Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2020, 07:57 AM - 13 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reducing the GAS: How I'm improving my Photography

Many threads in Pentax Forums discuss new gear, the choice of camera formats, lens options, and equipment performance. Indeed, the promise of the upcoming Pentax K-3 Mark III has prompted many members to reflect on their current kit and to entertain the lure of new features, higher performance, and an enhanced shooting experience. However, while the choice of equipment is important, it's not the only element in the chain between one's photo subject and a pleasing final image.

I would say that I have assembled a decent kit over the years, consisting of a K-3 II, various 'modern' lenses covering 15-300mm, and a modest collection of classic vintage lenses. My tripod system is sturdy and reliable; my filters are functional; and my library of photo books includes the essentials. On the other hand, my compositions could be better; I still blow the highlights occasionally; and some of my subjects are downright boring.

Earlier this year, while facing months of COVID-related restrictions, I reflected on how I might spend time to improve the outcomes of my photography hobby. I identified one area for serious study: post processing. Although I've become fairly adept at developing my RAW files with RawTherapee, I have had virtually zero experience in the finer aspects of 'local adjustments', layers, and masks. I've used PaintShop Pro for basic editing functions and image resizing, but have largely ignored 90% of its capabilities.

When Serif -- the maker of Affinity Photo -- offered 50% discounts, I acquired a Windows version for CAD $35, an absolute bargain. After dipping my toe into its vast array of tools and functions, I decided to invest in one of the single best photo-related items I've purchased recently: Serif's Affinity Photo Workbook, a printed edition that sells for CAD $65. I'm walking through the heavy 480-page exercise book section-by-section. One of the highlights of the Workbook is that the reader can download the actual RAW and jpeg files that are used in the exercises, which really enhances the learning experience. I'm not a LayerMaster or MaskMan yet, but I'm progressing in my knowledge and skill, and already I'm finding that my images are benefiting from the subtle tweaks that the application affords.

So, my intent here is not to promote Affinity Photo per se. Rather, I'd like to suggest that one's photography may be enhanced through various avenues, and that gear acquisition syndrome may be moderated through a prescription of focusing on other aspects of the photographic process. Improving one's knowledge, skills, and ability may have a greater influence on your outcomes than buying yet another lens or getting a new camera.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-24-2020 at 08:16 AM.
11-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nicely said.
11-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree-nicely said indeed! I have been spending more time with Affinity Photo as well in the last few months, and it has not only helped me improve my photographs, but also better understand what I am trying to accomplish before I press the shutter button. Still, I am guilty of that same GAS from time to time, and it's especially difficult to avoid with the K-3 iii on the horizon plus holiday sales beginning. It's a good reminder that I only want (not need) new gear if I can get the result I'm looking for.
11-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Part of the art of photography is working with what you have, which is why black and white photography is not inferior to color photography, for example.

11-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I will have to look into this

part of my reluctance to use RAW is that any thing I have found to use

did not come with instructions

I need all the help I can get

right now I use Jpeg and a basic pp program what comes with Windows

any other RAW pp systems with instructions available ?
11-24-2020, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I agree with this... Sometimes I'm surprised by a photographer with some stunning pictures (and I'm not talking about overdone PP that resembles more a cartoon than reality) - only to find out they have an entry level DSLR and a kit lens, and some really good knowledge of photography basics and good post processing skills. Especially from countries where it will take a month's salary just to buy a cheap camera kit! So they just learn to make the best use of it.
11-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have an old version of Adobe Photoshop Extended that I've been using on my RAW files. While Adobe's online help can be fairly opaque, there is a wealth of third-party books and online documentation to help you master its intricacies. As a result, images that start out as mediocre can transform into something remarkable with a little extra work.

11-24-2020, 09:21 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
RawTherapee has excellent documentation, including a "Getting Started" section for brand new users:

RawPedia

Darktable also has very good documentation, though the presentation isn't quite as slick and friendly:

darktable 2.4 | usermanual | darktable resources | darktable

The thing is, you don't have to know everything about any raw processing software. They're packed with overwhelming features that you simply won't need much of the time (if ever). There are a few basic adjustments available in almost every raw tool (sometimes called different things, however) that will serve you well for 90% or more of your photos. If you never learned more than these, you wouldn't miss out on much:
- white balance
- exposure
- contrast
- local contrast (or "clarity")
- saturation and vibrance
- shadows and highlights
- tone curve (good to know, but not essential)
- colour noise reduction (and, if you must, luminance noise reduction)
- spot healing
- cropping
- resizing
- exporting
I don't think I've missed anything, here. I'm sure folks will chime in if I have

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-25-2020 at 03:27 AM.
11-24-2020, 02:27 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
RawTherapee has excellent documentation, including a "Getting Started" section for brand new users:

RawPedia

Darktable also has very good documentation, though the presentation isn't quite as slick and friendly:

darktable 2.4 | usermanual | darktable
Strangely enough, I recently I repurposed my extra desktop computer to run Linux and one of the first things I did was to install both of the above tools. I am a dyed in the wool Lightroom user (since v1.0), but feel that it is good to know the leading alternatives for the day when I tell Adobe, enough is enough, and stomp off into the virtual mist.

