Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yea, I went back to edit the title and correct the "anyone" to "anybody" as soon as I realized it sounded wrong, but it wsd too late to edit the title.

I was then going to use "does anybody really care...about time" as my first sentence. 😃

11-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
We did?

Going off topic but I was under the impression we started and Reagan kind of stopped it?

Thanks,
This was 100 years before Reagan. The law was passed in the 1870's to become effective in 1880.
11-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
This was 100 years before Reagan. The law was passed in the 1870's to become effective in 1880.
HA! I had to go back and re-read the post. Sorry.
11-20-2020, 07:38 PM   #34
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
So .. laws only work if the 'people' agree with them......
Interesting consept

11-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
So .. laws only work if the 'people' agree with them......
Interesting consept
That is absolutely true...there are only finitely many resources to enforce laws so if sufficiently many people don't agree with them and break them, then nothing really can be done. Like people going 5km/hr over the speed limit, j-walking, whistling underwater, etc.
11-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I do remember the late 1970s, when I was in college and we thought that the conversion to the metric system was imminent; we even had a few controversial highway signs in Connecticut listing the distance to various cities in miles and kilometers (I would have sympathized more with the complaints if the signs only listed distances in kilometers). Nowadays, we have this weird hybrid that has evolved in response to market trends, with us buying soft drinks in liter bottles and gasoline in gallons. And, of course, we use millimeters all the time when discussing focal lengths...
11-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Nowadays, we have this weird hybrid that has evolved in response to market trends, with us buying soft drinks in liter bottles...
Unless you buy single serve sizes, then coke (I'm from Texas, any carbonated beverage is generically called "coke") is sold in ounces.

Personally, I think the switch should have been all or nothing cold turkey. If we did that, moving to metric wouldn't have become such a long and drawn out failed process.

11-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Unless you buy single serve sizes, then coke (I'm from Texas, any carbonated beverage is generically called "coke") is sold in ounces.

Personally, I think the switch should have been all or nothing cold turkey. If we did that, moving to metric wouldn't have become such a long and drawn out failed process.
Yes, we definitely should have pulled off the bandage when we had the chance 40 years ago. Everybody in engineering school was actively preparing for the transition!
11-22-2020, 11:12 PM   #39
dbs
Pentaxian

At least time is time regardless of where you live
11-22-2020, 11:36 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless you are moving, then that whole theory of relativity thingy comes in to play.

Side note: How is it no one has yet to respond to the thread title with, "TOOL TIME!"
11-22-2020, 11:57 PM   #41
dbs
Pentaxian

Unless you are moving, then that whole theory of relativity thingy comes in to play.

Side note: How is it no one has yet to respond to the thread title with, "TOOL TIME!"
Not all of us enjoyed 'Tim the Toolman "
11-23-2020, 12:14 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Ha! That's a good one. Though Tim would be disappointed in me. I used a razor saw on the lens barrel instead of a Sawzall. 😃
11-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Ha! That's a good one. Though Tim would be disappointed in me. I used a razor saw on the lens barrel instead of a Sawzall. 😃
Your build is quite clever, though nothing about it screams, "More power!"
11-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, but the time zone on the East coast of Newfoundland is 1/2 hour ahead of the next time zone to the West. I found that out when researching my now cancelled trip to Newfoundland.
11-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did think about it!
I was looking for a video clip on YouTube about that but could not find it.

The most beautiful Christmas tree was his with spark plugs as ornaments. As a tribute I did one once with Hot Wheels
Both Tim Allen AND Tim the Toolman Taylor are my heroes
Not to mention Buzz Lightyear...

Thanks,