Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 11:47 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh GR III: A Real-World Review from Vietnam

I'm a bit surprised no one has posted this review yet, it's a good review and an interesting article moving onto Wibi-sabi with a link to a Jamie Winsor - When BAD PHOTOS are BETTER.

https://petapixel.com/2020/11/14/ricoh-gr-iii-a-real-world-review-from-vietnam/#disqus_thread

Last edited by Kevin B123; 11-16-2020 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Forgot the link.
11-17-2020, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this, Kevin. I haven't watched it in full, but I've browsed through some of the photos and a lot of them are very much to my tastes. I'm a big fan of imperfection - both planned and accidental - in photography... I've not experimented with it much myself, but I'm keen to.

I'll enjoy watching the video properly later on
11-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've not experimented with it much myself, but I'm keen to.
Me too, I have a feeling they make it look easy. You need some project / subject matter in mind too. Some planning is in order.
11-17-2020, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Me too, I have a feeling they make it look easy. You need some project / subject matter in mind too. Some planning is in order.
That's perhaps the biggest weakness in my photography. I mostly capture what I see and like, which can take any form - meaning that an afternoon's shooting rarely has a central theme. I really must set myself some clearly-defined projects...

11-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of interesting thoughts in there. I'm not sure I agree with all of it, but to a certain extent blur, misfocus and/or mal-exposure (is that a word?) can make the shot feel more improvised, hurried, catching a fleeting glimpse, thus increasing the "authenticity". In Nan Goldin's case this is further helped by the scenes being untidy and the people not doing formal poses.

Underexposure will mostly add a darker mood, too, and a certain blurriness makes the darkness look more real, thus reinforcing the mood. We don't see perfectly sharp in the dark, after all.

@graeme83 is rather good at empolying these techniques.

I'm a big fan of imperfection - both planned and accidental - in photography... I've not experimented with it much myself
I must admit that I have "enhanced" accidental imperfections to make them look planned - if it's really blurry with completely blown highlights it must be inentional, right?

I have a feeling they make it look easy. You need some project / subject matter in mind too. Some planning is in order.
Too right. On those occasions where I do plan on making imperfect images they usually end up looking plain bad I guess it simply means that a good image can look "better" when imperfect, while a plain shot just will turn into a poor shot.
11-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I guess it simply means that a good image can look "better" when imperfect, while a plain shot just will turn into a poor shot.
This must be true, I have 0000's that, well, don't make the cut

Quite impressed with the out of focus architecture, I think I could manage some of that.

Edit:
Also, in the Petapixel article there is the advert for the mini Nisi filter kit - that would make for a really dinky landscaper kit. Well it attracted me anyway
11-17-2020, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

This must be true, I have 0000's that, well, don't make the cut

Quite impressed with the out of focus architecture, I think I could manage some of that.
I imagine it works best with well known buildings, or at least with very distinct features. Probably harder to make than it looks since it looks quite easy

Also, in the Petapixel article there is the advert for the mini Nisi filter kit - that would make for a really dinky landscaper kit. Well it attracted me anyway
Yes, I noticed, and I agree, it could make the GR even more versatile. The in-built ND filter, although not very strong, is quite useful, too (I think the GR III still has that?).

All in all a nice review, pretty much in agreement with how I find the GR II.

11-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoyed that video, thanks for the mention savoche. The blurry landscapes through the car window by Tom Hido speak to me in particular, must try that technique. I quite often try to mess with landscapes in various ways either through blur or movement, I find it can work very well in a forest environment where a tack sharp representation would (in my mind anyway) be far too busy and cluttered. It would technically be better but would likely never see the light of day.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I guess it simply means that a good image can look "better" when imperfect
Possibly a case of if the subject matter and overall look of the photo is engaging or is capturing an important moment then the technical aspects don't really matter, potentially even adding an extra layer of emotion on top.
I also wonder if these were planned blurry shots or simply she was taking pictures of everything without much thought, the ones that work being happy accidents.
11-17-2020, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah - I like that - and we Pentaxians should agree with it too - as Pentax talks about (and gets laughed at for) saying that their lenses are about more than the measurable and they 5 principles - make photos interesting, not perfect - perfection isn't interesting - not so strange really...
11-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like that perfection can really be imperfection. Too often I will skip over a raw photos deciding it was just not right.

I plan on going back to look at those shots and see if in reality they are perfect while being imperfect.
11-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I thought that article was one of the best camera reviews from a user perspective that I've read. Really good, articulate and exhaustive.
11-21-2020, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's perhaps the biggest weakness in my photography. I mostly capture what I see and like, which can take any form - meaning that an afternoon's shooting rarely has a central theme. I really must set myself some clearly-defined projects...

My goal each year is to get one themed calendar together, so 13 high quality images on a central theme (always nature/landscape thusfar). I give most of them away but sell a few to friends and coworkers. I have a couple long term calendar projects right now that are being pieced together from my journeys. Sometimes I finish it with one trip, other times it takes most of the year.
11-23-2020, 01:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Good content on both counts, the camera review and Wabi-Sabi. I've been going through my shots recently, and for many I've decided to abandon trying to make them just right (to me) in PP
11-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
Good content on both counts, the camera review and Wabi-Sabi. I've been going through my shots recently, and for many I've decided to abandon trying to make them just right (to me) in PP
I've been doing the same thing lately, I noticed a bad habit from a few years ago where I tried to make my micro four thirds shots "too perfect" in terms of exposure, I think it's a common trap for people to attempt to squeeze absolutely all the dynamic range into the file and not let any highlights blow or shadows block. Turns out a lot of my shots are more interesting in JPEG, without that manhandling of dynamic range!