I agree that learning the craft of "finishing" the photographic process allows us to learn all the better, our craft. Work with a JPEG and then with a RAW of the same subject and BINGO! the lights come on why it makes since to shoot RAW. The limits to how much shadows can really be pulled (not really that much) comes home hard as does the subtle nature of camera motion.

On the subject of reducing G.A.S., it occurred to me this morning that avoiding the certain practices might help quench and dampen the flames of desire...in order of increasing importance:
  • Don't think in terms of rounding out the focal length coverage of the lens collection
  • Don't think of oneself having a lens collection
  • Don't shop unless you have a clear purpose for the purchase you will talk yourself into making.
  • Stay away from "Help Me Spend My Money" threads on Pentax Forums. Often enough a side effect of contributing will be an impulsive purchase, just because...
  • The above also applies to "How can I best do...?" threads.
...says the man who last week took part in a "I want a rangefinder camera" thread and ended up with a very clean Minolta Hi-Matic 9 headed this way in the post, despite having plenty of cameras.

Steve
11-24-2020, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike - The darktable v2.4 documentation link you provided is obsolete. The current v3.0 documentation can be found here:

resources | darktable

The upcoming darktable v3.4 release scheduled for just before Christmas will also have new documentation, and it will be needed given the deep changes in the next release.

Jack
11-24-2020, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Improving one's knowledge, skills, and ability may have a greater influence on your outcomes than buying yet another lens or getting a new camera.
*Much* more, IMHO!

Spend the money on doing a course, a workshop with others, a trip away to a location, hiring a model, etc.

You actually start taking pictures worthy of the gear.

Taking the same picture of a flower or a cup of coffee as someone has for the last twenty years, but this time with a Sony 85mm G Master lens, seems futile.
11-24-2020, 05:08 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Strangely enough, I recently I repurposed my extra desktop computer to run Linux and one of the first things I did was to install both of the above tools. I am a dyed in the wool Lightroom user (since v1.0), but feel that it is good to know the leading alternatives for the day when I tell Adobe, enough is enough, and stomp off into the virtual mist.
As I think you know, my relationship with Adobe ended when it went to a subscription model. I'm happy to pay for software, but I don't like subscriptions; so, I've been using Darktable and - more recently - RawTherapee since, occasionally (but rarely) with GIMP for editing. The transition hasn't been without its bumps, some of them enduring... but I'm mostly happy with these tools.

Having acquired a new laptop a couple of years ago with Windows 10, I recently re-installed my copy of LR6 (because, I figured, why not?), and I've realised what a superb job Adobe did in making it relatively simple to use whilst producing really great results. RawTherapee and Darktable are incredibly capable - in some respects, even more so than Lightroom - yet also frustratingly quirky or complicated at times. Still, they're well-supported and regularly updated, and there's no subscription involved. I can (indeed, I must) forgive the complexities and any transitional difficulties on that basis.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
On the subject of reducing G.A.S.
My G.A.S. has reduced - almost disappeared, in fact - without any apparent effort on my part.

After years of acquiring and upgrading cameras and lenses, I came to the realisation (over a period of time, admittedly) that the camera I enjoy using most is an old(er) 10MP Samsung GX-10, and the lens I enoy (and use) the most is my equally-humble Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. They're both limited in utility and performance, of course, but I love their simplicity. When I shoot that combo - taking no other bodies or lenses with me - in one sense I'm constrained by the limitations, yes... but if I simply choose to accept and embrace them, then I feel free to do whatever I want, need or have to, without thinking about equipment (other than how to use it optimally). If there's something I simply can't do because of those limitations, I'm OK with doing something else instead. It's incredibly liberating.

I really enjoy shooting my more recent and/or premium gear - my K-3 / K-3II, DA Limited lenses, my Hasselblad HV and Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 etc. - and I feel extremely fortunate to to have those choices available. Indeed, there are occasions where they're incredibly useful too... but, as I've said before in these forums, if I had to get rid of everything except one camera and one lens, I'd keep the GX-10 (or K10D) and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Coming to that realisation is, I think, what's curtailed my G.A.S.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-25-2020 at 05:00 AM.
11-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I've gotten over now.
11-25-2020, 12:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ah ha.....there you go. Best lesson I ever had was a pro handing me a Box Brownie and telling me not to come back until I could get 12 good pics from it. I never did acheive that but it was a lesson in ‘it aint what you got its the way that you use it’

GAS is sneaky though, I went back to film and before I knew it I was collecting cameras as a hobby instead of doing what I started which was getting back to basics

Maybe next year eh ?
11-25-2020, 12:54 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I will have to look into this

part of my reluctance to use RAW is that any thing I have found to use

did not come with instructions

I need all the help I can get

right now I use Jpeg and a basic pp program what comes with Windows

What probably needs to be said here is that RawTherapee has wiki-based documentation, so it's always exactly as good as all the people (maybe you) who contribute to it, make it. Not sure if darktable follows a similar model for its documentation, maybe it does.

The other thing you can obviously do is ask questions in forums.