Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
And why everyone absolutely should try to support the channels they enjoy as much as they can. It's a grassroots thing and supporting the smaller channels (<100,000 subscribers) is the only thing helping them make more content you like.
Quite right, Ed. People can get behind forum member Albert Siegel, a journalist living in Tokyo, who's trying to get his channel going (I think he got to 1000 subscribers the other week).

11-16-2020, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Quite right, Ed. People can get behind forum member Albert Siegel, a journalist living in Tokyo, who's trying to get his channel going (I think he got to 1000 subscribers the other week).
I followed Ed, now, where will I find Albert Siegel?
11-16-2020, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I followed Ed, now, where will I find Albert Siegel?
You can find Albert here:

Nice guy, nice presentation.

And thanks for the follow.

A lot of Youtubers don't know that until you hit around 35 posted videos the search algorithm kinda ignores you. Albert would get a lot more subscribers if he posted more videos. It's hard though. I started a new channel with just my name Edward Thomas, instead of Photo Universe, back in August because my content and direction had changed so drastically I wanted to start over. Posting everything I could post (that was still of interest to me, not just "I need to post so I'm posting fluff" or worse ) I think I'm at 14 videos so far.

You can find that channel here with mostly the same stuff as Photo Universe:
11-16-2020, 05:06 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can find Albert here: Heavily Abused Camera? Five Years Later! - YouTube

And thanks for the follow.

A lot of Youtubers don't know that until you hit around 35 posted videos the search algorithm kinda ignores you. Albert would get a lot more subscribers if he posted more videos. It's hard though. I started a new channel with just my name Edward Thomas, instead of Photo Universe, back in August because my content and direction had changed so drastically I wanted to start over. Posting everything I could post (that was still of interest to me, not just "I need to post so I'm posting fluff" or worse ) I think I'm at 14 videos so far.

You can find that channel here with mostly the same stuff as Photo Universe: Film Washer Update - YouTube
Found and subscribed. Thanks

11-17-2020, 10:39 AM - 4 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Some good ones already mentioned that I follow, but here's a few I haven't seen mentioned on this thread but definitely deserve to be checked out and supported:

John Bradford - Really good landscape/nature photography, some film stuff as well. He is shooting with a Pentax K-1 mostly right now.

Simon's Utak - Really a treasure trove of knowledge about vintage lenses. A lot on the Pentax lenses here. Beautiful images, wonderful presentation, lots of information. Really good one.

Geoff Moore - Takes you along on photography adventures, nature and landscape. Inspiring images and fun to learn some different techniques from another photographer.
11-17-2020, 04:37 PM - 4 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I started my channel, I had no clue what I was doing lol. The only thing I've been consistent with is the fact that it's not about getting rich, sponsored, hired etc for me. I'm a strong willed person and decided (after some discussions with friends who I've mentored in photography) to do the YouTube thing as a means to educate and help other beginners to photography. I also decided that instead of doing the whole super flashy ultra polished video production crew look, I'd try to keep it real in a matter of speaking. Just me being me, showing step by step elements, explaining things in depth as if you're there and I'm showing you. Sure, my videos may be longer than many are willing to deal with, but producing valid content in a transparent way has always been my number one priority. the other perks that could be possible are just a bonus but not my focus. I just feel bad when subscribers ask for specific videos on equipment/gear that I just don't have and can't afford to purchase because I'd love to provide the content they need. I've even checked to see how much renting gear would be and, well, one issue is I can't rent Pentax gear from the retailer. And as an example, renting a Nikon D500 with no lens for a weekend is $130. But a weekend isn't enough time to really learn the camera to properly provide honest content, so I'd be looking at $390 for a week, add a lens kit with a 24-70 and 70-200 and add another $225/week, so $615 for the week. Without an ROI, that would quickly begin to burry my channel lol. That's why I didn't start off with the mindset of "ouuuu!!!!! I'm gonna make so much money off this!!!" Since it's just not a realistic outlook.

I do agree with what's been said regarding supporting the smaller channels, I actually do mention in my vids that if you've come across a channel you like, subscribe to them, it helps all of us doing YouTube content. And truth be told, we're doing all this for you! Trust me, a lot of work goes into creating the content from start to finish.

