Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Companies like Nikon don't even make the sensor, they just tweak it to their needs.

Nikon have several sensors under their belt
This is their design with their own patents

11-29-2020, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not surprised Nikon sell more DSLR than Mirrorless, they are at the early stages and the first Z series, whilst being very capable, had a number of flaws. Like Pepperberry Farm said its horses for courses. I have a first gen Fuji X-E1 with an early evf and I don't care that it isn't as good as modern blah blah, I love it, in fact I am taking it out with me shortly because it is fun to use. I could quite happily live with evf. So often performance is judged on the finest of margins and the maligned lag is something I don't even notice. There is plenty of scope for them to live side by side. Mirrorless is currently hot, so it makes sense for companies to focus on it but Nikon and Canon have not said they will stop DSLR, they are just trimming the fat. If DSLR proves to be the most durable product, then they will turn again! If I could afford it, I would love to run an X-T3 alongside my KP because they are both a joy to use and each has things the other doesn't ... And they are both gorgeous

As for bigger, better and fancier, the new Lumix S5 is smaller than its predecessor, made of plastic, has no top LED, has a poorer evf! Its almost as if the golden mirrorless goose has stopped laying eggs, or maybe it is temporarily off colour the current climate makes judging impossible
11-29-2020, 02:17 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I would love to run an X-T3 alongside my KP because they are both a joy to use and each has things the other doesn't ... And they are both gorgeous
Well,the X-T3 is a joy to use,as for the KP I have no joy using it.Even though the output is certainly JOYous!I'm in the group that just doesnt like the ergonomics.

I have a first gen Fuji X-E1 with an early evf and I don't care that it isn't as good as modern blah blah
My first Fuji,its a great camera but has many short comings.But it will remain fun to use for those who like it.I'm about to sell mine.A great bargain at 150-200U$D.....

---------- Post added 11-29-20 at 08:21 PM ----------

X-T3
Available now At a bargain U$D 999,probably the best value Fuji ever.

---------- Post added 11-29-20 at 08:29 PM ----------

Nikon and Canon have not said they will stop DSLR,
Certainly not,they have between then 97% of the market and what business would give that away.

They said they are concentrating on M/L "for now" but will still develop Dslr as the need arises.
11-29-2020, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well,the X-T3 is a joy to use,as for the KP I have no joy using it.Even though the output is certainly JOYous!I'm in the group that just doesnt like the ergonomics.

My first Fuji,its a great camera but has many short comings.But it will remain fun to use for those who like it.I'm about to sell mine.A great bargain at 150-200U$D.....
Yeah, the KP splits opinions. My dial config works brilliantly for me and I find the grip depends on the lens, that's why I often revert to my K3. I got my X-E1 for £90! I wanted something cheap to take with me anywhere and its certainly that. I don't have Fuji glass and shoot M42, for that, the zoomable evf is a gift

11-29-2020, 02:35 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
People who think "mirrorless is the future" are simply wrong because
The future is PHONE photography!...I read last year(dont remember where) that 95% of images captured are by phones.

Ofcourse phones cant do what highly sophisticated advanced cameras can do,but they do the basics of landscape,portrait,candid everyday shots.
11-29-2020, 02:37 AM   #66
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Lenses maybe, but what RND do they need to develop on a system that takes away features more than it adds them? I mean look at the evolution of the A7 series, they were pumping out a new camera every 6 months basically.
Is it truly your contention that Sony, Nikon and Canon had little R&D to perform in creating their mirrorless cameras, simply because they no longer required a mirror - and perhaps, then, Panasonic had even less to do since they already had no mirror and simply changed the mount from micro 4/3 to L? You and I both know there's way, way more to it than that. The work involved in designing, prototyping and productionising those mirrorless platforms - even without the lenses - would make our eyes water.

Of course, having completed development of the first generation cameras, subsequent models arguably require somewhat less work since they build on what's already there... but even Sony's A7 MkII incorporated hugely significant internal and external changes over the original A7. They didn't just replace a couple of outdated components and stick a fresh new badge on it.

With respect, I think you grossly under-estimate how much R&D is required for even the smallest improvements, let alone a completely new system (whether mirrorless or DSLR)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-29-2020 at 03:34 AM.
11-29-2020, 02:42 AM   #67
Pentaxian

I don't have Fuji glass and shoot M42,
Ive done that too,with a speed booster as well as a straight thru adapter.One of the downsides is the weak focus peaking of the first gen.Its much better on the Xe2.

