Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #16
Banned

We will see if it turned out to be a good deal. I figured for that price I would take a chance. I mean, there were a bunch of so called "Mint" ones from Japan asking $400 + so for $20, I took a chance. Will report back on arrival.

11-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax Forums has cured my GAS for the most part----because I've found so many incredible deals here (and the sage advice about great lenses, plus examples to see for myself) that I've been able to buy what for me is a complete kit in both 645 and FF. So, not so much to buy anymore for me.

We'll see about the new 21 limited and the K3III's video, though....
11-24-2020, 07:47 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have a 55-300mm HD but my heart really wants a PLM! I can keep the voices quiet until I get here, but with the increase in activity comes temptation! In order to get the PLM I would need to sell my 55-300mm, a Takumar 100mm macro and an auto takumar 35mm, but I don't want to, but I really want the PLM! Or do I! OK, the AF is astonishing, but I don't do sports or birds, centre sharpness is marginally better, but the original is very good, and the PLM is heavier, just as long and slightly harder to hold when fully extended! See, reason, ... but I still want the PLM. Wanting a 20-40mm limited and a K1 are both logical but my longing for a PLM stems from the enthusiasm of Pentaxians which can be a terrible guide!
You don't want to get rid of that Tak Macro, there are other ways to get the funds. Do you really need to eat? I'm sure a lot of money could be saved by not eating. I know myself I eat way too much anyway. And if you are not doing sports or birds, why do you need that fast autofocus? It is a great landscape lens, but so is that old HD version, which is actually heavier than the PLM by a whopping 8 grams. My old DA non WR version was very sharp if you were at least to F8, under F7.1 was pretty useless (but still a good lens and still in the family). Just because the PLM is good wide open is not going to help you for landscapes any more than that zippy autofocus will. And once you've used that blazing fast autofocus a couple times it doesn't really impress you any more, you just get used to it. Seriously, if I'm not using lenses I will sell them and try something else. There have been a couple of times that maybe was not the best thin, I sold a Kiron 28/2 because at the time I was just not good at autofocus. Now there is this thing called focus peaking. I had a couple of macros that I sold because I just wasn't using them. I have three macros now, but I got them all very cheaply. One I sold was a DFA 100 WR, which I bought as my first WR lens, but I sold it to raise funds for the DA*300, and I don't regret that one at all. But it does seem like it's not a sellers market right now.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For a long time I didn't use my HD 55-300 much, but in the last year or so I've fallen in love with it. AF performance - at least for an initial lock - can be improved significantly by pre-focusing to either MFD or infinity, depending on subject distance.
You have found the key to using the autofocus with that lens, when I had the previous DA not WR version that method got me a lot more shots of birds and didn't scare them away. Get close with quickshift, then let the autofocus nail it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Just bought a A-50 1.2 on Fleabay a few days ago. It's due to arrive today or tomorrow. Princely cost of $20 plus shipping. Looked good in photos. I guess we will find out shortly.
Wow! That's a score, I've seen several listed like that but then the photos show a 1:2. Keeping fingers crossed for you!
11-24-2020, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I already owned the HD DA55-300 screw-drive when the PLM version was released. I thought about upgrading for a while, but decided not to. The improved IQ would be nice; so, too, the quieter and faster AF... but, I'm not keen on the "by wire" manual focusing, and the need for KAF4 compatibility makes it useless on my older bodies. The slightly narrower aperture range - whilst not a show-stopper - is neverthelss a factor in natural light shooting, especially here in the UK during our darker months. Lastly, I'm not a big fan of dual cam collapsing / extending lens designs, with the added mechanical complexity and potential issues therein.

For a long time I didn't use my HD 55-300 much, but in the last year or so I've fallen in love with it. AF performance - at least for an initial lock - can be improved significantly by pre-focusing to either MFD or infinity, depending on subject distance. Image quality is perfectly good for my needs... not, of course, as good as my DA*60-250, but good enough - and because it's so light and relatively compact, I use it a lot more. It's just a great, versatile, inexpensive tele zoom that does everything I expect of it.
Bless you for this post!

Steve

11-24-2020, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
take a look at photos posted by members using what some might consider inadequate or out dated equipment

and you will find great photos
...and the desire to own their inadequate or outdated kit.

