Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2020, 02:26 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rodcy Quote
Any recommendations. I have a Fufi X20. It has its merits but I think I could do better. Would like something with depth of field control and a viewfinder. Please don't suggest Leica my pockets aren't that deep!
Have you considered a ILC Fuji?...The X-E3 will be superseded early in the new year and will be quite reasonable used,Those people who want the latest will be offloading.The 15/45 kit lens is quite good.Its a retractable powerzoomer.Makes a small light compact pocketable unit.

11-27-2020, 03:03 AM   #32
dlhawes

Fujifilm XP140; waterproof, nearly indestructible, 4k video, very flexible settings; about 230 bucks.
11-27-2020, 05:37 AM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
I bought my X20 second hand. A year later the zoom on-off broke. Not that impressed by the build. Feels good but not that convinced.
11-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Late to the show.

I would still recommend GR III even without viewfinder it's a fantastic camera!

Ricoh GR III Camera Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

11-27-2020, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Sony RX100 ?

12-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I finally pulled the trigger on a GX85 I found in flawless shape for half the price of new. I wanted the GRiii, but just couldn't justify the price for my purposes - it has little peer in it's category. With a 14mm pancake lens or the kit wide zoom the GR85 looks like it will be a great day-to-day. My K-3 with looks like a monster next to it with the 17-70mm walkabout I normally use.
12-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
I finally pulled the trigger on a GX85 I found in flawless shape for half the price of new. I wanted the GRiii, but just couldn't justify the price for my purposes - it has little peer in it's category. With a 14mm pancake lens or the kit wide zoom the GR85 looks like it will be a great day-to-day. My K-3 with looks like a monster next to it with the 17-70mm walkabout I normally use.
Interesting. I think I would prefer the LX100 for the money and size but I'm glad you found a winning combo.

12-11-2020, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Interesting. I think I would prefer the LX100 for the money and size but I'm glad you found a winning combo.
The LX100ii is more portable and was going to be my first pick, but the GX85 was coming in $200 cheaper, and I had some concerns about not being able to remove the lens on the LX for cleaning as I am good at getting my gear messy.
12-12-2020, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
The LX100ii is more portable and was going to be my first pick, but the GX85 was coming in $200 cheaper, and I had some concerns about not being able to remove the lens on the LX for cleaning as I am good at getting my gear messy.
That seems smart. I like the 12-32 it’s not a fast lens but it is tiny and the images I get are good. I carry it on a gx1 when I want the tiny m43 experience.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-13-2020 at 08:01 PM.
12-13-2020, 07:24 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 12-32mm lens is really quite good - the only real issue is that f3.5-5.6 is a very small aperture for micro four thirds. It gives you very little DoF control, I usually use f5.6 as the big-DoF "f8-f11" equivalent. So there's essentially no wiggle room at the long end.
12-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
The 12-32mm lens is really quite good - the only real issue is that f3.5-5.6 is a very small aperture for micro four thirds. It gives you very little DoF control, I usually use f5.6 as the big-DoF "f8-f11" equivalent. So there's essentially no wiggle room at the long end.
I mostly agree, but diffraction isn’t a hard barrier. Sometimes I’ll shoot at f8 on the long end of that lens.
12-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I mostly agree, but diffraction isn’t a hard barrier. Sometimes I’ll shoot at f8 on the long end of that lens.
I just find the lack of creativity offered by the DoF to be limiting. Although when the situation isn't likely to need shallow DoF I have no problem using it. It's a good lens, it lives on my wife's GF7.
12-14-2020, 07:49 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I just find the lack of creativity offered by the DoF to be limiting. Although when the situation isn't likely to need shallow DoF I have no problem using it. It's a good lens, it lives on my wife's GF7.
Where as folks like me have 1.4 and 2.8 glass but never shoot wide open. I have one DA* 55 1.4 image taken at ƒ1.4 and it was a test shot. Most of the time 1.4 is just twice as much weight of glass as ƒ2.

ƒ8 and be there.

If you look at Tims last image, he has subject isolation with narrow DoF on a small sensor camera. It's not like you can' ever do it. It's just harder, sometimes impossible. Just like wider DoF images are harder if not impossible on larger sensor cameras.
12-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Have you done blind tests? How about a blind forum poll?

I always wonder, is what I see what others see?

Looking a my 6 image polls, even lenses I think are my worst lenses have some followers, and I've never had even 30% of the people who answered the polls vote one lens the best. My guess is even even if your GR were voted the most popular, there would be more people who voted against it than voted for it.
I know what I see is not necessarily what others see, but if I'm buying gear for me, what I see is what matters. The democratic approach is not the approach I would use here, especially when I review things like what images get the most votes in our regular contests.

The GR lens has a distinctive rendering. So does the 31mm limited. Not everyone in a particular poll (especially if it's a controlled test-shot comparison, which may not highlight the lens's strengths or how they might apply to the user's intended real-world subjects) is going to select the 31mm as providing the best images, as it does have its technical flaws. Not all users are looking for or even sensitive to those differences in rendering, and those differences aren't relevant or even beneficial for every shooting situation. I'd value one thorough review by a perceptive observer (like this one: Guest Review: Pentax SMC FA 31mm f1.8 Limited - phillipreeve.net) over a hundred blind polls.
12-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where as folks like me have 1.4 and 2.8 glass but never shoot wide open. I have one DA* 55 1.4 image taken at ƒ1.4 and it was a test shot. Most of the time 1.4 is just twice as much weight of glass as ƒ2.

ƒ8 and be there.

If you look at Tims last image, he has subject isolation with narrow DoF on a small sensor camera. It's not like you can' ever do it. It's just harder, sometimes impossible. Just like wider DoF images are harder if not impossible on larger sensor cameras.
I like to have both options, large aperture and smaller. Although I have found that I've under-utilized smaller apertures at some points in the past. And with m4/3, it's f5.6 and be there