Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2020, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Regarding the OP, I picked up the 55-300mm HD a few years back to improve my chances of getting decent shots of the partial solar eclipse then. The 1980s-vintage Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm I had wasn't quite up to snuff, as I discovered during the last transit of Venus some years before. While the 55-300mm HD is a consumer-grade lens, I've managed to use it with my K-5 body to obtain surprisingly good results photographing the moon. The PLM might improve on my results a bit, but my K-5 body doesn't support it.

However, when I see the results that people obtain with newer bodies and glass like the DA* 300m f4, the GAS kicks and I start wondering what I can pull off with limited available funds.

11-24-2020, 08:44 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
So, there is an f1.2, well, I didn't know that
There's also golden available

11-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Wow. I had forgotten that Pentax offered a 50mm f1.2 back in the day. Nikon just announced a Z-mount 50mm f1.2 and Canon has gotten good reviews for their RF-mount equivalent, but neither one will probably ever come out in gold...

And is that snakeskin around the focus ring?

Last edited by ecostigny; 11-24-2020 at 08:58 AM.
11-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
OK, that is something special! You ain't gonna get one of those for £20!

11-24-2020, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Yes. I checked and have the M version. This one is the A. I agree. I mean $20 for any old A, K or M lens is great. I thought I was scoring the deal of the century. My body isn't too doing too bad, but boy the eyesight thing....sheesh. Luckily I don't embarrass easily! I'm looking at trying to find a black KX to go with my standard silver top version so it's all good.
I would try out the A 50 f2 before getting rid of it... I think you might find it an improvement over the M version. The coatings seem to have improved and you have, of course, the A setting to use all your camera program modes. For $20 I think it might be worth playing around with it!

I know very well what it is like to have a very restricted money to spend on camera gear... pretty much everything I have bought up to about a year ago has been by selling something else. Early on I lucked into a set of A lenses that came with an A3000 for very little money, so selling these (including an A 135 f2.8) bought me a DA 35 2.4 (which was selling for over 180 dollars at the time) as my first and only new lens purchase - and that really improved my pictures (before that I had the kit 18-55 lens and a bunch of really cheap manual focus lenses). From the A lenses set, I also kept the SMC-A 70-210mm f4 which I still have today (and it still delivers great images).

I sold some more of my music equipment (from my single days...) and have what I consider a good setup now, even if I don't have everything I want - I still have more than I really need, and definitely much more than my limited talent is able to make us of.

I guess what I want to say is that Pentax is probably the right place for hobbyist photographers to get great image quality for a low cost. I can understand why professionals with money to spend, would choose a different system that gives them more modern bells and whistles, but Pentax can give you really great image quality and not cost you an arm and a leg...
11-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow that is a special 1.2! I have the black A 1.2 and it produces images that are hard to produce in post process. The K-1ii and focus peaking in live-view make it much easier to focus than it was on film cameras.
11-24-2020, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Banned

Oh, for sure I will be trying it out. The one little . in the listing is all it took. It is a f2. But that's fine. Put a $5000 camera and lens in one persons hand and get dreck. Put a Brownie in an other's and get a masterpiece. It isn't all in the gear.

11-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I shoot lenses that are literally broken and get decent shots. Upgrade when you really need it or have the disposable income to do so, there's no reason otherwise.

You will likely regret selling your other lenses for what is realistically an infatuation.
11-24-2020, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lenses are tools that help make shooting easier for a given application. A good tool is better than an inferior one, but if the tools are close in quality, the images should be also. Yes, different lenses have different imaging characteristics (tone/cast, bokeh, etc.) but they can produce great images if they are of decent quality. As digital has developed, other needs surfaced (better multi-coatings to reduce inter-reflections for instance), but a good SMC lens will still do a great job on most images.

Moreover than the lens, its the scene that presents itself that will really make the image. New photographers look for camera, experienced photographers look for lenses, Master photographers look for the light! Keep shooting and looking for the great light!
11-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #40
Pentaxian

This might be a bit exaggerated but I think this forum plays a big role in keeping the Pentax brand alive, and teh reason why in my opinion is because its totally independent from Ricoh/Pentax!
11-24-2020, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Veteran Member

And so it was that the retail assistant or that which is called Alexa spoke with false tongues and said verily if thou would only part with some more of thy shekels you would be happy and findeth contenment in some shiny glass and glossy plastic even if it lasteth only a few hours before you realise you still cannot rate among the holiest of those that are called photographers.