Last edited by Kobie; 11-18-2020 at 03:51 PM.
11-17-2020, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
When I started my channel, I had no clue what I was doing lol. The only thing I've been consistent with is the fact that it's not about getting rich, sponsored, hired etc for me. I'm a strong willed person and decided (after some discussions with friends who've I've mentored in photography) to do the YouTube thing as a means to educate and help other beginners to photography. I also decided that instead of doing the whole super flashy ultra polished video production crew look, I'd try to keep it real in a matter of speaking. Just me being me, showing step by step elements, explaining things in depth as if you're there and I'm showing you. Sure, my videos may be longer than many are willing to deal with, but producing valid content in a transparent way has always been my number one priority. the other perks that could be possible are just a bonus but not my focus. I just feel bad when subscribers ask for specific videos on equipment/gear that I just don't have and can't afford to purchase because I'd love to provide they content they need. I've even checked to see how much renting gear would be and, well, one issue is I can't rent Pentax gear from the retailer. And as an example, renting a Nikon D500 with no lens for a weekend is $130. But a weekend isn't enough time to really learn the camera to properly provide honest content, so I'd be looking at $390 for a week, add a lens kit with a 24-70 and 70-200 and add another $225/week, so $615 for the week. Without an ROI, that would quickly begin to burry my channel lol. That's why I didn't start off with the mindset of "ouuuu!!!!! I'm gonna make so much money off this!!!" Since it's just not a realistic outlook.

I do agree with what's been said regarding supporting the smaller channels, I actually do mention in my vids that if you've come across a channel you like, subscribe to them, it helps all of us doing YouTube content. And truth be told, we're doing all this for you! Trust me, a lot of work goes into creating the content from start to finish.
I have done the same...I basically put little to no money in my channel unless I actually want the gear....maybe if my channel ever makes money 10 years down the line I might change my mind hahaha

11-18-2020, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I started my channel, I had no clue what I was doing lol. The only thing I've been consistent with is the fact that it's not about getting rich, sponsored, hired etc for me. I'm a strong willed person and decided (after some discussions with friends who've I've mentored in photography) to do the YouTube thing as a means to educate and help other beginners to photography. I also decided that instead of doing the whole super flashy ultra polished video production crew look, I'd try to keep it real in a matter of speaking. Just me being me, showing step by step elements, explaining things in depth as if you're there and I'm showing you. Sure, my videos may be longer than many are willing to deal with, but producing valid content in a transparent way has always been my number one priority. the other perks that could be possible are just a bonus but not my focus. I just feel bad when subscribers ask for specific videos on equipment/gear that I just don't have and can't afford to purchase because I'd love to provide they content they need. I've even checked to see how much renting gear would be and, well, one issue is I can't rent Pentax gear from the retailer. And as an example, renting a Nikon D500 with no lens for a weekend is $130. But a weekend isn't enough time to really learn the camera to properly provide honest content, so I'd be looking at $390 for a week, add a lens kit with a 24-70 and 70-200 and add another $225/week, so $615 for the week. Without an ROI, that would quickly begin to burry my channel lol. That's why I didn't start off with the mindset of "ouuuu!!!!! I'm gonna make so much money off this!!!" Since it's just not a realistic outlook.

I like your no frills approach because I can trust it shame you aren't in blighty, I could lend you loads of stuff to play with

---------- Post added 11-18-20 at 02:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I have done the same...I basically put little to no money in my channel unless I actually want the gear....maybe if my channel ever makes money 10 years down the line I might change my mind hahaha
OK, we appreciate you aren't here touting for business, but I am going to need your channel name so I can get out there and subscribe
11-21-2020, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was videos like this that really steered me to Pentax. I shoot outdoors and in rough terrain, so needed something that can take some abuse.
01-28-2021, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #25

I appear to have replied to the wrong post I'll try again!

---------- Post added 01-28-21 at 03:14 AM ----------

Would it not have been easier to rename Photo Universe, and maybe do a video explaining why for existing subscribers? Interested in if there is a reason you didn't.

