Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bluestem Quote
Gotta love those random glitches. Dell seems to have one of the better warranties compared to others including LG. Something to consider.
Also consider how long you intend to use the monitor. Mine was many years out of warranty when the oddball behavior began occurring. Still, longer warranties strike me as an indication that the manufacturer expects its product to last for a while.

12-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Still, longer warranties strike me as an indication that the manufacturer expects its product to last for a while.
I think in general this is true...longer warranty=better reliability. However it's not always true. For example there have been some auto makers with over industry norm years and miles warranties on what I would consider average quality cars. The warranty was used more as an incentive to counteract concerns over quality and to boost sales.

I've also seen entry level cameras outlast flagships...completely counterintuitive considering the materials and design. But sometimes the entry level is made bullet proof to gain loyalty whereas the flagship will be repaired and maintained because the owner has a bigger investment.
12-14-2020, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I think in general this is true...longer warranty=better reliability. However it's not always true. For example there have been some auto makers with over industry norm years and miles warranties on what I would consider average quality cars. The warranty was used more as an incentive to counteract concerns over quality and to boost sales.
A similar thing happened with LG on their phones. The G4 and V10's suffered from a bootloop problem due to an inferior solder used. While it was just a one off problem (they are generally solid phones), they got a big reputation hit and came out with a 2 year warranty standard on subsequent phones.

QuoteQuote:
I've also seen entry level cameras outlast flagships...completely counterintuitive considering the materials and design. But sometimes the entry level is made bullet proof to gain loyalty whereas the flagship will be repaired and maintained because the owner has a bigger investment.
It could also be that entry level cameras aren't used as much, and in less severe environments. A camera used to snap a few photos of your kids at the park now and then is likely to last a lot longer than the pro putting a couple thousand clicks on every weekend in various environments (including inclement weather) at a sporting event. Put the entry level camera in that situation, and it'll be toast in no time.
12-15-2020, 12:20 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
It could also be that entry level cameras aren't used as much, and in less severe environments. A camera used to snap a few photos of your kids at the park now and then is likely to last a lot longer than the pro putting a couple thousand clicks on every weekend in various environments (including inclement weather) at a sporting event. Put the entry level camera in that situation, and it'll be toast in no time.
That's probably true most the time, but my personal anecdote was as an overworked photographer 6 days a week, mostly outdoors 12-18 hours/day.

This was back in the film days and I could "only" afford two flagship Nikon F3HP. I needed a third camera and bought a cheap N2000. The salesman laughed at me and warned me the lack of weather seals, plastic gears, lesser manufacturing quality, the N2000 would die in 6 months. Well, one F3 had a shutter release actuation issue in less than 6 months and the other had to be repaired in 18 months. That entry level N2000 that shot the same amount of rolls as the F3 has never been repaired and is still working 35 years later. Anomaly? Probably, but it really skews my opinion.

Did you get the LG?

12-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did you get the LG?
Not yet, but interesting story. I saw a 4K IPS panel 55" LG tv for sale for the same price. I mentioned it to the wife because our current one is some off brand and sometimes makes characters look like zombies (grayish blotchy skin tones, usually in darker scenes). So when she asked which I wanted, I drug out the "why not both" meme, and she could only reply that I'm expensive. Lol.
12-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not yet, but interesting story. I saw a 4K IPS panel 55" LG tv for sale for the same price. I mentioned it to the wife because our current one is some off brand and sometimes makes characters look like zombies (grayish blotchy skin tones, usually in darker scenes). So when she asked which I wanted, I drug out the "why not both" meme, and she could only reply that I'm expensive. Lol.
Although one can always overpay for a brand, in general, you do get what you pay for. My current 55" TV is a Sony Bravia which was a significant amount more than the LG or Samsung models, but I can hear and see the difference, so it's worth it to me. But even Sony has different levels of models in the same size and although I won't get the lowest model, I don't need the highest either.
12-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Although one can always overpay for a brand, in general, you do get what you pay for. My current 55" TV is a Sony Bravia which was a significant amount more than the LG or Samsung models, but I can hear and see the difference, so it's worth it to me. But even Sony has different levels of models in the same size and although I won't get the lowest model, I don't need the highest either.
Most brands have several tiers of models, with everything from high-priced flagship lines with all the latest technology to bargain basement stuff that you'll see at your local wholesale club.