Steve

(...'taint inadequate if they get good photos...took delivery of @pepperberry farm; XR Rikenon 35/2.8 last week...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-24-2020 at 08:04 AM.
11-24-2020, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just bought a A-50 1.2 on Fleabay a few days ago. It's due to arrive today or tomorrow. Princely cost of $20 plus shipping. Looked good in photos. I guess we will find out shortly.
1.2? For $20, something weird there.
11-24-2020, 07:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
1.2? For $20, something weird there.
Agreed. Perhaps a 1:2 misinterpreted/misrepresented/misunderstood?
I just assumed it was an 1:2. Hawkfan, have you got a link to the listing?

11-24-2020, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Banned

Yeah, I just noticed. It's a f2. Serves me right for buying things late at night without my readers on. I'll re gift it or something as I believe I have one tucked away somewhere.
11-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Yeah, I just noticed. It's a f2. Serves me right for buying things late at night without my readers on. I'll re gift it or something as I believe I have one tucked away somewhere.
Prices are definitely climbing, not a bad purchase if it's a nice, serviceable example!
11-24-2020, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Prices are definitely climbing, not a bad purchase if it's a nice, serviceable example!
Yes. I checked and have the M version. This one is the A. I agree. I mean $20 for any old A, K or M lens is great. I thought I was scoring the deal of the century. My body isn't too doing too bad, but boy the eyesight thing....sheesh. Luckily I don't embarrass easily! I'm looking at trying to find a black KX to go with my standard silver top version so it's all good.
11-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, I knew that 50mm was an f2 because I did the same, also, was there an f1.2? I know there is an f1.4 the info on the 1.4 is 1:1.4

---------- Post added 11-24-20 at 08:21 AM ----------

Yes. I checked and have the M version. This one is the A. I agree. I mean $20 for any old A, K or M lens is great.
Actually, yeah it is prices of M42 are climbing nicely
11-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #27
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was looking thru 50/1.2 lenses on ebay few weeks ago and noticed a lot of mislabeled 50/2 lenses. Prices were right thought so they were easy to skip. Several f1.2 available in Japan in good condition and reasonable price, but decided to save for DFA*85.

So my tip for those suffering from LBA. Set the goal high enough and you have a good reason to skip cheaper lenses for a long time
11-24-2020, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You don't want to get rid of that Tak Macro, there are other ways to get the funds. Do you really need to eat? I'm sure a lot of money could be saved by not eating. I know myself I eat way too much anyway.!
Tell me about it. I have been somewhat inactive during lockdown. I am now so large I have my own gravitational field The Tak macro is out on loan to a friend with a Sony A7iii. I picked up a vivitar series1 105mm f2.5 macro, in shop condition (the case strap is still in plastic) for £25. I definitely won't be selling that. Lenses that have got away (been sold to fund limited lenses) include a pancolor, a mir 1a, a beautiful Schneider kreuznach edixa tele xenon 135mm f4 (it fouled on my K3 mirror) a Jupiter 11A and an smc Takumar 55mm f2. I still have 20 or so vintage lenses though, so I am not too upset.

---------- Post added 11-24-20 at 08:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I was looking thru 50/1.2 lenses on ebay few weeks ago and noticed a lot of mislabeled 50/2 lenses. Prices were right thought so they were easy to skip. Several f1.2 available in Japan in good condition and reasonable price, but decided to save for DFA*85.

So my tip for those suffering from LBA. Set the goal high enough and you have a good reason to skip cheaper lenses for a long time
So, there is an f1.2, well, I didn't know that
11-24-2020, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and the desire to own their inadequate or outdated kit.

Steve

(...'taint inadequate if they get good photos...took delivery of @pepperberry farm; XR Rikenon 35/2.8 last week...)
you are certainly correct

you do not necessarily need the " latest and brightest " equipment to take excellent photos

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
. . . the phrase "there's many a good tune played on an old fiddle" . . .
I may borrow [ steal ] that line
11-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Frankly, I'd keep it. I have a mint copy of the same lens, and whilst it's overshadowed in these forums by faster models, it's a nice lens that renders well. A lot of lens for $20...