You can find that channel here with mostly the same stuff as Photo Universe: Film Washer Update - YouTube

---------- Post added 01-28-21 at 03:16 AM ----------

Honestly Kobe - I wouldn't review anything I hadn't been living with for sometime, and have some experience of alternatives. Quick reviews of new gear may get you views but it's often superficial content. I know that my reviews frankly lack 'scientific evaluation' or even consistency of format but i like to think what I am actually delivering is a 'real user view' with the prioritising of information based on actual experience.

When I started my channel, I had no clue what I was doing lol. The only thing I've been consistent with is the fact that it's not about getting rich, sponsored, hired etc for me. I'm a strong willed person and decided (after some discussions with friends who I've mentored in photography) to do the YouTube thing as a means to educate and help other beginners to photography. I also decided that instead of doing the whole super flashy ultra polished video production crew look, I'd try to keep it real in a matter of speaking. Just me being me, showing step by step elements, explaining things in depth as if you're there and I'm showing you. Sure, my videos may be longer than many are willing to deal with, but producing valid content in a transparent way has always been my number one priority. the other perks that could be possible are just a bonus but not my focus. I just feel bad when subscribers ask for specific videos on equipment/gear that I just don't have and can't afford to purchase because I'd love to provide the content they need. I've even checked to see how much renting gear would be and, well, one issue is I can't rent Pentax gear from the retailer. And as an example, renting a Nikon D500 with no lens for a weekend is $130. But a weekend isn't enough time to really learn the camera to properly provide honest content, so I'd be looking at $390 for a week, add a lens kit with a 24-70 and 70-200 and add another $225/week, so $615 for the week. Without an ROI, that would quickly begin to burry my channel lol. That's why I didn't start off with the mindset of "ouuuu!!!!! I'm gonna make so much money off this!!!" Since it's just not a realistic outlook.

02-02-2021, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnjbloomfield Quote
I appear to have replied to the wrong post I'll try again!

---------- Post added 01-28-21 at 03:14 AM ----------

Would it not have been easier to rename Photo Universe, and maybe do a video explaining why for existing subscribers? Interested in if there is a reason you didn't.

---------- Post added 01-28-21 at 03:16 AM ----------

Honestly Kobe - I wouldn't review anything I hadn't been living with for sometime, and have some experience of alternatives. Quick reviews of new gear may get you views but it's often superficial content. I know that my reviews frankly lack 'scientific evaluation' or even consistency of format but i like to think what I am actually delivering is a 'real user view' with the prioritising of information based on actual experience.
My main reason for starting over was new subscribers in the future. I've thrashed around for 10 years trying to figure out what PHOTO UNIVERSE was so much that I fear the "brands" been used up or tainted. Since August and my serious video makeover I've not gained one subscriber on Photo Universe. But about 50% of the Edward Thomas Subscribers are new to me.

But the real fear is that the pool of potential viewers is small and that they already know me from Photo Universe and see my face and say, "Oh God that Pentax jerk again..." There's a gun channel called Yankee Marshall, and he has a lot of subscribers but I can't stand him. If he drastically changed his channel and presentation, I would never know.
02-03-2021, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Subbed... Notice your videoing in 4K, what's your video camera? Just curious.
02-03-2021, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Subbed... Notice your videoing in 4K, what's your video camera? Just curious.
Thanks for the sub!
As for the 4K footage, It's a mix of things lol.
Smartphone in 4K (Huawei P20 Pro), Action cam (APEXCAM M80).
Generally what I do is I convert anything that isn't 4K in the video editor which has a "smart render" capability that gives good results since it runs it through the video card for decoding and encoding (Nvidia Quadro FX series graphics card).
05-06-2021, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #29

So, any Pentaxian-run channels more in the style of Sean Tucker than the Northrups? - more on photos in general than gear? (right now it's hard to tell because everyone - thank you! - is all about k-3-3)
05-06-2021, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try Jamie Windsor, very in depth, Gavin Hoey and his 15min challenges, Rob Shea for infrared and Gary Gough for landscape. None are pentaxian but all are good, oh, and Henry Turner. He is very grounded and normal