Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for K-70 raffle.

11-19-2020, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A contest does get those who were more a visitor than a member. Plus I think with world event what they are folks are spending more time inside and looking for ways to continue a hobby with little risk.

Joining give them an opportunity to hang out with folks with the same interests.
11-19-2020, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I concur with those who’ve noticed a recent increase, especially since the start of the current raffle season. Nonetheless, an increase in membership is a good thing at any time, and if only a minority stick around and contribute then so much the better.

In any event, it gives the lie to those who disparage the number of Pentax users as being so small as can be readily dismissed. Activity and dedication to the craft are what’s important.
11-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
In any event, it gives the lie to those who disparage the number of Pentax users as being so small as can be readily dismissed. Activity and dedication to the craft are what’s important.
There are definitely fewer people that use Pentax compared to Nikon or Canon or Sony...but actually I kind of think this is a positive. I was just thinking today that this forum is a pretty nice community and I think part of the reason is our shared use of a more niche brand that is a little different.

11-19-2020, 06:05 PM - 3 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I, for one, welcome the lurkers turned members.
11-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #36

More people are posting on the welcome threads as it is an easy way to up your post count for the raffle The thread "bumps" make them more noticeable.
11-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Covid-19, K-70 raffle.
Full stop.
Agreed Vanya...

11-19-2020, 07:28 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
" disappear " can be a misleading term if you judge " participation " by posting

members can gain from the forums by simply reading the posts and gaining the knowledge available here without posting

however, imho, the more involved a member is, the more the member gains

YMMV
You're making this way too much complicated !
Added note: I think that this increase might also be due by the recent announcement of the upcoming K3III.
11-19-2020, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
You're making this way too much complicated ! . . . .
moi ???

shirley not
11-19-2020, 10:57 PM   #40
Pentaxian

COVID-19 is just a conspiracy to bring Pentax users together. There, I said what you were all thinking.
11-20-2020, 12:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Joined to lurk cause I got a new (to me) camera. Started posting because of the raffle
11-20-2020, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
COVID-19 is just a conspiracy to bring Pentax users together. There, I said what you were all thinking.
Pentax Forums is one of the few places around where you don't have to wear a mask when you are hanging out with friends.
11-20-2020, 04:12 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax Forums is one of the few places around where you don't have to wear a mask when you are hanging out with friends.
I suspect this is the case. Many hobbies have seen an increase in numbers.
11-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Adam also has NikonForums and CanonForums. He could tell us if all have shown a similar increase in new users or only this site has. Fascinating topic.

Thanks,
barondla
11-20-2020, 11:42 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I found the fact that Pentax is still improving their optical Viewfinder quite encouraging.
Honestly, these days, who does that?
Indeed. AF and video are the two main drivers of improvements these days for camera bodies. Pentax is still developing cameras focused on the experience of taking a picture.

It seems, also, that some lens makers are realizing what Pentax understood a long time ago with their Limited, that compact, moderately fast prices with great performances can be wonderful in a camera bag.