And verily did the wise old ancient respondeth to the false idols of image retail and sayeth get thee hence false prophets with thy latest and greatest retail bargain for I counsel rather than buy gear made of shiny stuff that surely will be obsoleted by this time next week buy sacred tomes by holy photogs liketh them that are called Page, McCulljn, Smith and Adams...yea even unto them that are called Bailey and taketh the images graven in linotype on glossy art quality paper and set yourself to produceth good quality liken unto the holy of the holiest photographers and know that thy gear is good enough for thy needs for surely thou art not of the National Geographic brethren.
And when thou art proven thyself adequate surely then will be the moment to do what is known as gradeth up.
11-24-2020, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
OK, first of all, PF is the best photographic forum with the best, most knowledgeable and most helpful members you could ever wish for. It is also the best guide there is when you are in the market to buy. setting the scene, I have zero disposable income for various reasons. My kit has been built up by trading up and everything I own, I love. My kit covers everything, pretty much, but reason doesn't stop the GAS! I have a 55-300mm HD but my heart really wants a PLM! I can keep the voices quiet until I get here, but with the increase in activity comes temptation! In order to get the PLM I would need to sell my 55-300mm, a Takumar 100mm macro and an auto takumar 35mm, but I don't want to, but I really want the PLM! Or do I! OK, the AF is astonishing, but I don't do sports or birds, centre sharpness is marginally better, but the original is very good, and the PLM is heavier, just as long and slightly harder to hold when fully extended! See, reason, ... but I still want the PLM. Wanting a 20-40mm limited and a K1 are both logical but my longing for a PLM stems from the enthusiasm of Pentaxians which can be a terrible guide! So, I am going to spend some time with my noisy old lens and give it some love. I guess the point of this ramble is to remind people to look at what they have. The good advice, particularly in glass, is buy the best, but it is equally important not to beat yourself up, like I have been doing, when the funds don't stretch. If you need retail therapy, bid on a Pentax-M (or in my case a Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 I don't need it but it is going to be cheap and something to play with when I am doing photography for the fun of it).
I’d say stick with the scewdrive 55-300 and save for a 20-40 LTD etc.. I have the HD DA 55-300 non PLM and it is easily my workhorse lens on my KP. The main reason I chose it over the PLM was the reliability of the screwdrive. Accuracy and reliability are where the “old” system excels, with speed the only shortcoming. As for the narrow aperture of consumer zooms, with the high ISO capability of the KP or K70, you can get great results at higher ISOs which can negate the narrow apertures. SO, perhaps a KP or K70 should be next on the list along with a 20-40LTD instead of K1!!! Yes, the KP is a very good, and very capable camera. I guess that wouldn’t save you any money, but a silver 20-40 would look good on a silver KP! The old 55-300 doesn’t look too bad either, and gets great results! Good Luck!
11-24-2020, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I often wonder how much money I would have saved if this site didn't exist. And what's ironic is many contributors here lament the lack of Pentax marketing. Well what happened to all my hard earned then?
Just the opposite for me. I wonder how much money I would have spent if PF wasn't here to help me sort thru the maze.
11-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #44
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread title is a terrible guide to an excellent site!
But seriously, people are responsible for their own GAS.
B&H, Adorama and KEH are in business because people not only have use for their photographic gear, but also to feed the GAS people justify in their lives.
In the end, we all have to pick our addictions... or keep them in check...
Enjoy the GAS...
11-25-2020, 12:55 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I’d say stick with the scewdrive 55-300 and save for a 20-40 LTD etc.. I have the HD DA 55-300 non PLM and it is easily my workhorse lens on my KP. The main reason I chose it over the PLM was the reliability of the screwdrive. Accuracy and reliability are where the “old” system excels, with speed the only shortcoming. As for the narrow aperture of consumer zooms, with the high ISO capability of the KP or K70, you can get great results at higher ISOs which can negate the narrow apertures. SO, perhaps a KP or K70 should be next on the list along with a 20-40LTD instead of K1!!! Yes, the KP is a very good, and very capable camera. I guess that wouldn’t save you any money, but a silver 20-40 would look good on a silver KP! The old 55-300 doesn’t look too bad either, and gets great results! Good Luck!
Ah, i am ahead of you there, i have a beautiful silver KP, and yep, its amazing