Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Great shots you guys!
I wasn't expecting such a show!
I find you really have to look at a few images to understand what might be a little different. These days, there just is no camera who's images stand out as always better than another one.

11-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I find you really have to look at a few images to understand what might be a little different. These days, there just is no camera who's images stand out as always better than another one.
I have to disagree! I consistently think images from the Ricoh GR series look better than those from the fixed-lens 28mm equivalent Fujis (and that one Nikon). It really just does have a singularly excellent lens with a unique visual signature. I really enjoyed having one for a bit, my problem with ownership of any of these large-sensor fixed lens cameras is the high ratio of purchase cost to what you lose when the lens motor, shutter, or some other component dies and bricks the camera. Fatal lens motor problems in the GR and GR II become much more common after about 11k shots based on at least one (admittedly small) poll. Busier times of year I can fire that many frames in a couple weeks, so I've finally resigned myself to living with DSLRs for the time being after all.

The pocket camera that leaves me with is the Panasonic LX3, which I bought last year, and would still recommend- even over the LX5 and LX7. The latter cameras have faster operation, slightly faster lenses and more bells and whistles, but the LX3 lens is crisper and its RAW files at base ISO more pleasant and detailed to my eye. For something like $60 on ebay I think it's hard to beat the value. The Ricoh GXR with S10 unit is optically its equal or a bit better and better-featured with much more flexible RAW files, but is about twice as bulky.
11-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Ricoh GR is definitely my pocket camera of choice, but 28mm fixed lens isn't for everyone. It does do quite well with the 35mm crop, however.
11-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I have to disagree! I consistently think images from the Ricoh GR series look better than those from the fixed-lens 28mm equivalent Fujis (and that one Nikon).
Have you done blind tests? How about a blind forum poll?

I always wonder, is what I see what others see?

Looking a my 6 image polls, even lenses I think are my worst lenses have some followers, and I've never had even 30% of the people who answered the polls vote one lens the best. My guess is even even if your GR were voted the most popular, there would be more people who voted against it than voted for it.

11-25-2020, 11:45 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think in your place, I would be looking for the Panasonic LX10.

1"sensor, f/1.4 "Leica"-branded lens, really good image quality, 4k video (if you need it). You won't see it in the latest "Top 10" lists because it's a few years old already, but the sensor technology is moving slowly now.

Except the OP says a viewfinder is required.
11-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
The Panasonic LX100 looks appealing but does it have a viewfinder? I find I just can't use a screen as I have SLR habits. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look at a few reviews on these cameras.
11-26-2020, 07:07 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Except the OP says a viewfinder is required.
Yes.... but that really limits the pocket-ability of a camera.

Maybe sticking with the X20 might be a good bet for the OP...

11-26-2020, 07:20 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rodcy Quote
The Panasonic LX100 looks appealing but does it have a viewfinder? I find I just can't use a screen as I have SLR habits. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look at a few reviews on these cameras.
The ZS100 has an EVF. I believe there's a newer version mkII or something, that has a better viewer, the one in the ZS can e sub par.
If you want an OVF, the K-P with an 40XS on it might work. How big are your pockets?

Last edited by normhead; 11-26-2020 at 07:27 AM.
11-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I like the shot of the skyscraper, waterfall and the Mesa Mountains with the clouds taken by Gray, and Normhead's shot of the dog and the woman with the camera(WOW) and the mushrooms shots, extremely life-like(IMHO)...
11-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The ZS100 has an EVF. I believe there's a newer version mkII or something, that has a better viewer, the one in the ZS can e sub par.
If you want an OVF, the K-P with an 40XS on it might work. How big are your pockets?
The K-S1 is quite a bit smaller... it's been known to be carried in my cargo shorts leg pockets on bike rides...
11-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rodcy Quote
It does! It's not the best EVF, but it works.
11-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yes.... but that really limits the pocket-ability of a camera.
Some are too big but there are many that aren't such as the Sony RX100 series III and newer are very pocket friendly. The Panasonic LX100 is big for some pockets but fits in larger ones. There are quite a few Panasonic compacts that have an EVF and still are able to go in a pocket.

My solution a few years ago was a Panasonic LX-7 with the optional EVF add on. The EVF went in one pocket and the camera in another or the two together in a jacket pocket.
11-26-2020, 10:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My solution a few years ago was a Panasonic LX-7 with the optional EVF add on. The EVF went in one pocket and the camera in another or the two together in a jacket pocket.
I sold off my LX-7 a few years ago and have regretted it since.
11-26-2020, 10:54 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I sold off my LX-7 a few years ago and have regretted it since.
They're surprisingly good, much like a Q with a fixed zoom.
11-27-2020, 12:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

How about just getting bigger pockets and carry a DSLR?