12-20-2020, 12:02 PM   #23
Lev
Veteran Member

What do you guys think about OLED monitors?
12-20-2020, 12:51 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
What do you guys think about OLED monitors?
I would only tolerate that for videos. They are subject to burn in, so leaving static images up (I.e. Editing and even gaming) could cause the display to go south and why I call them self destructive displays. There's a good test article here, and LG replaced their OLED tv's in an airport with LCD's due to burn in.

I personally don't view in dim lighting where the LCD's lesser contrast is apparent, but I've heard adding some bias lighting behind the monitor/tv will improve it. You can get those USB RGB light strips for cheap that you can stick around the rear of the monitor/tv.
12-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #25
Lev
Veteran Member

I would only tolerate that for videos. They are subject to burn in, so leaving static images up (I.e. Editing and even gaming) could cause the display to go south and why I call them self destructive displays. There's a good test article here, and LG replaced their OLED tv's in an airport with LCD's due to burn in.

I personally don't view in dim lighting where the LCD's lesser contrast is apparent, but I've heard adding some bias lighting behind the monitor/tv will improve it. You can get those USB RGB light strips for cheap that you can stick around the rear of the monitor/tv.
Yeah, this technology isn't there yet.
12-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Color accuracy is meaningless if you don't have something to calibrate the monitor. These monitors (especially at this price) are often not calibrated from the factory and you'd need to purchase a spyder or similar device to get a profile suitable for color work.

It's personally why I haven't even bothered upgrading my monitor for my photo editing, it'd barely be an upgrade until I could properly calibrate it...
12-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Color accuracy is meaningless if you don't have something to calibrate the monitor. These monitors (especially at this price) are often not calibrated from the factory and you'd need to purchase a spyder or similar device to get a profile suitable for color work.

It's personally why I haven't even bothered upgrading my monitor for my photo editing, it'd barely be an upgrade until I could properly calibrate it...
That is on the list, but I need a monitor worth calibrating first.
12-31-2020, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My wife surprised me with this model instead for Christmas. Well, kinda because she already knew which ones I was considering.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-27ul600-w-27-ips-led-4k-uhd-freesync-monitor...?skuId=6329956

I haven't got it permanently set up yet, but so far I'm loving it and the extra viewing space it affords. The top image is my laptop's built in 13" (or thereabouts) screen, and the bottom is the new monitor. Both have the photo zoomed in 1:1. Depending on how much I crop a photo, it almost puts an end to panning around at that zoom level.

My initial plan was to feed it 1080p then upscale it in the monitor settings. When I initially plugged it in and did the display setup it automatically fed full 4k to the monitor. That was a pleasant surprise. It only does so at 30Hz (the monitor is rated at 60Hz refresh) and I do see some minor ghosting/artifacts if I try to move things around too much but that's somewhat rare and doesn't impact editing at all. I'm also only using SDR instead of HDR. So yay, I get to use the full resolution. For those concerned about text being too small, not really an issue. I can read everything just fine.

Now to just get it calibrated. I somewhat rough adjusted it by eyeballing it compared to a print, so it's a bit better than out of the box.
Attached Images

01-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #29
Pentaxian

There you go. Your laptop's integrated graphics have surprised you, and you're computing in 4K.
04-24-2021, 08:59 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read some news about the new iPad Pro (largest size) that supposedly has an XDR screen - hitch might make it ideal for editing, and for such a screen spec relatively affordable. Relatively! But would it really work well, software wise on an iPad?
i'm talking as the soon to be owner of a K-3 III, without much software experience beyond quickly using Capture One for scanned analogue photos.