Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2020, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
shirely, you geste

12-09-2020, 05:51 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I guess I should mention that I do refer to my SMC A* 400/2.8 as the Legend but that is really the only one that has a name. When I had gotten it after searching for over a year I kind of wished that I had been a canon or nikon shooter as finding a used one of their 400/2.8 lenses would have been easier and I could have possibly gotten one of the Fresnel lens ones that is much lighter. Then I saw some astro pics taken with them and realized that they have awful coma, star bloat, and field curvature when doing astro and was pleased. Now I just make other shooters jealous with what I can do with at single shot wit it not off of an equatorial.
Oh yeah, that one has earned the moniker for sure. I've considered picking through the scraps at ebay to try to salvage one without selling my car...

Man.. I could do some serious AP with one of those. Do you get any CA fringing on bright stars using it? My mileage has varied with smc lenses, but they're generally better than the uncoated knockoffs. Seems they'll call anything and a cat's butt APO these days(grumbles about skywatcher).
TBO the little 600mm/f4 newtonian gets the most light right now(too lazy to change the rig). - I don't have a name for it, but my neighbors think it's a remote sentry gun... come to think of it I have been getting much better gas mileage since that joke went around.
lol

#The Night cannon

Last edited by blues_hawk; 12-09-2020 at 05:56 AM. Reason: wonky smlleys
12-09-2020, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #33
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

and to think I just name mine after mythical characters...
12-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #34
Pentaxian

There are no myths - just truths that have not yet been universally accepted.

12-09-2020, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
Do you get any CA fringing on bright stars using it?
Not that I can tell even when running it wide open but there is a little bit of star bloat wide open. Also wide open there is some coma in the corners even on APS-C but it is minor. Shortly after getting the lens I gave it a fairly comprehensive test and found that it basically becomes perfect when running at f/3.5. The coma is gone and the stars get to their smallest size at this point. Also it really needs a filter in the filter holder without it performance drops noticeably for astro. I tested it with no filter, a hoya red intensifier (poor mans light pollution filter), and the top of the line ProMaster UV multi-coated filter.

Another thing I found was that using the 1.4X-L rear converter seems to make the lens better. Using it with that converter I can run wide open (f/4) and can't find even the minor issues I saw with just the lens wide open. I did stop it down out to f/8 and the only difference I found was that got more noise after equalizing the brightness of the test shots.
12-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not that I can tell even when running it wide open but there is a little bit of star bloat wide open. Also wide open there is some coma in the corners even on APS-C but it is minor. Shortly after getting the lens I gave it a fairly comprehensive test and found that it basically becomes perfect when running at f/3.5. The coma is gone and the stars get to their smallest size at this point. Also it really needs a filter in the filter holder without it performance drops noticeably for astro. I tested it with no filter, a hoya red intensifier (poor mans light pollution filter), and the top of the line ProMaster UV multi-coated filter.

Another thing I found was that using the 1.4X-L rear converter seems to make the lens better. Using it with that converter I can run wide open (f/4) and can't find even the minor issues I saw with just the lens wide open. I did stop it down out to f/8 and the only difference I found was that got more noise after equalizing the brightness of the test shots.
I got one of those red intensifiers a while back too, along with a light red B+W that has made me a fan of that company. I'm not sure which one I like better, though the B+w really drives off the blue end of lp and is a lovely little brass tank, the Hoya just looks awesome when applied to landscape shots, especially around sunset - which I think was it's original claim to fame. It hasn't hurt my stationary and gps night shots either.
I've never hd any luck with my tc's but then they're super cheap knock offs I got with other lenses and stuff. I will confess to buying that horrid 3x cpc though.

Just to pretend to stay on topic, I bought a scrap fast 50 pentax-m 50mm/f1.4 for 30$ on a complete gamble last year and I'm calling it "Zombie", actually I think I'll call it Tae chan after my favorite zombieland saga character. :P

I thought the gamble was a total loss after cleaning revealed what appeared to be balsam separation in the rear group. I tried a couple of the usual tricks to see if I could get the lenses apart to clean them but nothing worked, including the somewhat terrifying boiling water soak, which was the last resort before I put it back together still a bit hazy, took a few lackluster test shots to compare my work and stuffed it in a lens can in the extras box. I guess I just needed to wait a while because I got it out recently and found it clear as a bell! --and yep... those things are cool! Even though the sensor crop makes the fov look a bit long on my aps-c k50, you can dial dof to nearly nothing and make almost(not a selfie guy) any portrait look amazing.
12-09-2020, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Hoya red intensifier really does a good job of getting rid of the LP from sodium vapor lamps and when I am in my back yard I will use it as my city really like dual arm sodium vapor lamps with big round globes on them. Where I usually shoot astro there is a lot less light pollution (I go from a bright bortle 8 in my back yard to a dark 5) and it is a mix of sodium vapor, murcury vapor, LED, incandescent, and florescent so using the hoya there just throws things off.

