Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2020, 01:13 AM - 4 Likes   #106
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The reason being, the corporations who makes the product will have their reputation affected by the quality of repair, and have no control over who gets the parts will end their ability to enforce standards in the repair of their product.
Most people who have a fault with their camera inside warranty are going to use the authorised service centre, because they don't want to pay for the repair. Maybe a small handful would choose an independent who will charge them, purely for convenience (I'm thinking mainly those folks who live in countries where authorised service centres don't exist). But the primary use of independents - and any attempts at amateur owner repairs - will be for out-of-warranty equipment... and I don't support the wishes of manufacturers to limit my repair options on an item that's outside of warranty. I also have a tough time believing Ricoh cares all that much what I do with my seven-year-old K-3, other than to replace it with a brand new camera. Still, on the off-chance it might, broken warranty seals - if applied - could provide ample evidence of whether the camera had been fiddled with by someone other than the authorised repairer.

On the subject of maintaining reputation, Ricoh's own authorised service centres haven't always done a stand-out job in this respect... and issues such as DA* SDM motor failure, K-30 / K-50 aperture control solenoid, the K-5 lens release button and others have led to some adventurous folks opening up their cameras anyway. Limited parts availability hasn't stopped them from doing so... and their investigations and findings into the cause of such problems haven't helped Pentax' reputation one bit. My point being, limiting parts availability for out-of-warranty repairs isn't likely to maintain reputation.

I could be spouting complete nonsense here... These are just my opinions and, as I stated earlier in the thread, from my own perspective I'm already reconciled to the fact that my existing cameras - all of which are now well outside warranty and considerably depreciated in value - are essentially disposable if and when they should fail. I take good care of my cameras and don't use them excessively, so if one of them fails I'll be a little disappointed - but I'll get over it I'll sell it for parts and put the money towards (a) a replacement camera (perhaps new, perhaps used), (b) some other photographic gear, (c) my other interests and pastimes, or - most likely - (d) household maintenance and bills. If I were able to repair it economically, though - either myself or using an independent shop - Ricoh's reputation in my eyes would only grow...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-14-2020 at 05:50 AM.
12-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
On the subject of maintaining reputation, Ricoh's own authorised service centres haven't always done a stand-out job in this respect...
This, unfortunately, is not only a Ricoh/Pentax issue. I've known plenty of authorized service centers (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc) that have fallen short of expectations. From my own experience, Sony has been the worst.
12-14-2020, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #108
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
This, unfortunately, is not only a Ricoh/Pentax issue. I've known plenty of authorized service centers (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc) that have fallen short of expectations. From my own experience, Sony has been the worst.
For sure. Just to clarify, my point wasn't a swipe at Ricoh specifically, but the general situation that authorised service centres aren't necessarily doing a great job for reputation of the brands. Pentax is indeed just one of those...
12-14-2020, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For sure. Just to clarify, my point wasn't a swipe at Ricoh specifically, but the general situation that authorised service centres aren't necessarily doing a great job for reputation of the brands. Pentax is indeed just one of those...
No worries. I didn't take it as a 'swipe'. I just wanted others to know that my own experience with Pentax service has been par and that others with much more money and means and reputation have had more issues with parts availability, obsolescence, ineffective repair, etc.

12-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All this talk about the standards of service centre performance makes me wonder whether or not a poll, or perhaps a questionnaire, to rank them internationally mightn’t be a bad idea. I’ve only had a few encounters with ours here in Australia, but I couldn’t fault them. Elsewhere, others haven’t had the same good experience, it seems.
12-15-2020, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
All this talk about the standards of service centre performance makes me wonder whether or not a poll, or perhaps a questionnaire, to rank them internationally mightn’t be a bad idea.
We have truly, and sadly, become a disposable consumer economy that is in part, reflected by the degradation of service centers. I remember when car dealerships were the only place to go to get things fixed and maintained well, but independent shops now represent the spectrum of much better and worse service options.
12-24-2020, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Environmental stewardship and the Right to Repair -- How to Make Technology Greener

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
We have truly, and sadly, become a disposable consumer economy
A recent piece from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation: How to make technology greener? Make it easier to repair, advocates say | CBC News

An interesting quote from the article: A CBC News investigation in 2018 found Apple often overestimated the cost of repairs to its products and threatened third-party shops willing to fix them for less. (Apple said its customers were best served by "certified experts using genuine parts").

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-24-2020 at 11:24 AM.
12-25-2020, 02:53 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
A recent piece from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation: How to make technology greener? Make it easier to repair, advocates say | CBC News

An interesting quote from the article: A CBC News investigation in 2018 found Apple often overestimated the cost of repairs to its products and threatened third-party shops willing to fix them for less. (Apple said its customers were best served by "certified experts using genuine parts").

- Craig
Yep. A friend of mine had an issue with the display on his macbook something like 3 or 4 years ago. The Apple store people said the humidity sensor indicated water damage and wanted 500€ for the repair (whole screen replacement or somesuch).
He took it to a repair technician friend of his - the issue was that the cable connecting the display and the motherboard was too short and it breaks after opening the lid one too many times. Guy charged him 50€ or so in total, problem fixed.
12-26-2020, 06:07 AM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a Canon G series compact which was a marvelous little camera. Ridiculously good resolution and shadow detail. The rear LCD went black. I contacted Canon and they had me send it, plus $110, to their US service facility. Two months later I received the “repaired” camera. Yes, it had a shiny new LCD. Unfortunately, when they tore into the camera, they knocked the sensor out of alignment with the lens. The left side of any photo was out of focus. I contacted the Canon service center, repeatedly, finally getting the reply “ We are sorry, replacement optics or sensors are no longer available for your camera model.”
No other reply. Junk camera.
12-26-2020, 06:54 AM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I had a Canon G series compact which was a marvelous little camera. Ridiculously good resolution and shadow detail. The rear LCD went black. I contacted Canon and they had me send it, plus $110, to their US service facility. Two months later I received the “repaired” camera. Yes, it had a shiny new LCD. Unfortunately, when they tore into the camera, they knocked the sensor out of alignment with the lens. The left side of any photo was out of focus. I contacted the Canon service center, repeatedly, finally getting the reply “ We are sorry, replacement optics or sensors are no longer available for your camera model.”
No other reply. Junk camera.
Wow! That’s horrible.