Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2020, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirrorless Isn't All It's Cracked Up to Be

Mirrorless Isn't All It's Cracked up To Be | Fstoppers

11-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Interesting article. Interesting comments as well, when people do not hesitate to qualify mirrorless as the latest major innovation. And when asked about the advantages, they are not many in fact... one even dared to mention IBIS as one of them! Misguided mortals.

I was not interested in Mirrorless and after what I have read, I am still definitely not interested. Glad to check that the greenest grass is still here!
11-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anyone on earth can have an opinion but they dont have the vision of 10 years down the track....it wont be the same game!
11-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It is what it is, nothing more and nothing less.

Apps? Meh...

Wireless integration? Meh...

Wireless tethering? Meh...

Wired tethering? YES!

Steve

11-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Anyone on earth can have an opinion but they dont have the vision of 10 years down the track....it wont be the same game!
I do believe the author is focused on things as they exist today. Purchase to fit your needs when those needs need to be met. For many of us, that is when our gear is nearing EOL, in the sense of getting ready to die. We don't upgrade without utility.

Steve
11-27-2020, 01:21 PM - 10 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The article and comments section are a mirror of multiple and combined threads here (and, I'm sure, every other photography forum). The author and (especially) his respondents are confusing their own opinions and preferences for statements of fact, when a large dose of subjectivity means the facts are different for each of us. We don't need folks telling us mirrorless is better, just as we don't need to tell them we think DSLRs are better (such discussions, I'm afraid, usually read as if they're motivated by insecurity or confirmation bias, even if the intent is sincere). All we need do is find out which we prefer and shoot with that.
11-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
All we need do is find out which we prefer and shoot with that.
Use both and use EVF,OVF and Hybrid!
11-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Use both and use EVF,OVF and Hybrid!
If that's what the individual wants, then yes - absolutely... but if they prefer a purist optical or full electronic type, then so be it

11-27-2020, 01:38 PM - 9 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A DSLR can operate in mirrorless mode with all the potential frame-rate, video, sensor-wide dense AF points, etc. advantages of full-time sensor operation, processing, and display.

A mirrorless camera cannot be operated in OVF mode. Sorry, but MILCs are downgraded DSLRs with surgically diminished functionality.

At least that's how I see it.
11-27-2020, 01:54 PM - 8 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, just tell me real – not perceived – differences, and let me make my own decisions and choices.
  • Apple vs Windows? – Surprise. Both get the job done.
  • Ford vs Chevrolet? Surprise. Both get you there.
  • Vanilla vs Chocolate? Surprise. They are both tasty.

Media (print, video, blogs, social, etc.) loves to foist opinions on us and make pronouncements and choices for us. Not for me.

As Jack Webb used to say on the old TV show, Dragnet, (is anyone else old enough to remember Dragnet?), "The facts, ma'am. Just the facts."
11-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
A DSLR can operate in mirrorless mode with all the potential frame-rate, video, sensor-wide dense AF points, etc. advantages of full-time sensor operation, processing, and display.
Which actual Dslr does what an R5 does?
11-27-2020, 02:06 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I kinda do not get all the war between DSLR and MILC. I used rangefinder digital cam (P&S rangefinder, those were good times), MILC without EVF and now using DSLR. All those cameras were great, got me lot of pictures I still like too look at. And to be honset i kinda miss my zombie-mode MILC. This white Samsung was nice camera, even if only with kit lens.

Camera is camera, I think I am not tech geek enough to worry about camera type I am using. Why people are so agressive about it? Sometimes discussions about MILC and DSLR looking like war between iPhone and Android users
11-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

A mirrorless camera cannot be operated in OVF mode.
The hybrid Fujis can, just not with big lenses.

---------- Post added 11-28-20 at 08:07 AM ----------

At least that's how I see it.
yes, of course...you need an OVF!
11-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A proper mirrorless will probably have some advantage in pictures taken without a tripod due to the absence of a mirror slap. I can't use the LV on my K-30 because instead of 2 slaps I get 4.

Also, there will be an advantage when shooting in low light, due to the fact that one will have a hard time discerning objects in the blackness of an OVF. This any LV can do.
11-27-2020, 02:42 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, there are advantages and disadvantages to each depending on use case and personal preferences. I've lost count of how many times I've stated that... really, I have. Whether it's Nikon (or any other) vs Pentax, DSLR vs mirrorless, APS-C vs full frame, old-school lens versus modern super-corrected, lens protective filter vs none... all that matters is how well it suits the individual. That's what defines whether it's good / bad / best / worst, and that classification is only relevant to that individual. It's so subjective, I wonder why we continue to debate. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks... what matters is that we select the equipment that suits our individual needs. We don't need to convince others that we made the right or better choice

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-27-2020 at 02:50 PM.