Cheap teleconverters are generally awful I have a 2x M42 one and is sucks. The 1.4X-L however is exceptional as it was designed with those big slabs of glass in mind so does actually improve the resolving power by basically 1.4x.

I bought a scrap fast 50 pentax-m 50mm/f1.4 for 30$ on a complete gamble last year and I'm calling it "Zombie", actually I think I'll call it Tae chan after my favorite zombieland saga character. :P
Those old 50/1.4 are are great (all of them and you really can't go wrong) but if you ever get a chance to get one of the A 50/1.2 lenses do it. At 1.2 it is a blast and ultra glowy but stopped down a bit it renders a lot like the 77ltd. That was one of 2 lenses that I basically stole because the store mispriced them badly so they really screwed whom ever they bought them used off of. I planned on getting them trying them and flipping them for a quick 3x return but instead still own them both. I actually found I didn't like my other 50s on APS-C because I was so use to them on film and the FoV felt awkward since I never had anything near 75mm with film but the A 50/1.2 made me fall in love again.

12-10-2020, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

All of my cameras have names.....

I usually pick their name based on the the Cameras manufacturer or model type so my K1000 is called Kate and my Olympus OMs are Olympia and Ophelia. I wont bore you with a complete list but one of my Minoltas is called ‘Beauty’ as she was bought from an eBayer who said she was a beauty...beautiful condition blah blah. In fact she had a jammed focus ring, jammed aperture, fungus, broken focus screen and missing her aperture mirror. She was fully repaired and runs fine now. Anyway the name stuck as everytime partner asked what camera I was working on I would say ‘oh the beautiful one of course’

My latest acquistion is called Virginia as I doubt she was ever used, so minty I doubt she ever saw a roll of film. Total bargain on eBay just for once.
12-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #39
Pentaxian

So - 'Yes, Virginia - there IS a Santa Claus' !!
12-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
All of my cameras have names.....

I usually pick their name based on the the Cameras manufacturer or model type so my K1000 is called Kate and my Olympus OMs are Olympia and Ophelia. I wont bore you with a complete list but one of my Minoltas is called ‘Beauty’ as she was bought from an eBayer who said she was a beauty...beautiful condition blah blah. In fact she had a jammed focus ring, jammed aperture, fungus, broken focus screen and missing her aperture mirror. She was fully repaired and runs fine now. Anyway the name stuck as everytime partner asked what camera I was working on I would say ‘oh the beautiful one of course’

My latest acquistion is called Virginia as I doubt she was ever used, so minty I doubt she ever saw a roll of film. Total bargain on eBay just for once.
Good stuff there!
12-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
There are no myths - just truths that have not yet been universally accepted.
LOL!
12-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I planned on getting them trying them and flipping them for a quick 3x return but instead still own them both. I actually found I didn't like my other 50s on APS-C because I was so use to them on film and the FoV felt awkward since I never had anything near 75mm with film but the A 50/1.2 made me fall in love again.
I have the same feeling about the 50mm's, and got caught up in all the legends, only to finally decide aps-c doesn't really like them all that much for anything but portraits. I'm also drawn to anything large aperture(AP folks understand this) I've collected a Pentax-A 50/2 and a couple Pentax-m 50/1.7's I seldom use - these don't have names yet :P.
I've seen those mythical f1.2 unicorns but they're like jewelry level expensive now.(grumbles about skyrocketing Oly lenses making them look cheaper now)
12-13-2020, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #43
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the same feeling about the 50mm's, and got caught up in all the legends, only to finally decide aps-c doesn't really like them all that much for anything but portraits. I'm also drawn to anything large aperture(AP folks understand this) I've collected a Pentax-A 50/2 and a couple Pentax-m 50/1.7's I seldom use - these don't have names yet :P.
I've seen those mythical f1.2 unicorns but they're like jewelry level expensive now.(grumbles about skyrocketing Oly lenses making them look cheaper now)
I only have three f1.2 lenses (Freyja, Selene, and Scarlett)....

they can be a dangerously expensive addiction...
12-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #44
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
It's good to know I'm not alone...
12-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's good to know I'm not alone...
No Kerrowdown you are not but recently a problem arose for me. I have to come up with a better way to store the ever-growing family of optics. I had put my beautiful 50 f/1.2 in a box with some, as I see now, dirty characters for just a few months. Now she is "Untouchable" with a fungus on the surface and around the edges of her front element. A local, very trusted lens doctor is attempting to treat her and I'm hoping for the best. Only one other lens I've had, the M35 f/2, ever had any fungal growth. I have discarded a number of the old style original Pentax hard cases because they seem to get pretty musty no matter where they are. I no longer think it wise to store a lens in them and they seem to get in the way during practical use anyways.

Kerrowdown, what kind of storage is your harem living in?