Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2020, 03:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Color science, white balance, web presentation *perception* - majority opinions

There is a pretty well made video on "color science" and white balance on current smartphones here:

It definitely is worth watching and the content absolutely applies (to different degrees) to ILC photographers and their audience just the same.

Even though the vlogger says this is "not scientific", it actually is probably more scientifically robust than most anything you can read on forums or blogs - simply because 10 million (!) votes were collected and the compared shots were cleverly chosen and set-up.

So "best* color", "best white balance" etc. goes to ASUS Zenfone 7 pro. Apple products are just crappy.

*="best" is always subjective opinion. And here 10 million votes were clear.

12-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very well made and presented. You have to watch it all the way to the end to get a good recommendation which is given at the finish.
12-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Stop the steal! I like the way the methodological flaws are unmasked. A real test would be uncompressed views online or prints viewed in person.

Last edited by officiousbystander; 12-05-2020 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Additional comment
12-06-2020, 12:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I don't like about most of these tests is that they are in full auto mode. I shoot in manual mode on my phone most of the time and can get much better shots than in auto mode. These tests are good for those that just point and tap, but are almost useless for more technical users.

His closing was spot on, though. It doesn't matter much what your photo looks like if all you do is post to social media. It's probably going to be half ruined by their compression anyway.

12-06-2020, 03:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice video. I wouldn’t vote for the final winner. Maybe this is a sign that people have started to appreciate more natural looking cell photography.
12-06-2020, 05:39 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Stop the steal! I like the way the methodological flaws are unmasked. A real test would be uncompressed views online or prints viewed in person.
Don't think too many people would be printing photos out of their phones
12-06-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote

Well, this is about democratic majorities, not exotic geeks. Online JPGs is THE way for photos.

Aside from that "printing" is probably worse than Twitter versus Insta due to the massive color and quality differences between print providers. And print providers are not globally standardized, so you could run this test only with a deliberately chosen local chain, which is irrelevant to 95% of the population.

The typical print is A4 or smaller (photobooks), so that also annihilates most aspects other than color.

---------- Post added 6th Dec 2020 at 16:12 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
Don't think too many people would be printing photos out of their phones
Probably a lot more than there even are people with ILC in total. And the latter group in general doesn't print in a significant way either.