. PHOTO UNIVERSE has recently moved into more of a fine art / photograph presentation format and I am greatly enjoying that move. His reviews were good but the art aspect is what intrigues/inspires me more.
Honestly, I thought my reviews were awful... they were really about how the cameras fit for the work I was doing or wanted to do, so they were very centered on my own needs. In fairness though I tried not to call them reviews. I'm much happier with my 10 month user report on the XPro3, I thought that was actually useful for someone to watch with a bit of decent and unique content I hadn't seen or read about elsewhere. Personally I never want to just go over the same stuff as everyone else, but try to add to the knowledge base somehow.

I'm not overly fond of the Northrup's presentations either. That's what you get when the presenters are trying to succeed at youtube and not just doing what they do and bringing you along or at least that's what that feels like. Thomas Heaton is an example of a guy I think who has struck a decent balance between growing the channel and keeping it organic or at least maintaining that illusion or feeling that it's organic. You feel like he'd be doing it whether he filmed it or not.

I'm glad your enjoying my new direction. I'm definitely enjoying making those videos for sure. It's awesome to hear that someone is appreciating them! Thank you!!!

---------- Post added 11-16-20 at 11:52 AM ----------

That's a big part of it.

And why everyone absolutely should try to support the channels they enjoy as much as they can. It's a grassroots thing and supporting the smaller channels (<100,000 subscribers) is the only thing helping them make more content you like.

I am trying to build my channel now on Large Format Film, the travel/art aspects of photography including darkroom fine art printing, and a bit of digital which right now is mostly Fuji with my Pentax bag waiting for the K3III release. But the topics I'm covering are the topics I'm interested in and not picked because they will set my channel on fire. (obviously)

If I added a Canon Rebel and a few lenses and dumped the Fuji and the Pentax I could increase my channel views and subscriptions by a factor of 10 easily. but I enjoy the Fuji's (and the Pentax's) I don't enjoy shooting Canon's. But I also don't enjoy spending 60 hours a week making videos that no one's watching either...

Last edited by Qwntm; 11-16-2020 at 10:57 AM.