Some of the Fuji glass is pricey but there are bargains if you are patient.(X-M1 with 27mm,16-50 and 50-230 with a nice bag recently was the equivalent of U$D 175)

11-29-2020, 02:44 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The future is PHONE photography!...I read last year(dont remember where) that 95% of images captured are by phones.

Ofcourse phones cant do what highly sophisticated advanced cameras can do,but they do the basics of landscape,portrait,candid everyday shots.
Whilst I don't disagree completely, it does rather depend on why and how you shoot. If you just want an image, phones are fine but if you are more interested in physically creating the image then you need physical options. Photographers obsess about lens speed and quality, dial position, heft and balance. The phone may severely impact the viability of cameras but it will only replace one for people who have little interest in the art of making a photograph
11-29-2020, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
simply changed the mount from micro 4/3 to S?
It wasnt that simple,ya shoulda put the brakes on earlier and stopped at L!

---------- Post added 11-29-20 at 08:52 PM ----------

The phone may severely impact the viability of cameras but it will only replace one for people who have little interest in the art of making a photograph
Ive a friend who shoots Canon professionally,she uses her Iphone as much as possible because it does the job.

I use my phones more than i use my cameras for the same reason.Of course when better footage is needed the high end cameras are the ones to use.
11-29-2020, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #70
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I could make excuses, but the simple fact is I was confusing the Lumix "S" line with the mount name Thanks, Pete
11-29-2020, 03:08 AM   #71
Pentaxian

That is not the future, that is the present, and I had thought it was more like 99%.

But that does not mean the 1% is going to vanish. A small market for users of full sized cameras will remain for the forseable future, comprised of serious amateurs and professionals. I don't think most people (other than a minority of crazies) are going to happy to pay a pro to take their wedding photos if he turns up with a phone camera like any guest could have pulled out out of their pocket, not for a long time yet, by which time both phones and cameras could have evolved into something else anyway.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 11-29-2020 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Format
11-29-2020, 03:26 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

---------- Post added 11-29-20 at 08:52 PM ----------

Ive a friend who shoots Canon professionally,she uses her Iphone as much as possible because it does the job.

I use my phones more than i use my cameras for the same reason.Of course when better footage is needed the high end cameras are the ones to use.
"it does the job" says it all lol
One of the YouTube street guys says he knows people who shoot 100% on iphones, they are also used for pro videos. What they can do is astonishing you can still work on composition with a phone and it is still photography. We have photographic society members who enter them in competitions all that in something smaller than a bar of chocolate! I wonder if Douglas Adams knew what was coming when he wrote the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy! ... Right now, the phrase "DON'T PANIC!" is hugely appropriate

---------- Post added 11-29-20 at 03:39 AM ----------

One of the YouTube street guys says he knows people who shoot 100% on iphones, they are also used for pro videos. What they can do is astonishing you can still work on composition with a phone and it is still photography. We have photographic society members who enter them in competitions all that in something smaller than a bar of chocolate! I wonder if Douglas Adams knew what was coming when he wrote the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy! ... Right now, the phrase "DON'T PANIC!" is hugely appropriate
And we are still on topic, because phones are certainly mirrorless

Last edited by Cerebum; 11-29-2020 at 03:41 AM.
11-29-2020, 04:02 AM   #73
Pentaxian

I switched to a mirrorless earlier this year, didn’t have to sub out much in terms of gear and the camera itself suits me more.
EVF was an easy change for me, personally, although I do enjoy an OVF (and dabble with that on film).
All up, I’ve not really found much detriment to the change.

Granted, Pentax are better weather-sealed, but I’m using vintage lenses 99% of the time anyway so the weather sealing argument falls down there.
11-29-2020, 04:05 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Interesting views in that article. I tend to agree with some. I've started playing with a Sony A7C and it's a quality camera, small enough to really make a difference in some situations for me, but not a complete replacement over a DSLR. I see them working hand in hand.

Sony's AF is impressive, however.
I think most other brands to this point have significantly better auto focus than Pentax whether you are talking about SLRs or MILCs. How much faster is a A7C than a Nikon D780? I'm sure it has more auto focus points, but once you get to a certain point those aren't as important as how the camera uses them.

Hopefully that changes with the upcoming K-3 III, but I guess we'll see.
11-29-2020, 04:56 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Hopefully that changes with the upcoming K-3 III, but I guess we'll see.
All depends on the new processor and AU,because the sensor is the best available.I think the performance will be exceptional(i may even buy it!).